AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since music will be in stereo, what would the benefit be running a coax digital cable instead of RCA cables for audio, RCA cables priced at the same level as a coaxial digital cable would do the job better?

EK

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikderek /forum/post/14330154

Since music will be in stereo, what would the benefit be running a coax digital cable instead of RCA cables for audio, RCA cables priced at the same level as a coaxial digital cable would do the job better?

The cables are irrelevant. The difference is in where the music is converted from digital to analog. With a digital connection the signal is passed to the receiver and the receiver's DACs convert it. With an RCA connection, the player's DACs are utilized. That said, the importance of this is not simply the difference in the DACs, but other differences between the path the signal takes in each case within each component, as well. Whether you would hear a difference between the two routes that could be definitively attributed to one or the other components is arguable. Making a proper comparison is not as simple as one may think. Even if you could remove all the confounding variables, and could hear a difference, deciding which "difference" you preferred is difficult, at best. And if you could really hear a difference, you may find that for one CD you preferred one route yet for another CD, you preferred the other route. Hell, you may even find that your preference varied from song to song on the same CD.

Cables are cheap enough. Why don't you simply experiment with each connection method? If you need to pointed to an inexpensive coaxial cable, we can do it for you. If you have a yellow-ended video cable laying around that will work fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply tonight as well. I tried both and let the Mrs be the judge, she's have natural skills/talent when it comes to sound (she's used to sign and play in plays, even recorded her own cd once, lol). Besides the obvious that the receiver could be on less volume (db) with higher volume coming from the speakers with coax than RCA, she said it was more "filling" sound with coax (I agreed) and more clean, of course she didn't know which was which.

Since it almost 9 pm here and no stores are open I simply used a single RCA cable to connect the digital coax, maybe a high end coax would be better, but most likely not. We used Coldplays latest as reference cd.

EK

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikderek /forum/post/14330485

Since it almost 9 pm here and no stores are open I simply used a single RCA cable to connect the digital coax, maybe a high end coax would be better, but most likely not. We used Coldplays latest as reference cd.

If it works, it works. The only requirement for a cable to be called "digital coax" is for it to be 75ohm cable. Perhaps your is, or it just happens to be sufficient enough to get the binary info to the receiver. If you experience any dropouts, etc., you can replace it. You can order one very inexpensively from Monoprice (or other online distributor), btw.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I googled around and found Digital Coaxial and Fiber Coaxial Digital, since they have the same connectors at both ends, the diffrence most be the interior fo cable copper vs. fiber?

EK

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
Fiber and coax are not "interchangable" based on a connector. You would require an optical to electrical signalling conversion.

Coax to coax... copper (electrical)

Toslink to Toslink... fiber (optical)

Coax to Toslink (or vice versa)... a converter is required.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure what a "Fiber Coaxial Digital" cable is, especially one that has RCA ends. Fiber optic cables (toslink) can transmit a digital signal, but the connectors for such cables are completely different from the RCAs found on a coax cable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14330854

Fiber and coax are not "interchangable" based on a connector. You would require an optical to electrical signalling conversion.

Coax to coax... copper (electrical)

Toslink to Toslink... fiber (optical)

Coax to Toslink (or vice versa)... a converter is required.

I know this is the case to, I know the diffrent from fiber and copper, that's why I got confused, here's the link:
http://www.jr.com/monster-cable/pe/MC_THXI100DCX_hy_8/

EK

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
"JR" has a major typo... it's a copper coax cable.

If you have any composite (yellow) cables laying around, use it. That's all you need.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikderek /forum/post/14330485

EK

I allready did.

EK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts