AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Jeez, you'd think Northwestern would have people smart enough to realize a football field isn't 100 yards long. And how did the conference ever sign off on this without realizing the field doesn't meet the rules?

·
Registered
17,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines /forum/post/19514453

Really an incredible screw-up for Saturday's college football game at Wrigley. Probably worth watching just to see the fun.

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201011...y-field-anyway

Maybe the Big Ten (whose office is a few miles from Wrigley) did this on purpose to draw a bigger audience?

Humm.

Nah.

I think you're giving them far too much credit.

I don't think they're that smart.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
They shouldn't have picked wrigley if this was going to happen, i wonder what the change would result come gametime.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
The field is a full 120 yards. The problem is the end line of the endzone in the outfield is as close as 6 inches to the now padded wall and the Big 10 was worried about injuries. BTW the game is on ESPNU at 3:30 Saturday.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
A similar situation for the setup at Yankee Stadium for the Notre Dame/Army game, yet it appears they will have both end zones available.

I'd love to see a highlights package of the NU/Illinois game with all the switcheroo that's going to happen set to Yakkety Sax (you know, the Benny Hill chase music).

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The added some serious padding....

I don't see what the big deal is....

How often to players run past the endzone.... maybe once or twice a game?

The goal post would be in the same spot as that worst 6-inch spot in that last picture.... that is rarely a problem...

And its not like there's much room at the other end - just look at that one corner thats right by the field (from the photo in the NY Times article).

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I can envision this scenario...

Team starts at 1 yard line by east end zone. March down the field to 5 yard line by west end zone. QB throws a bad pass, intercepted and defender runs 95+ yards other way (into east end zone) for TD. Defensive team celebrates in east end zone. Then they march the ball back to west end zone for PAT. 300 yards of stuff happening.

Cripes, these players (and the on-field officials too!) are going to be damn rubber legged by the end. Hope they got extras for them.

Hope you got your DVRs/TiVos all set to record this.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Square peg, round hole.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
It's worth watching for a few minutes, but honestly every possession change means a change of position like when new quarter begins.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib /forum/post/19515599

The Bears played at Wrigley from 1921 to 1970 before relocating to Soldier Field.

with the field going from 1B to LF - but they couldn't recreate that because of added seats since then.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This doesn't seem like a huge deal, but I know for a fact it caused me to DVR this game when I had no plan of it previously.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib /forum/post/19515599

The Bears played at Wrigley from 1921 to 1970 before relocating to Soldier Field.

My dad and uncle took me to a bunch of those games in the late fifties and early sixties. We sat along the 3rd base line, about the 30 yard line, as I recall; one end zone butted up against the left field wall, and the other the visitors dugout. (I can really only think about Wrigley in baseball terms.)

If this weirdness about the end zones is OK with the teams, it's OK with me. It's just one game.

·
Registered
165 Posts
How amateurish...

Maybe they'll have skins and shirts, and after a score-losers take the walk! Brings back old memories of backyard football.

Good thing this game, which simulates american football is meaningless.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts