AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed this in another forum but felt it might be a better fit here.

Anyone have any experience with the Cocktail Audio X14?
I may have stumbled upon the answer to many users questions in the form of a NEW piece of gear. I am a kindred spirit in looking for an Audio player that would allow me to resurrect the music from my couple hundred cd's that have been unused for a couple years since a move and disassembly of my old component stereo system. I have been researching for over 6 months, even buying and returning a Pioneer XC-HM86D that I naively thought would fit my needs. I need to find a device that is simple to use so that my wife can take advantage of it as well. While I can handle multiple components and selecting options, I need to really to simplify it or she won't use it.

Yesterday I stumbled onto the newly released Cocktail Audio X14 which is replacing the X12. Being sold as Novafidelity X14 in the UK. I would like to know if anyone has seen one or had any experience with it? It has the main features I am looking for. I received a response from the manufacturer Novatron (South Korea) indicating it is newly released and that US distributors should be getting some reviews released in the near future.

Here's a few highlighted in the website literature (there are loads more):
1) It storage bay accepts an internal 3.5"/2.5" Sata HDD or SDD of your choice up to 8TB
2) It has several outputs; digital optical, digital coax and analog out l/r allowing multi-room capabilities
3) It has an Ethernet/LAN connection (10/100/1000)
4) It has physical speaker out connections
5) And I almost forgot to mention it plays the Hi-res formats and plays from bluetooth as well
6) AND can be remotely controlled by various apps and methods
7) Supports Streaming, Music database capability, CD ripping

You can find it at CocktailAudio.com.

Sounds like everything I have been dreaming of for months/years at $895 US. While not cheap (it kind of is for what you get) it seems to be a really good price for an all in one type device with an awful lot of features that many of us seem to be looking for.
Now I am just trying to work up the guts to be one of the first to buy this thing without any previous reviews.
Anyone seen one?

·
Registered
8,398 Posts

I may have stumbled upon the answer to many users questions in the form of a NEW piece of gear. I am a kindred spirit in looking for an Audio player that would allow me to resurrect the music from my couple hundred cd's that have been unused for a couple years since a move and disassembly of my old component stereo system. I have been researching for over 6 months, even buying and returning a Pioneer XC-HM86D that I naively thought would fit my needs. I need to find a device that is simple to use so that my wife can take advantage of it as well. While I can handle multiple components and selecting options, I need to really to simplify it or she won't use it.

Yesterday I stumbled onto the newly released Cocktail Audio X14 which is replacing the X12. Being sold as Novafidelity X14 in the UK. I would like to know if anyone has seen one or had any experience with it? It has the main features I am looking for. I received a response from the manufacturer Novatron (South Korea) indicating it is newly released and that US distributors should be getting some reviews released in the near future.

1) It storage bay accepts an internal 3.5"/2.5" Sata HDD or SDD of your choice up to 8TB
2) It has several outputs; digital optical, digital coax and analog out l/r allowing multi-room capabilities
5) And I almost forgot to mention it plays the Hi-res formats and plays from bluetooth as well

Sounds like everything I have been dreaming of for months/years at $895 US. While not cheap (it kind of is for what you get) it seems to be a really good price for an all in one type device with an awful lot of features that many of us seem to be looking for.
Now I am just trying to work up the guts to be one of the first to buy this thing without any previous reviews.
Anyone seen one?
The X12 was always good for the money, I expect this will be good as well. It's really compact for what it does, you can put on of these on an end table if you want. I think reviews should be soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Anyone seen one?
Well, still no reviews out there, but I found the guts to buy the Cocktail Audio X14 and just received it yesterday. I like the looks, feel and sound of it so far. Probably paid a premium price to be an early adopter. Here's a few early thoughts or observations from an AVS neophyte.

- Install and setup maybe not be as intuitive as it could be. Instruction manual is a bit lacking for neophytes. I am relatively good with computers in general but struggling a bit here. I guess I am spoiled by plug-n-play environments.
- I did buy and install a Samsung EVO 600 500GB SDD which is plenty of storage for my 150 or so cd's. Installed myself after playing/experimenting with it for awhile because instructions were not very specific. The X14 came with a plastic adapter bracket and connection cables so no accessories needed for this installation.
- First hardware weakness for me is that it doesn't come with the needed wifi dongle or fixed antenna for a wired network connection. In my opinion this should be included in the base package. I first did a wired network connection but couldn't figure out how to do access or do any transfers of music files from my computers storage to the X14. So I ordered the wifi dongle and will set up wireless in a few days. I should have realized I need this upfront to establish control from tablet applications, which is why it should be included.
- So now to try and move music files from my computer to the X14 storage and Music DB. Struggling a bit here in that the X14 would not recognize the first USB drive I tried. Reformatted it to NTFS, reload some files and tried again but still no go. Then I went and found a Kingston Data Traveler 1GB buried in a drawer, loaded about 4 albums and hooray, the X14 did recognize this usb drive. I'll follow the instructions on how to migrate the files from the usb to the SDD. I've ordered a couple new usb's that have some decent storage and speed that I will use to move the rest or my music files over the the X14. I haven't figured out why the one usb isn't recognized by the X14 but still works fine on my computers. I probably won't waste anymore time on it and just discard it.
- NOW I was finally able to play some music on X14 just using a pair of satellite speakers from my Vizio 5.1 Soundbar. The sound was surprisingly great to me and I will probably just keep using these speakers until I get much further along in implementing.

So my early observation is that I am quite satisfied with this Cocktail Audio X14 selection and it looks it may fulfill "my dreams" of my earlier post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, still no reviews out there, but I found the guts to buy the Cocktail Audio X14 and just received it yesterday. I like the looks, feel and sound of it so far. Probably paid a premium price to be an early adopter. Here's a few early thoughts or observations from an AVS neophyte.

- Install and setup maybe not be as intuitive as it could be. Instruction manual is a bit lacking for neophytes. I am relatively good with computers in general but struggling a bit here. I guess I am spoiled by plug-n-play environments.
- I did buy and install a Samsung EVO 600 500GB SDD which is plenty of storage for my 150 or so cd's. Installed myself after playing/experimenting with it for awhile because instructions were not very specific. The X14 came with a plastic adapter bracket and connection cables so no accessories needed for this installation.
- First hardware weakness for me is that it doesn't come with the needed wifi dongle or fixed antenna for a wired network connection. In my opinion this should be included in the base package. I first did a wired network connection but couldn't figure out how to do access or do any transfers of music files from my computers storage to the X14. So I ordered the wifi dongle and will set up wireless in a few days. I should have realized I need this upfront to establish control from tablet applications, which is why it should be included.
- So now to try and move music files from my computer to the X14 storage and Music DB. Struggling a bit here in that the X14 would not recognize the first USB drive I tried. Reformatted it to NTFS, reload some files and tried again but still no go. Then I went and found a Kingston Data Traveler 1GB buried in a drawer, loaded about 4 albums and hooray, the X14 did recognize this usb drive. I'll follow the instructions on how to migrate the files from the usb to the SDD. I've ordered a couple new usb's that have some decent storage and speed that I will use to move the rest or my music files over the the X14. I haven't figured out why the one usb isn't recognized by the X14 but still works fine on my computers. I probably won't waste anymore time on it and just discard it.
- NOW I was finally able to play some music on X14 just using a pair of satellite speakers from my Vizio 5.1 Soundbar. The sound was surprisingly great to me and I will probably just keep using these speakers until I get much further along in implementing.

So my early observation is that I am quite satisfied with this Cocktail Audio X14 selection and it looks it may fulfill "my dreams" of my earlier post.
UPDATE: To simplify and speed up things I went back and removed my SSD and just copied all my FLAC files directly from my PC using an adapter cable, then reinstalled the SSD. Went smoothly. Then moved the music into the MusicDB function in the X14.
I received and installed the WIFI dongle and easily performed the wireless network setup to my home wireless network. Then I downloaded the FreeDB Download. This was quite easy as well.
I then installed the NOVATRON Music X app (remote control app from Novafidelity/Cocktail audio) to my android tablet which positions me toward my end goal of operating the X14 music server from a handy tablet. Seems to be a pretty good solution with a reasonable interface. While no instruction manual for the MusicX app, the is a video out there that gives a decent review and explanation.
So I can now access The X14 from the tablet, view and play all of the music files. The MusicX works well for this purpose even for my wife who tends to ignore anything technical.
Just starting to learn how to better organize my music, build some playlists, etc. Still need to learn how to add some radio station play and streaming to the mix.
I have found the Music X to be a bit cumbersome for making tag/edits and finally discovered the Cocktail Audio Web Interface which they mention in X14 instruction manual but they never tell you about the how, when, or where of it. I suppose the MusicX app is supposed to replace it. however, this tool has made the tag/edit process clean and simple. Now to see if it makes anything else easier than the MusicX app.
The fun begins as I am accessing my favorite and perhaps nostalgic music that I have not accessed for over 5 years.
I am still feeling good and quite satisfied about choosing this X14 all-in-one music solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts