AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! So I originally bought a Fusion 8 center channel with the hopes of building that set, and then the towers were discontinued, so I had to adjust fire a bit and bought the Cobalt 8s instead. I moved in with my lady right before COVID lockdowns hit, and her new place has the perfect built ins for some speakers. The house was built in 2008, so the spot for the TV is just too small for a 55" TV, which is pretty much the smallest size if you want a TV with any sort of decent features and build. We started off using a VISIO from like 6 years ago which was terrible, and then when it went on sale I snagged a CX OLED LG set which is such a huge improvement it was amazing.

Back to the speakers though, the TV speakers just don't cut it after you've heard dedicated ones. So I grabbed one of the last sets before they got pulled from the DIYSoundGroup store.
20200503_190807.jpg
This was my dry fit, or my first glue up of the flat packs, which were awesome. Anyone who has built the Cobalt 8's will notice I used the braces for the TM Left and Right Channels here instead of the ones for the Center channel. That came back to bite me in the ass later sine they are not the same size. That's what I get for not doing a full tape up dry fit.
signal-2020-06-06-173854.jpg
Got the cabinets build and the crossovers installed before the baffles went on. Thanks again to @Erich H for an amazing packing job, with everything labeled and put together in a super organized way.

20201115_130805.jpg 20201115_130816.jpg
This is after a few coats of primer and wood filler. This is still a learning process for me. I got the bondo wood filler which worked really well for getting most of the seams hidden, but next time I will do the bondo body filler on top of the primer to get it glass smooth. It really needed an HVLP gun to spray on a high build primer. This was done with Kilz roll on and spray on primer. It turned out good enough, but not as nice as I would have liked.

signal-2020-08-29-170723.jpg signal-2020-08-29-190940.jpg
About this time my lady's uncle upgraded his monitors to some McIntosh monitors, and he'd been fighting with the signal from his Marantz NR1607 for about a year (Turned out to be a bad HDMI cable, which I suggested may be the issue) so he gave me the KRK Monitors and the receiver for $200. Pretty smokin' deal, and was an huge improvement over the tv speakers.

20201210_153342.jpg 20201210_153350.jpg 20201210_153404.jpg 20201214_154129.jpg
Got some color sprayed on the Cobalts. Went with a Rustoleum metallic black since metallic can hide a lot of sins. Took my time and hit them with probably 4-5 coats over the course of a couple days.

20201216_151545.jpg 20201216_151541.jpg 20201216_151536.jpg
Then hit them with 3 cans of the Rustoleum Clear enamel. Again just misting on probably like 6-7 coats over the course of a couple hours as the paint would flash. They turned out pretty good, and if I wanted to, there is enough paint to use a polish and cut and buff them, but at this point I was pretty ready to be done with the project, so I didn't bother. It also helps that in the built in, you can only see the baffles anyways.

20201220_102339.jpg 20201220_134213.jpg 20201220_134218.jpg
So the built in was sized for a square format TV, for whatever reason. I don't think those even existed in 2008, but maybe they just did it so the proportions worked. Either way, it provided me the opportunity to build a shelf above the TV for the Center Channel. I used some leftover cherry faced ply that my dad had lying around, ironed on some edge banding, and then stained it with some stain the previous owners had left us, and the match is pretty damn close. I was happy with it, an then once we reinstalled the TV, you can't even see the shelf anyways, which is good because it is slightly bowing, haha.

20201220_142059.jpg

So here's the final product! The receiver is underneath in the cabinets, and the house has built in height and rear surround speakers in the ceiling and back wall, so I wired those up for a 5.0.2 experience.

The Cobalt 8s sound amazing. I was a little worried about putting them in the built ins with the rear port, and thought it may make them too boomy for the bass, but they actually sound way better than the KRK front ports. Bass is super tight and plentiful, (which means I can take my time with the subwoofer build). I love silk dome tweeters, after years in the army and as a mechanic, metal domed tweeters are just way too harsh for me. We've been using them every day, and I can stream spotify or Plex straight from the TV which makes it sound great. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
nice work zack. I did nice wood filler on my seams and nail gun holes and they are just starting to show after 18 months. Hopefully HT8 don't go ba bye, I want to do those for LCR and I will keep the bondo post primer idea in mind, thanks!

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Great work, Lucky also. I beleive Cobalt is no longer sold :(
The tweeters for those and the Helix were out of stock for months. I checked over the weekend and it looks like both are available again so I will be putting both kits back in stock once everything is here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tweeters for those and the Helix were out of stock for months. I checked over the weekend and it looks like both are available again so I will be putting both kits back in stock once everything is here.
That's good to hear. These speakers are pretty amazing. Thanks for doing all of this Erich!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look great! What happened to the TD12m? :) How do these compare? I almost bought the Cobalt's for my Living Room.
They're in the basement currently with my subs. I am planning a cabinet to house the center channel and 2-21" down firing subs, as well as some custom steel stands for the L&R. The basement room needs a lot of work though, as it's tile and wide, but shallow. So it will need acoustic panels, a large (12'-15') rug, etc.

Comparing the two is tough. These seem like they are better suited to TV duty, and have very clear vocals at low and moderate volumes. They can still get pretty loud though, and have pretty excellent bas as well. The compression drivers and TD12m's seem like they can get way louder and still stay clean without distortion, so they will be my hardcore movie speakers until I can plan an endgame LCR. I will say that I don't think I am getting the most out of them by just powering them with a receiver, so I'm planning on adding a 3 channel amp in the mix to see if that bumps up the dynamics a bit. I need to do some other projects before I spend more money on audio stuff though, so it may wait until later this year. I should probably make a build thread for the theater room.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have built the cobalt speakers as well and believe they are great. I have also built the Fusion-4 Quad-4 and Fusion-6 speaker from DIYsoundgroup as well. The Fusion-4 Quad-4 speakers are excellent speakers too. I put a little extra effort into the finish of these because they are in the living room. I agree that the dome tweeter sounds better at moderate volumes compared to the compression drivers but at very high volumes it's hard to beat the compression drivers ability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great news that the Cobalt's will be coming back! Not sure if I should start my own thread, but thought I would ask here. I'm looking for new lcr for my living room theater. Before I learned Cobalt's were back I was trying to decide between Helix MT and HT-8/HT-10. Now Cobalt's are back in the mix. My low end receiver doesn't have eq. Any opinions on a best choice for me? 50/50 music and movies. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
@DLHawk my experience is limited but I built some c-notes in 2018 and they are excellent for music, just lacking bass with the 5in woofer. I don't know which tweeter the cobalts use but it looks like a nice soft dome (like the c-note) so I bet they sound nice for music. The ht8 have a waveguide tweeter which i believe is a little more geared toward HT.

Now the Helix MT is in a different league. There was a comment on this forum (can't find it now) but at a speaker expo one person commented that they could be placed next to $5k speakers and you would not be able to tell which one was the helix.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
@DLHawk my experience is limited but I built some c-notes in 2018 and they are excellent for music, just lacking bass with the 5in woofer. I don't know which tweeter the cobalts use but it looks like a nice soft dome (like the c-note) so I bet they sound nice for music. The ht8 have a waveguide tweeter which i believe is a little more geared toward HT.

Now the Helix MT is in a different league. There was a comment on this forum (can't find it now) but at a speaker expo one person commented that they could be placed next to $5k speakers and you would not be able to tell which one was the helix.
I had posted on the Helix from the 4/13 SE Mich Get Together thread. I hope they come back in stock as I'd love to build a pair to compare to my Philharmonic AA+'s.

"Here is a comment on the Helix from a get together featuring many speakers including the Helix

AVS Forum

"Helix Dome HTs
All you guys that went to AXPONA yesterday? Yeah, the Helix Domes could have been playing blindly in one of the hotel rooms with $5,000 bookshelves next to them, and you would not have discerned any difference. Great speakers. "
"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply's fellas! So many kit choices makes choosing difficult! I think I will start a new thread so as not to clutter this one. I just want to say those speakers you made @Zack_J look outstanding and I can only hope when my time comes mine will turn out as good!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply's fellas! So many kit choices makes choosing difficult! I think I will start a new thread so as not to clutter this one. I just want to say those speakers you made @Zack_J look outstanding and I can only hope when my time comes mine will turn out as good!
Thanks man! I don't think you'll be disappointed. Keep in mind they are fairly large speakers. My pictures are a bit deceptive because the built-in cabinet is massive in the living room. That being said, they almost don't even need a subwoofer, so the 8" woofer has some added benefit there. I don't think you can go wrong with either kit though. The Quote from AXPONA is especially telling with how good the kits from DIYSG are. I forget who designed the Cobalts, but Jeff Bagby really knows his stuff and seems to have done amazing with the Helix speakers. I would have probably gone MTM across all 3 speakers if I had the space, but having completed the Cobalts, I'm super happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I have questions that I can't seem to find answers for. If you could help I would sure appreciate it!

How much did the Cobalt's cost? What are the specs? If these are truly coming back it's a choice between the mt or mtm versions of these vs the Helix. I see the Helix are back in stock and would love to make a more imformed decision. I have emailed Erich a couple of times but as of yet no reply. Any insight on why to pick one over another would be awesome! Are the Cobalt's really dynamic?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I have questions that I can't seem to find answers for. If you could help I would sure appreciate it!

How much did the Cobalt's cost? What are the specs? If these are truly coming back it's a choice between the mt or mtm versions of these vs the Helix. I see the Helix are back in stock and would love to make a more imformed decision. I have emailed Erich a couple of times but as of yet no reply. Any insight on why to pick one over another would be awesome! Are the Cobalt's really dynamic?
I honestly don't remember the exact cost. I want to say for all 3 it was right around $600 total for the kits and flat packs. I could be wrong though, I coudn't find the exact charge on my card.

I think they are 94db 1w/1m sensitivity, and with the flat packs the tune was around 40hz maybe? It's been a long time since I remember it, but it sounds like they may be back up on the site here soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts