AVS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's strange that if the Hub can control the lights that they can't be added into a sequence. It has been quite a while since I set it up but I don't think I missed anything.
Can you tell me the exact mode number of the Lutron equipment you are using? Is it just a single dimmer switch or do you have a Bridge and a switch?
I picked it up at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-M...-Digital-Dimmer-White-MIR-600THW-WH/100399015

Just a switch and the associated remote.
Yep. Controls the light perfectly but when I get to the part of adding a step to the sequence and it asks me to choose a device, it only lets me choose the tv, amp, or playback device. I even added the switch as a device to the activity thinking that might affect it somehow. No dice.

I can't try the switch you are using right now because I am in an apartment waiting for our house to be finished being built. I was hoping to figure this out before moving in but I guess I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How do you like the CV's for the mains?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I can't try the switch you are using right now because I am in an apartment waiting for our house to be finished being built. I was hoping to figure this out before moving in but I guess I'll have to wait.
I haven't logged in for a while and was curious if you'd had any luck getting the remote working?
Nope. I got moved into the new place a little more than 2 months ago and have been working on the theater since then. I have two of the Lutron caseta dinners installed in wall (cans/sconces) and neither of them can be added to the the remote while in an activity. I can control both of them as a singular device, or grouped together perfect, just can?t add a ?light on? command to a button in the remote. Crazy.

I did, however, read through this post again and the dimmer switch that was linked earlier is an IR Dimmer. The dimmers I have are not. Not sure if that?s what is causing the problem or not, but that?s the only difference in the setups that I can see.

The dimmers I am using are these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-...all-and-Ceiling-Lights-P-PKG1W-WH-R/206754146

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did, however, read through this post again and the dimmer switch that was linked earlier is an IR Dimmer. The dimmers I have are not. Not sure if that?s what is causing the problem or not, but that?s the only difference in the setups that I can see.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-...all-and-Ceiling-Lights-P-PKG1W-WH-R/206754146
Have you double checked that both the Lutron and Harmony Hubs are both on the same wireless network? Looking online, it appears that's how they see each other. My Harmoiny Hub is on my 2.4G wireless so if my phone connects to 5G wireless first, it doesn't see it and treats it as if it's off site.

Is there firmware you can update for bother devices?

·
Registered
408 Posts

Have you double checked that both the Lutron and Harmony Hubs are both on the same wireless network? Looking online, it appears that's how they see each other. My Harmoiny Hub is on my 2.4G wireless so if my phone connects to 5G wireless first, it doesn't see it and treats it as if it's off site.

Yes they are on the same network. If not, I wouldn?t be able to edit the devices at all.

And both the remote and hub are inning the latest firmwares respectively.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I'm also curios about using the Harmony remote to control Lutron devices. I also have one but can only seem to turn off/on during activity sequence of on or off. This post (https://community.logitech.com/s/feed/0D53100005KFvOXCA1) seems to contradict what you are able to do, and that's coming from an official logitech employee. I'm not sure how you are able to do it @woodgieroo, but that's awesome and I'm jealous.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I'm also curios about using the Harmony remote to control Lutron devices. I also have one but can only seem to turn off/on during activity sequence of on or off. This post (https://community.logitech.com/s/feed/0D53100005KFvOXCA1) seems to contradict what you are able to do, and that's coming from an official logitech employee. I'm not sure how you are able to do it @woodgieroo , but that's awesome and I'm jealous.
I promise I didn't do anything out of the ordinary! :p Follow the screenshots I posted and it should work, provided you're using the same switch I am.

And I know no one has asked for proof but with so many having issues getting it to work, I just shot a few videos. Note that for the videos, I have the can lights on, also, which aren't controlled by the remote.

The first one is pressing the Watch a movie button which turns everything on, including the lights. LINK.

The second is pressing play to start the movie and dim the lights then pressing pause to, obviously, pause and bring the lights back up. LINK.

The last one is pressing off which shows the 30 second "get out of the basement without stepping on toys" delay. LINK.

I laid it all out there with the screenshots but if you would like more clarification, I'm more than willing to try to help. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
@woodgieroo

Oh I believe you. :) My problem is that none of my automated lights connected via smarthub show up as a device when I attempt to put it in a sequence like yours does. It only shows up as a device when I go to add devices screen and under the "Edit Home Control" when I edit a start sequence or end sequence.

I think I know what the difference is after looking at the version you bought. Yours has an IR remote. I know with the Harmony remote, you can program the Harmony remote to clone the IR command. Is that something you did? Since the Lutron Caseta doesn't use IR and instead it uses it's own propriety protocol to communicate called ClearConnect, I think that's the difference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My problem is that none of my automated lights connected via smarthub show up as a device when I attempt to put it in a sequence like yours does. It only shows up as a device when I go to add devices screen and under the "Edit Home Control" when I edit a start sequence or end sequence.
That's incredibly annoying. I guess I just stumbled across the right combination of devices as everything has worked perfectly from the very first time I set it up.
I think I know what the difference is after looking at the version you bought. Yours has an IR remote. I know with the Harmony remote, you can program the Harmony remote to clone the IR command. Is that something you did?
I didn't clone anything, no.

I added the devices I wanted to control and when the lights worked with the app on my phone (which was a good start but not ideal), I dived into seeing if I could edit the sequence to get the play and pause buttons on the remote to work.
Since the Lutron Caseta doesn't use IR and instead it uses it's own propriety protocol to communicate called ClearConnect, I think that's the difference.
I'm sure you've read this already:
How Harmony integrates with Lutron

All Harmony hub‑based remotes

Harmony connects with your Lutron Smart Bridge using your home Wi‑Fi network. Please ensure your Lutron Smart Bridge is connected to the same home network as your Harmony hub.
Are both devices on the same wi-fi network? I'm assuming so as you've said that the beginning and ending sequence includes them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@woodgieroo

Are both devices on the same wi-fi network?
Yep, only have one network :) It's definitely not that, because it can see them. I think Logitech has left some confusion out there with which Lutron devices work as command buttons and which don't. Is your Lutron dimmer connected via WiFi and Smarthome capable? The link you provided to HomeDepot is not a WiFi version and not smarthome capable, only IR capable with the remote provided with it (at least it doesn't say anywhere in the description that it is). My understaing is Lutron's Maestro series is not made for smart home capabilities, you have to use their Caseta line for smart home capabilities (the one I own). I've seen some other youtube video's on how some people got it work with activities, but it's rather hackish, and requires hitting multiple buttons and is less convenient.

I think I have to wait for Harmony support for it, or get the more expensive remote (the Harmony Home Ultimate), which worked for this guy:

Or I have to replace the Caseta with the Maestro version you have.

Very disappointed in Logitech not showing it as a device in the command section and only showing it in the activity section. Seems like a simple software issue. Something tells me they do this to force you to buy the more expensive Harmony Home Ultimate.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts