AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - this is my first post, but I've done some searching and a lot of reading here, so go easy on me :)

I'm looking to spend $400 or less, and I need a receiver, two floor-standing speakers, and a subwoofer. I will be using it mostly for CD music, but I'd also like to have it hooked up to my TV and xbox. Since I'm going to use it mostly for CD audio (2 channel), I'm not really concerned with surround sound - but I do want something that is upgradeable for when I do decide to add rear speakers.

I was considering going with the Onkyo 570, but many of you said that it's better to go with components. So here's my question: can someone help me build a system for $400 or less that will have very clear floorstanding speakers and decent bass?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
College? Shoot, I would be shopping craigslist.org

You need a used receiver, buy one Dolby Digital 5.1 $125 (Dont confuse this with Dolby Pro Logic, thats an older standard, you need the newer one )

Two Infinity Floorstanders $200

and a decent $75 dollar sub

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
That'll work...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love my Onkyo 570, just got it but I am telling anyone I can about it. Just make sure you don't get a 580 with the passive sub. Picked it up rebranded with a different model number from radio shack for $199. It is your best option for under $400 hands down (comming from a fellow college student). The thing blows me away, my tv isn't even here yet but I have been listning to music and some dvd intros on it and it is AWESOME!!!

Let me know how you make out ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks JohnR :) I really appreciate your patience with us in the HTIB forum - I know other newbies do too. Can I ask you which infinity floorstanders and which sub you recommend? Or is it just whichever I can get for a good price? Also, since the sub and receiver will cost me $200, would it be advisable to just buy the 570 and use the sub and receiver from that? Or is that receiver not a DD 5.1?

Ice, thank you for the advice :) I've pretty much decided against going with the onkyo though, based on what JohnR and others have said in other threads.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Don't be too selective shopping used. Maybe all your town has is a Best Buy, and so you see more Athenas on the market than other brands. In that case, consider Athenas. See whats on the market locally, shop for a good deal. Your shopping for:

Real speakers ( With midbass drivers and tweeters) from a real speaker manufacturer, like Infinity, Athena, JBL ... theres a ton of legitimate speaker manufacturers.

You also want to choose a brand or series of speakers that you can build into a 5 speaker set. Infinitys are great for that, because all their speakers sound similar, and they have several different lines of speakers that have can kind of mix and match with. So if you find 2 Beta series floorstanders, and later you find an Alpha series center speaker for sale, you can pick that up, and they will match reasonably well.

Receiver: You want to shop weight and features. A heavier receiver will normally have good amp sections. Also, get the seller to give you a 2 day warranty, in writing, so that if something is horribly wrong, you can bring it back. Make it clear to the seller, that you will only bring it back if something is not working right.

Subwoofer.... you gotta shop what the used market offers. I picked up a Sony SA-WM40, which sells for about 190 new, and completely blows away HTIB subs, like the Onkyo I had before. I think I paid $120 for it used.

Enjoy the shopping, if you look for a few weeks you should be able to find this stuff on local markets.

Always offer less than what they are asking for.

For example, some guy will have a sweet set of Athena F2s hes selling for 250. Offer him $150 cash ( but only offer after youve checked them out, so he knows your serious).

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Also, try to hook up speakers at the sellers place, to his system.

Then ... crank them up pretty loud. Most all speaker faults reveal themselves at higher volumes.

LOL get permission first though, just let him/her know that your gonna crank them up for 60 seconds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome. I'm gonna shop used for the receiver, but I'm gonna wait for a really good deal on new speakers, since I see them all the time on fatwallet. I didn't think about getting a 2 day return guarantee in writing, that's a great idea!

thanks for your help john!

·
Registered
804 Posts
As another fellow college student I picked up some sony speakers (fronts: SSMB350H, center: SSCN550H, rears: SSMB150H). This was about a year and a half ago, its with a yamaha htr-5630. Its decent sound at a great price, however im in the midst of upgrading my system for an athena setup (fronts: as-f1.2, center: as-c1.2, rears: as-r1.2, sub: as-p4000), with a pioneer 1015 (still one more year to go still though, ****ing college). So if interested check on both, since the budget itll probably be the first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ugh I just missed a deal on the as-f1.2's, $230/pair :( Oh well, it'll come around again I hope!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Peri,

Do you have a Frys in your area. R30s on sale for $100/pr this weekend, R50s go on sale for ~ $140/pr twice a month. If you don't go used these are a great start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO :( I'm on the east coast :{{{{{ I miss so many good deals cause Fry's isn't out here :/

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri
ugh I just missed a deal on the as-f1.2's, $230/pair :( Oh well, it'll come around again I hope!
Damn that sucks Peri, im sure it will come up again, those are great speakers terribly hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri
NO :( I'm on the east coast :{{{{{ I miss so many good deals cause Fry's isn't out here :/
Keep checking Outpost, they show up there...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.