AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the journey is finally at a close.

Basement is now 100% complete, and we have been enjoying the products of my labors for a couple weeks now.

The entire project took 7 months to complete, but that encompasses 100% of the usable space in the basement, from the maintenance room to the theater and everything in between.

The entire project was a solo affair, and the only professional work that was done was the mudding on the drywall.

Everything else you see here was completed by my 2 hands only. Plumbing, electrical, upholstery, you name it.

I have learned so very much in the last year from planning and design to finished wood working; it has been a life changing experience and an amazing ride.

I am a little sad to see it completed as it has been a pretty great experience, but at the same time I am so enjoying my weekends off.

I offer my thanks to all of you who helped me along the way with advice.

Also a huge thanks goes out to Landshark1, if it was not for his amazing theater I am not sure what I would have ended up with, you were a total inspiration for my room.

I had a lot of the A/V equipment from earlier theaters, but total cost for this build was just over $22000.

Our budget was $20000 and I am happy we were as close as we were with all the last minute changes we had.

If anyone is interested in more pricing details, let me know and I can post some breakdowns, or if you are looking for information on anything you see here, or how it was done, I will be happy to help.

Enjoy!

Before:

After:

(first 3 pics by my photographer friend and a MUCH better camera)

Room size:

21' x 15' x 7'8” (I wish we had of got the 9’, life would have been much easier!)

Riser:

8” for both the front and back. 12’ wide 12’ deep

2 specialized panels under the main 2 chairs to hold a pair of Buttkicker LFE

Rope lighting recessed under the nosing of the riser (work in progress as the carpet is too thick for it to be of any use)

Pop-up in the floor that has 4x USB, 2x Lan and 3x outlets

Color:

Main panels:

GOM Anchorage Birch

GOM Anchorage Cumin

Trim:

GOM Anchorage Coffee Bean

Ceiling:

Local fabic store purchase, nothing special, dark brown to march Coffee Bean trim, similar to rayon material.

Screen Wall:

Local fabric store purchase, midnight black, similar to ceiling fabric.

Acoustic Treatment:

Front wall - None, not enough space to treat

Side walls - Lincoustic at first reflection point, based on measurements done with this app Link

Back wall - Auralex Q'Fusor diffusor panels

Ceiling - Lincoustic at first reflection point and above main seating area

Corners - 24”x48”x2" OC703 cut down to ¼ triangles. Then the front covered with 24”x24”x2” ATS Wedge foam.

All walls and ceiling stuffed with R16 insulation

Riser tightly packed with R16 insulation.

Audio:

11.3 Setup

Definitive Technology:

2x BP2000TL mains (using the 15” powered subs as .2 and .3)

CLR3000 center

4x BPX/P surrounds

2x SM55 height channels

1x SVS PB Ultra

Matantz 8801

Rotel RMB 1095 - For wides, height and center

Rotel RMB 1095 - For surrounds rears

Rotel RMD 1090 - For mains

Yamaha P7000 - for dual buttkickers LFEs

Velodyne SMS-1 for bass EQ

Video:

Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Da-Lite 159” Permwall Pearlescent 2.4 gain screen - 16:9

Automation:

Insteon ISY994I controller

Insteon 2413S PLM

3x Insteon dimmer switches for theater lighting

1x Insteon switch for cooling exhaust fan in AV room

2x Insteon Inline modules for amp control

1x Insteon dimming outlet for rope light control

Ipad 2.0 used exclusively for iRule / Insteon control

Equipment Lists:

Oppo 103

Playstation 4

Playstation 3

WiiU

Xbox 360

Xbox 1

Custom build gaming PC (also used for HTPC)

IBM x336 server for media streaming

Two SGI 3U Omnistor SE3016 Media Storage - 16 bay enclosures (currently hosting 20tb)

Dell PowerVault LTO3 tape library for backup

Monster Power HT5000 Power center

APC 1500 UPS

Global Cache GC-100

3x Global Cache IP2SL

NuTone Qt300 exhaust fan (300cfm fan for AV room cooling)

Seats:

Laz-y-boy Grayson chair with Power VR+ for lumbar and neck control.

Laz-y-boy Grayson standard chair

Very old couch from The Brick, it is my wife’s favorite couch to nap on, so it stays, happy wife, happy life.

Theater Lobby:

39” Samsung TV for movie poster display (hooked to old dell desktop running a screensaver)

Custom made signage from a provider on Ebay

Concession:

Gold Medal 2195 Butter Dispenser

Benchmark Street Vendor Antique Popcorn Maker

Bunn CDS-2 Slurpee maker

Danby mini fridge

Vintage Pepsi letterboard

Vintage drive in theater signs

Reactions: johnydub

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
~~~ Original Post Below ~~~

It has begun!!!!

In a scant 5 months we will be taking possession of our brand new home, and the theater planning is now in full swing.

I have the base plans done now for the room, still need to make some adjustments as some sizing has changed a bit now.

Overall I will have a 15 x 20 x 8 room, no windows and a archway into the room. No doors.

Been trolling the forums here to check you guys out and have settle on a design very similar to Gary (Landshark1)

Love the look of his set up and so does my wife. So it is full steam ahead.

Planning on having the gear in a totally separate room and only accessible in the media closet, not in the theater at all.

Video game consoles I have 2 thoughts on.

Either in a drawer under the seating area, or in a cut out in the back of the theater. (Still need concept drawings for this)

Here is the full basement:

Here is the first and second color choices for the wall panels:

Screen wall:

Looking at going REAL big, 159". Heads at the first row will be about 14 - 15' back. Just about perfect based on THX specs, and we do like things pretty large, have a 120" and we sit at the 10' - 11' mark now so this should not be an overpowering upgrade.

Above and beyond my equipment list in my sig I am adding 2x Def Tech Sm55's for Height speakers and 2x Def Tech Sm65's for Wides. they are all denoted by the black dots in the main picture. Think I got all the angles right.

Will also be adding another RMB-1095 to power them, or possibly another amp in and around the same power. Maybe a RMB-1075, Emotive XPA-5 or Marantz 7055. Budget is about $1k for the new amp, but cheaper is better and I have no problem with used.

Lastly adding a Oppo-103 for movie playback.

Things not listed in the sig are the gaming systems - PS3, Xbox 360 and WiiU, as well as a dedicated high end gaming rig that doubles as our HTPC.

Currently using iRule for control of the theater, and will be adding Insteon throughout the home for automation of lights and environmental controls.

Also tossing around a couple other ideas for more bass. Have a PB13 Ultra now, may add a second if I can find one used for a good price.

Also toying with the idea of transducers for the main 2 seats. Looking into the Earthquake series. Have a pretty original idea for incorporating it that I have yet to sketch up and will post once done.

Would love any feedback you guys can provide.

Here is the work in progress, long way to go still, but pretty much from the back wall to 3ft past the farthest pole will be the theater.

Window in the far back right is in the media closet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we have settled on the color scheme.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/righttheaterwallcuminbi.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

We brought in some swatches from http://www.fabricmatestore.com and I was extremely disappointed in the GOM FR701 product line. The stuff seems like a potato sack. The texture is horrible.

We decided on the Anchorage line instead. Super smooth, almost looks silk like.

The colors picked are as follows:

GOM - Anchorage - Birch

GOM - Anchorage - Cumin

GOM - Anchorage - Coffee Bean

For the screen wall I have little choice but to go with the FR701 line for Black as there is none in Anchorage.

Also decided to pull the trigger on a Earthquake Q10B transducer for the front row of seating, still looking for a good deal on one, but grabbed a fantastic deal on the amp I will run it with.

Found a Yamaha P7000S on ebay in mint condition for $400 only. With a crossover down to 20hz I think this thing is gonna kick ass.

Still trying to find a good deal on the other 5 channel amp we need as well, still no dice.

As for the house, little to no progress last week, they got the concrete for in for the garage, and that is it.... Slow going...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23335827

Subscribed.

I'm eager to see your finished color scheme and how to do the panels. BTW, I like Coffee Bean GOM too, but it looks almost like black in my dimmed room.

Thinking of doing the panels similar to yours, except 2 sizes instead of 3. My brain is very symmetrical, the 3 tiers would drive me clear to out for my mind. lol

So thinking the the Cumin would be 1.5" and the Birch 1" Should add a nice shadow to the lighter color. In theory at least.

I am ok with the Coffee Bean looking darker if needed, planning on painting the ceiling black anyway, just our whole house color scheme has a lot of earth tones, hopefully it will show a bit in the room still though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
You might consider going with the 701 for panels in front of your speakers. I've seen a post in the past where one of the members here measured the 701 and the anchorage and noted a 6 db increase in attenuation at higher frequencies when using the anchorage fabric. You are right, though. The Anchorage fabric looks much nicer, and the colors seem more saturated and vibrant.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23354047

You might consider going with the 701 for panels in front of your speakers. I've seen a post in the past where one of the members here measured the 701 and the anchorage and noted a 6 db increase in attenuation at higher frequencies when using the anchorage fabric. You are right, though. The Anchorage fabric looks much nicer, and the colors seem more saturated and vibrant.

Thanks for the advice on that one.

I was considering the 701 for the front just because it comes in black vs the darkest color for the Anchorage is Coffee Bean.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally nailed down the transducers I am going with.

After hundreds of posts I have decided on the Buttkickers over the Earthquake.

Grabbed one thus far from Ebay for an absolute steal, $150 for a brand new / sealed box for the Butt Kicker LFE.

Just need to snag one more for the front seats.

As we rarely entertain I can't see a valuable reason to add one for the rear seating. In all honesty they are mostly for me and my late night gaming sessions.

Hard to crank the bass when my wife is sleeping on the couch in the theater. So fingers crossed this gives me that Oomph I have been wanting at low sound levels.

On another note I was toying with the idea of adding a second SVS PB13 Ultra to the room, had a thread here about it, and finally decided I would straight up contact SVS about it.

Well I must say, they are one of the best companies I have ever dealt with.

I gave them all the specs, what I have now and what the new theater will be, and they told me to stick with the single Ultra, it would be more than enough power for my room.

Rare in this day and age you find a salesman NOT pushing you on a product, my hats off to Darren McCormick, not only did he offer great advice, but he got in touch on a weekend...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One last thing to add for today.

I need to make sure I am calculating this right.

I plan to go BIG for the screen, looking at 159" 16:9.

Here are the cals from projector central:

To keep in the proper LF range I need a screen with about a 1.5 gain, can't see this being too big an issue as the main seating is going to be withing the 20 degree range.

Projector will be in the media closet at the back of the theater, pretty much dead center of the screen if I can swing it.

So does 14FL seem decent? I know I will be losing that in time with bulb age obviously.

The only way I can see to boost it though is either move the projector into the theater which I am really not wanting to do, or to get an even higher gain screen.

We have a Da-lite Perm-wall now and I love it, so my plan was to stick with them and grab the Pearlescene finish which gives a 1.5 gain.

Will this be enough light?

Also need to take into consideration that we do watch 3d movies on occasion as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofn42  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23370560

Thanks for the advice on that one.

I was considering the 701 for the front just because it comes in black vs the darkest color for the Anchorage is Coffee Bean.

Anchorage comes in Onyx (2016) which is black if that's any help.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23371659

Anchorage comes in Onyx (2016) which is black if that's any help.

Wow, totally missed that!

So going back to your previous comment, you mentioned the Anchorage had a 6db higher attenuation, not sure how to interpret that.

Does that mean it absorbs 6 more db than the 701? or that it actually increases the reflection of high frequencies by 6db?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I don't know how the testing is done, but I always ASSUMED that it was a matter of measuring a speaker, and then putting the cloth in front of it and measuring again. For the Anchorage, it would mean that the sound levels are 6 db down from the case without the fabric. This is not insignificant, as a drop of 3 db means the sound levels are cut by half. For 6 db, levels would be 1/4 of what they began at.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23373119

I don't know how the testing is done, but I always ASSUMED that it was a matter of measuring a speaker, and then putting the cloth in front of it and measuring again. For the Anchorage, it would mean that the sound levels are 6 db down from the case without the fabric. This is not insignificant, as a drop of 3 db means the sound levels are cut by half. For 6 db, levels would be 1/4 of what they began at.

Hmmmm, well I may have no choice then but to go with the 701 on the screen wall as my towers are bipoles. Would hate to take that huge hit on the sound stage in the front of the room, kinda defeats the purpose of having my bipoles.

But this will sure make a significant difference on the side walls at the reflection points.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23  /t/1472340/coffin-family-theater-2-0-any-and-all-feedback-welcome#post_23370921

Can't wait to see the finished product.. looks like it will be top notch.

Thanks man, I can't wait to get started, lol.

So much drawing and research, I just want to start doing something, only 120 more days until possession

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so getting a little further with this software now.

I have managed to figure out the angles tools, all the circles on the walls denote speakers and their rough placement. I did not add the mains as there is pretty much only one place for them to go

Wides are at 60 degrees, rears are at 100, and the back surrounds at 150.

Still playing with riser ideas.

My plan was to do a 12 - 16" high for the back row and just put the 2 main seats on a small 4" high platform, just enough for the butt kickers to utilize.

Once I had things drawn out though it would have mean our viewing angle would be too steep I think.

From eye level to the top of the screen was about 25 degrees, a lot more than I am comfortable with.

So if I put the front row on a 1' high platform then it takes the angel down to 15 degrees only, much more reasonable.

This does alloy for a few of my other plans to come to fruition, I originally thought about adding drawers to the front riser, great for game controller storage and such. With a 1" riser I could do a couple 9" x 30" drawers.

Also would be able to do the specialized buttkicker platform idea I had. More on that later once I sketch some stuff up.

Also, here is a little more progress pics from the build, still a long way to go...

Will post some current HT pics as well, our current home goes to market in the next few weeks, so things are looking pretty nice, will grab a few screens later this week.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry been a little while since I posted, been busy like crazy with our existing home, getting things ready to list and whatnot.

Have not made much progress on the 3d stuff, been a couple weeks since I fired it up, but here are some new pics.

Decided to go with my original plan of a one foot platform in the front row and then another one foot for the back row.

This did pose some issues with the angle of the projector beam, my original placement would mean it would hit the front row of seats.

A huge thanks to BigMouthinDC for sorting out the projector angles for me here - Link , as you can see in the picture with the central beam I have very little option as to where the projector goes. I need it up as high as possible or it will intersect the front row of seating.

No new equipment purchased yet, in a bit of a holding pattern now for the next bit, we need to get this current home sold before we can contiune.

Here is one of the latest pics, almost complete on the outside framing. Woohoo!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So not much progress since the last update, we did see the builder recently and we are still looking at mid September, Sept 30th at the latest for getting into the house.

Here is the home currently:

Now that the doors are in there will be much less progress pictures coming as we have to schedule house visits now, may be a few weeks in between going forward.

One major thing is that we will not be able to develop the exterior of the property likely until next year in the spring.

So what does that mean for the theater? Well now the 2 weeks+ I was going to book off to finish the outside goes into theater and basement reno.

I will now have 2 solid weeks to get things settled in the basement.

Working on getting the building materials list finalized and ordered, we have all the wood for the shelving in the library ordered now, 115 pieces of ash lumber. But I still need to calc all the lumber and drywall and such.

On the equipment front I got a STEAL on the 5 channel amplifier I needed. Grabbed another Rotel RMB-1095 for the wides and heights from Audiogon for a mere $700!!!! All that is left now is the Oppo 103 and the automation stuff and I am done electronics wise.

Also got the rack situation settled, we have a spare full size 42u IBM server rack I am taking home, it is sadly full server rack depth (39"), but it will save me having to import one here to Canada from Midatlantic or Omnimount, so I am up $1000 right there. Just need to buy some shelves and maybe a fan for it and I am set.

I need to pick someones brain soon about electrical, I am toying with the idea of a sub panel in the media closet, not sure if that is a better way to go, or just add individual breakers for 4 or 5 outlets. Got more research to do before I start asking questions though.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts