AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor gave me a Coby 224 DVD player.

RCA jacks on back as well as a coaxial. Odd thing is that the coaxial jack's hole is for an RCA cable.

When I connected the RCA video/audio cables to my small (Sony) tv's front a/v jacks (which I access on screen by selecting the "game" option, which I suppose is the same as a TV/VCR option), I saw and heard nothing even though the DVD was "on."

Given the strange "coaxial" jack, there was no way that I could directly connect this to the back of the tv's coaxial jack.

The instructions said the DVD player could not be connected directly to a VCR.

I connected the RCA cables to the front "LP2" a/v jacks of my VCR and I was able to view all functions of the DVD and to operate it as intended.

Two questions - what's the story with a jack labeled as "coaxial" that is built like an RCA cable jack? And why was the small Sony's "game" setting not operate like an LP1 jack? I have my digital converter box connected to the front a/v jacks (and set the tv to "game") and am able to view tv output from that setting - I'd think I could do the same with another source being connected to the same front a/v jacks. (I disonnected the digital converter's cable from the front a/v cables to allow me to connect the DVD cables.)

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr100watt /forum/post/16972368

what's the story with a jack labeled as "coaxial" that is built like an RCA cable jack?

It's meant to carry digital audio data to a receiver. It's an alternative to an fiber optic connection for the same purpose. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF .

-Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the explanation re the coaxial jack.

I connected cables again to my tv and this time the DVD info displayed on my tv screen. Even connecting the DVD to my tv via an RF converter box worked also.

The DVD I have is, in fact, a Cyberhome product, CH-DVD 300 model. Looks very similar to a Coby 224 unit. No wonder why the remote is different from the display for the 224 unit!

Even though the 300 model (made 2004) is older than the 224 model by Coby, there are more control function buttons on the front of the unit.

Reminds me of how years ago boomboxes and VCRs had many more control and function buttons on the boxes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts