AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was perusing the websites of several rarely mentioned speaker manufacturers, and was wondering... anyone know why Coincident Speakers would have a patent number on the bottom of the page describing their basic speaker design principles that refers to a 1938 application for a fruit pitting machine? :D

Seriously... could this be reference to a Canadian patent number? I've only searched the USPTO site in the past, and didn't know if Canadian companies would use US patents, international patents, Canadian patents, etc. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is also on the web site.

The patented (#2157518) AWE (asymmetrical wall enclosure) eliminates the sonically deleterious effects of standing waves.

Since the guy is Canadian, maybe it is a canadian patent?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
it is here it is

Canadian Patents Database

(12) Patent Application: (11) CA 2157518

(54) ASSYMETRICAL WALL ENCLOSURE LOUDSPEAKER

(54) ENCEINTE ACOUSTIQUE A PAROIS ASYMETRIQUES

Representative Drawing:

View or Download Images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABSTRACT:

In enclosures for loudspeakers it is the norm that they are constructed of six sides that are symetrical. The top is parallel to the bottom;the sides are parallel to one another as is the front and back. Loudspeaker enclosures that are constructed of curved or rounded walls do exist as do enclosures that have four assymetrical walls. In this invention,all the walls of the loudspeaker enclosure are assymetrical. That is the top is non parallel to the bottom, the sides are non parallel to each other as is the front and back.

CLAIMS: Show all claims

*** Note: Data on abstracts and claims is shown in the official language in which it was submitted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(72) Inventors (Country): BLUMENKRANZ, ISRAEL (Canada)

(73) Owners (Country): BLUMENKRANZ, ISRAEL (Canada)

(71) Applicants (Country):

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. From an economics viewpoint, I would have thought Canada would use the US patent office... if that is allowed (I thought it was). Especially when most Canadian speaker products probably see their largest market in the US.

Heh... better than a fruit pitting machine though! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.