AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any 5.1 system recommendations for a college student. Mostly HT with some music. Hoping to spend less than $500 with or more likely without the sub which I can add later. Some systems I have been checking out that maybe some people have heard and can comment on:

-Fluance AV-HTB+ or Fluance in general, very affordable.

-Bic Acoustech HT-75 towers, HT 65 center, HT-63 surrounds and H100 sub

-Polk tsi line

I am leaning towards the Fluance because they have great reviews on a lot of forums and are very affordable. I hear a lot of great things about the BIC especially when it comes to crisp, clear, dialogoue during movies. I am replacing my current old speakers due to muddy dialogue from the center (its so bad I have to use subtitles with some movies).

thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked ELT line. They are very nice looking speakers but unfortunately out of my price range. One tower is $699!!

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdog81 /forum/post/15459840

Checked ELT line. They are very nice looking speakers but unfortunately out of my price range. One tower is $699!!

All AV123 speakers prices are for a pair. The elt525 bookshelfs are $299/pair with an amp for free. During Christmas time they had 2 towers, 2 bookshelf and a center speaker for $799. You may want to call and see if available. You said $500 was your budget, but this was a steal for this speaker system and probably the same sound quality or better than the Polk RTI A series speakers from what I was told.

Check out Newegg for Polk Monitor speakers( liquidating sale) very similar to TSI series. Also, check out Polk Ebay store for refurbs ( half off). Warranty is 180 days only not the typical 5 years. Alot of members buy there with good luck. Hope this helps.

Ron

·
Registered
191 Posts
EMP is blowing out 5.1 systems right now on www.emptek.com These are an internet direct line from RBH. If you are not familiar with RBH.. do some research. Make sure to check out audioholics. You simply cannot find a better sounding 5.1 system for the money right now. 4something to 6 something.

Allan

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
bookshelves? towers? tiny sats + sub?

since you are going without a sub for now, I assume you want towers for the fronts to carry the bass. This might work, wwstereo.com is blowing out Energy C-series speakers:

A pair of C-300's for the front for $250 shipped

A pair of C-50 bookshelves for surrounds for $99 shipped

That's $350 shipped for a 4 killer speakers. You could then add the small C-C50 center for $79 shipped or look around for a C-C100 which will sound better with dialogue.

check out the Energy deals at wwstereo, excellent bargains

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15460379

bookshelves? towers? tiny sats + sub?

since you are going without a sub for now, I assume you want towers for the fronts to carry the bass. This might work, wwstereo.com is blowing out Energy C-series speakers:

A pair of C-300's for the front for $250 shipped

A pair of C-50 bookshelves for surrounds for $99 shipped

That's $350 shipped for a 4 killer speakers. You could then add the small C-C50 center for $79 shipped or look around for a C-C100 which will sound better with dialogue.

check out the Energy deals at wwstereo, excellent bargains

Kinda like this setup?
http://www.wwstereo.com/default.aspx..._84__0_0_0_-1/

Except you get the 500's. I'm considering this setup my self. I managed to find a set of 300's locally to listen too. I liked what I heard. I'm just up in the air on the center. I think a C-C100 would be better matched.

Any opinions on the C-500's?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
AV123's ELT package was a great bargain but their sales are over. The good thing is that AV123 does a lot of sales.

The Infinity Primus 362 at Frys is currently $129/each. These speakers can be as low as $99/each but I haven't seen that for awhile. Despite that, at the current price, its still a very good bargain.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iregret /forum/post/15461143

Kinda like this setup?

Except you get the 500's. I'm considering this setup my self. I managed to find a set of 300's locally to listen too. I liked what I heard. I'm just up in the air on the center. I think a C-C100 would be better matched.

Right, I suggested starting with the 300's so he could spend more of his budget on a better center channel (he complained about dialogue issues). The $100 saved on 300's vs. 500's could be applied elsewhere, since it's a budget college system it should be fine, I can't imagine he is trying to fill up a huge room with sound. The C-C100 will match up better with towers, although the C-C50 would do fine.

There is much discussion of the C-series on the Energy owner's thread. Do some searches on "C-300 C-500" or stuff like that. The 500's will have more and better bass output, but the 300's will still sound great and save $100. If you will never get a sub (5.0 system) the 500's are probably worth the extra.

They are excellent budget speakers, better than the Athenas (Athena and Energy are both made by the same company, but Athena is the "budget" line. The discounted C-series is a better deal).

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15463609

Right, I suggested starting with the 300's so he could spend more of his budget on a better center channel (he complained about dialogue issues). The $100 saved on 300's vs. 500's could be applied elsewhere, since it's a budget college system it should be fine, I can't imagine he is trying to fill up a huge room with sound. The C-C100 will match up better with towers, although the C-C50 would do fine.

There is much discussion of the C-series on the Energy owner's thread. Do some searches on "C-300 C-500" or stuff like that. The 500's will have more and better bass output, but the 300's will still sound great and save $100. If you will never get a sub (5.0 system) the 500's are probably worth the extra.

They are excellent budget speakers, better than the Athenas (Athena and Energy are both made by the same company, but Athena is the "budget" line. The discounted C-series is a better deal).

Would you say the c-500 is better than the infinity p362?

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
I haven't heard them both side by side, but these are probably the two "budget" leaders for tower speakers right now (among non internet direct brands that is, can't speak to those). Speakers are very subjective, so you'd have to figure that out for yourself. I personally am a big fan of Energy as they always produce a quality product, even their entry-level speakers sound great. The Infinity's have their following also.

Having seen both, I will say that the C-series has much better build quality and fit/finish than the Infinity Primus series. I also think it's better looking, but that's up to you.

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15463776

I haven't heard them both side by side, but these are probably the two "budget" leaders for tower speakers right now. Speakers are very subjective, so you'd have to figure that out for yourself. I personally am a big fan of Energy as they always produce a quality product, even their entry-level speakers sound great. The Infinity's have their following also.

Having seen both, I will say that the C-series has much better build quality and fit/finish than the Infinity Primus series. I also think it's better looking, but that's up to you.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15463609

Looks like the c-500 towers are a good starting point at $175 a piece. Looks like I can save money on the surrounds and c-100 center via ebay so I can put a little extra into the front towers. Then an HSU sub a few months later, if the system needs it.

Are there stores that can audition these speakers for me? I am assuming they are not an internet only brand.

thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iregret /forum/post/15461143

Kinda like this setup?

Nevermind. I went to order today, and it looks like they are all sold out... ugh...

·
Registered
29,191 Posts
Looks like the C-500 towers are all gone so no more package deal. Just put together a setup with C-300 towers. You'll save a little money that way too.

But first, call wwstereo.com. They may have a couple C-500 left, just not advertised since stock is depleted. You never know. I'd do that today if I were you.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
In the price range if you have the space, Infinity P362s w/ PC350 center and P142 surrounds are tough to beat... if you wanted to go even smaller/cheaper, Polk Monitor 30s and CS1 center for $80/pr and $70/ea respectively is great for small and a step above entry-level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts