AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new A/V receiver with one subwoofer output. I also recently purchased a second subwoofer. I made my old sub cable with rg6 quad shielded cable.

My question is this: Can I use a coaxial splitter (like cable/OTA splitter) instead of a Y-splitter? I like the security of a threaded F connector over the push on type because all the wiring will be located in a "not so easy to access" crawl space. The ends of course would terminate in the usual RCA type connectors.

Thanks,

Bob.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard /forum/post/20882765

Why didn't you use RG-59 and get an RCA Y-adapter?

The cables are in a crawl space and it's awkward to move around. I literally "crawl" throughout the space. The reason I want to go with something other than RCA connections is reliability. I believe the BNCs, with RG59 or RG6 quad shielded cable, under the house is the ticket. I will use RCAs to connect to the subs in the living space.

Bob.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W /forum/post/20884785

The cables are in a crawl space and it's awkward to move around. I literally "crawl" throughout the space. The reason I want to go with something other than RCA connections is reliability. I believe the BNCs, with RG59 or RG6 quad shielded cable, under the house is the ticket. I will use RCAs to connect to the subs in the living space.

Bob.

I personally would avoid putting any unnecessary connections in a crawl space. Could you put the split behind the receiver and bring both cables up to it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/20887657

I personally would avoid putting any unnecessary connections in a crawl space. Could you put the split behind the receiver and bring both cables up to it?

Yes I could..., but that would add to the spaghetti mess of wires I already have in a small, ventilated closet. The speaker wires also go into the wall and down to the crawl space through small holes. With all the other wires going through those holes, it may be a bit challenging to add 1 more. I also have an existing RG6 quad shielded cable in place from an old, unused satellite system. All I have to do with the sat cable is change the end to an RCA connection going into the subwoofer outlet on my receiver, add a splitter in the crawl space, make 2 cables going to the subwoofers, secure them to the subfloor, and feed those cables to the subs. The subs are at opposite ends of the room.

Bob.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.