AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,


I am currently on a 6 year old 19" Sony computer monitor, and it is starting to give out. The pixels are darkening at an alarming rate, but I guess it's about had it's time, and plenty of hours. With my Economic Stimulus check arriving soon, and a birthday coming up, I think it is about time to replace the old dino. I am looking for something that is going to do both my PC and my 360, since I don't really watch TV. However, I want it to be BIG, I love BIG monitors, and if I had a few grand I would gladly buy something huge like the 60" monitors they have in our digital media labs. Alas, I just had to pay another $8K for this semester, and that took a rather big chunk out of my credit. I know there isn't supposed to be any price talk, but I hope it is ok to say that I am searching for something less then $800, because anything over that is just not do-able at this moment in time.


What it MUST have:

Ability to play PC games on it through VGA or DVI (I know some monitors can be hooked up to a PC, but I can't have too much lag)

Component RGB jacks (For my 360)


What would be nice:

HDMI Input (For my upscaling DVD player)

Optical Output (to piss off my new dorm neighbors with my surround)

Backlit remote


Any and all help is greatly appreciated, because I went to a local store and was scoffed at because I told them how much money I had to spend, and that no, I didn't want to look at a smaller TV and Surround Sound system instead.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
I'd recommend the Samsung LN32A450 for under your budget or the Samsung LN37A450 at the top end of it but you going to have to do your own homework on your wishlist and it's spec's as that's asking a bit much for us to do it for you.


Amazon does a good job of listing the specs for you to cross match that wish list which may be challenging for your budget price target. 32 owners give it five stars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I didn't post up what I was looking at was to make sure I wasn't missing "the" monitor of the century, I wanted it to seem like I am totally up to suggestions. Thanks for the starting point thought!


EDIT: I was looking at the 32" Samsung before, but I had read that it makes a terrible PC monitor, but thanks to the reviewer, he gave no reason as to why. I guess what I want to know is what would disqualify a Tv from being my PC monitor? And should I go with a 32" or a 37", it will be sitting on the desk that I am going to be in a chair right next to in my dorm room.


Thanks Again,


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelTASteve /forum/post/14264595


EDIT: I was looking at the 32" Samsung before, but I had read that it makes a terrible PC monitor, but thanks to the reviewer, he gave no reason as to why. I guess what I want to know is what would disqualify a Tv from being my PC monitor?

the 450 wouldn't make a terrible PC monitor, but the 550 would make a much better one! don't get me wrong, i thought the 450 produced a great picture for my 360, it's just that the 1360x768 resolution was a bit too big for me. what resolution are you currently using on your 19" Sony monitor?


and how far away from it are you going to be? i will tell you right now, if you're putting it on a desk and sitting about 3 feet away or so, the 37" would be too big...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Sony is a 720P, and I am more then pleased with the monitor, the only reason I am going to upgrade is because I finally have the money for once! I am going to be sitting maybe 2 to 3 feet away from the new monitor, so I was also thinking that the 37" might be too big. I have been doing more reading, and it seems some people are complaining about ghosting on this monitor. Would there be a way I could test it in the store, or something to look for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I disagree with FIVE ONE SIX that the LN32A450 makes a terrible monitor. Actually it's been the best monitor that I've found including ALL 1080p models (including the LN32A550 and even the top end ones). The reason being is my use (there are several threads on this).


Now, I don't do 360, but for your purposes and distance (3-1/2 feet just like me) a 1080p (like the LN32A550) might be a BETTER choice for YOU. It all boils down to whether you want 1360x768 or 1920x1080 resolutuion. I greatly prefer the former as it has advantages for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelTASteve /forum/post/14263383


Hey all,


I am currently on a 6 year old 19" Sony computer monitor, and it is starting to give out. The pixels are darkening at an alarming rate, but I guess it's about had it's time, and plenty of hours. With my Economic Stimulus check arriving soon, and a birthday coming up, I think it is about time to replace the old dino. I am looking for something that is going to do both my PC and my 360, since I don't really watch TV. However, I want it to be BIG, I love BIG monitors, and if I had a few grand I would gladly buy something huge like the 60" monitors they have in our digital media labs. Alas, I just had to pay another $8K for this semester, and that took a rather big chunk out of my credit. I know there isn't supposed to be any price talk, but I hope it is ok to say that I am searching for something less then $800, because anything over that is just not do-able at this moment in time.


What it MUST have:

Ability to play PC games on it through VGA or DVI (I know some monitors can be hooked up to a PC, but I can't have too much lag)

Component RGB jacks (For my 360)


What would be nice:

HDMI Input (For my upscaling DVD player)

Optical Output (to piss off my new dorm neighbors with my surround)

Backlit remote


Any and all help is greatly appreciated, because I went to a local store and was scoffed at because I told them how much money I had to spend, and that no, I didn't want to look at a smaller TV and Surround Sound system instead.


Steve

Try 32RV530U .... ~800 1080p 32" or Panasonic TC-32LZ800/37LZ85 .... or Costco has a good deal this week on 1080p monitors


I have a Panasonic and it looks very good, esp viewing angles and colors. I need to get around my Linux drivers to display beyond 1776x1000 but I am hoping that its not a big deal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2007 /forum/post/14268781


I disagree with FIVE ONE SIX that the LN32A450 makes a terrible monitor. Actually it's been the best monitor that I've found including ALL 1080p models (including the LN32A550 and even the top end ones). The reason being is my use (there are several threads on this).


Now, I don't do 360, but for your purposes and distance (3-1/2 feet just like me) a 1080p (like the LN32A550) might be a BETTER choice for YOU. It all boils down to whether you want 1360x768 or 1920x1080 resolutuion. I greatly prefer the former as it has advantages for me.

I am going to go back to Best Buy tomorrow with my laptop and hook it up to both 450 and 550 models, and decide there. Thank you very much for all your help (everyone).


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX /forum/post/14267393


the 450 wouldn't make a terrible PC monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2007 /forum/post/14268781


I disagree with FIVE ONE SIX that the LN32A450 makes a terrible monitor.

i don't remember ever saying that it would be a terrible PC monitor, i just thought the 550 was better for me, but like is always the case to each their own. as long as you're happy with what you have, that's the most important thing...


i don't know if the OP was refering to me or not, i just chimed in with my opinion...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
DelTASteve:


The results via VGA->VGA from your laptop to the LCD will not even come close to PC DVI->LCD DVI/HDMI to any LCD (as VGA->VGA can not do 1:1 pixel mapping). If VGA is your only PC-out connection then fine, if not then your wasting your time as a digital (DVI/HDMI) conection will give you totally different results. Also, make sure your laptop is able to display 1360x768 and/or 1366x768 BEFORE you go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Five, you would be included with the "everyone" statement. I took it to heart, and am looking seriously into the 550. I just don't want to get the 450 and then keep saying to myself "Dang, shoulda spent the extra $150 and got the 550", but then again, I don't want to spend an unnecessary $150. I guess I am trying to gauge whether or not my DVI - HDMI (I guess that would be the best way to hook up my computer) connection is going to be good enough to warrant a 1080p panel.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Get a Panasonic. I have the cheaper LZ85 series and I just got 1:1 1080p to work with a DVI->HDMI
Awesome! Superb colors and great viewing angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelTASteve /forum/post/14272138


Five, you would be included with the "everyone" statement. I took it to heart, and am looking seriously into the 550. I just don't want to get the 450 and then keep saying to myself "Dang, shoulda spent the extra $150 and got the 550", but then again, I don't want to spend an unnecessary $150. I guess I am trying to gauge whether or not my DVI - HDMI (I guess that would be the best way to hook up my computer) connection is going to be good enough to warrant a 1080p panel.


Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
If you're going to use it as a typical PC monitor (i.e. on your dorm desk where it's probably 2 feet from your face), I'd strongly suggest something with 1080p. I have 24" computer monitor that does 1920x1200 and I find the pixel spacing just about perfect on that, and I would personally find 720p on a 32" monitor too grainy.


I think the reason some people don't like some TVs as PC monitors is because the pixels are strange shapes. On my PC monitor, the pixels are square as you'd expect, but on my Samsung A550, they're in the shape of chevrons -- cleartype doesn't work too well on the TV. If you're far enough, it won't matter because you won't be able to resolve the pixels though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
On my LN32A450 (using it as we speak), the "screen-door effect" really isn't visible until about 3 feet. I spend it most of the time about 3-3-1/2 feet from the TV, and most of the time as a PC monitor & I don't notice it (in normal usage). I only really notice it (but not too badly) on a static image (especially with contiguous darker shades) and if I concentrate on trying to isolate the effect. On black areas, white areas, and moving images I don't notice it, the same goes for word processors and spreadsheets. I believe, it all has to do with the processing and depixelization employed. Samasung & Sony are good with this in my experience, and Vizio (specifically VW26L) the worse, although the Vizio had extremely sharp text.


BTW, The text on the LN32A450 is razor sharp (via DVI-HDMI @1360x768 1:1), so I'm able to do word processing and spreadsheets very comfortably.


BTW-II, the pixels are square on the LN32A450.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and go the LN32A550 as I am going to be sitting rather close to the monitor, and it seemed to meet or exceed what I asked of it. Thanks to everyone for their help. It should be here in 3 - 5 business days.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top