AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is going coaxial to his Sony CRT from his cable STB. He could go Svid, but I'm curious... since the source cable (from Comcast) is coming in coax, wouldn't coax be the purest passing of the signal?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Coax is a cable type, not a signal type. S-video carries a Y/C signal while coax carries RF. The cable box tunes a single channel out of a wide range. To send it out again, it needs to modulate the signal again and the TV needs to tune it again. It's the worst output on the cable box.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Coax is the RF output - its the worst quality. Use s-video or composite output for higher quality from an SD cable box, but if you have an HD box you need to use component or DVI connnection to get HD formats.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
Coax is a cable type, not a signal type. S-video carries a Y/C signal while coax carries RF. The cable box tunes a single channel out of a wide range. To send it out again, it needs to modulate the signal again and the TV needs to tune it again. It's the worst output on the cable box.
Thanks grey. Actually I knew coax was not a signal type. I guess my wording was a bit off. But since it has been forever since I connected anything with coax to my tv (I had been using Svid for years and now use DVI to my plasma) I was curious as to why Svid cable is better if the "source" cable is coax/RF. Your explanation of the modulation makes sense.

Thanks again for your help. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.