Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking to get a coffee table which has a surface that pulls up and towards you as you sit on the couch. I'd like it so I can eat dinner or put a wireless keyboard/mouse for 50-inch gaming goodness.

Does anyone have a table like this in their theatre? Does it work well for you?

What do you call these kinds of tables? I tried an ebay/google search, and haven't found anything yet (although I haven't tried too hard yet).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have one in my living room (which is also my default HT area). It is great for dinner and stuff...beats TV trays.

My wife, who bought the thing, says it was called a "cocktail table with lifting lid".

G'luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When we bought our new couches in February, the store had one of these tables. We would have purchased on if it came in oak. All our furniture including the entertainment center is oak. I think the price was around $400.

Don

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah,

Well, this beast seems to be one of those products that defy description.

It's the "coffee-table-with-the-lifty-thingee"...

It's strange, but google just won't give me many choices when I enter that...

B.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My wife and I picked up the table in the link when we began furnishing our new home. It ran us about $500, and we were able to find some decent end tables to compliment it from the same manufacturer (Riverside Furniture). We then stepped up and bought "the real thing" solid oak dining room table, chairs, and china cabinet/hutch from Kimball. Color matches perfectly with Kimball's mission line of furniture, and we think the styling is good if you plan to keep it for 5+ years. I know we will. The top is a veneer laminate, but the table is sturdy and the legs and other parts are pure unadulterated oak. A nice comprimise in cost/quality.

Now can someone point me to a nice matching table for the new Plasma I have? (preferrably something that can hold the AV equipment)

·
Registered
291 Posts
JSDDS

Thanks so much for the link. I just ordered the plans and mechanism. As I stated in my earlier post, we liked this type of table but it was not available in oak. I do have some experience in woodworking and my wife is aways asking me to build something.

Now I just need to figure out how to motorize it and control it with my MX-500. Maybe that's a little to much!!

Don

·
Registered
111 Posts
Don,

My pleasure in providing the link! I don't think motorizing the lift mechanism and making it IR controllable is too much. Infact, I think it's just right being a hometheater junkie myself. When you figure it all out and have constructed the table, post some pics. I'll do the same if I decide to build one.

JSDDS

·
Registered
165 Posts
MovingTarget,

You can paint virtually anything black. I wouldn't look at color only construction and design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.