AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I went to wal-mart to buy a 20 or 26 inch CRT and found out that they don't carry them anymore. So i started looking at the tv's they had on display and saw the sharp, sony and samsung that were looking good compared to other tvs. I also know that they don't have the best set up in the store and the Tvs would look much better at home.

So basically I want a tv in the $600 range, cheaper the better,screen size I guess i will be stuck with 32".

Now I would like to know what are my choices and which one should I go for. Also, since I will be in college, I will not have the time or the energy to deal with a problem if something goes wrong. So, suggest me a tv that does not have any known problems and is popular here and would last me a couple of years.

Also, is there any significant difference in price between a 32 " and a 37". Size is not and issue, but if the prices are higher for smaller sizes that I might as well buy a bigger tv.

Thanks for reading, hope to see some response.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i think 37 inch would be quite a bit more than a 32 inch. if you are willing to buy online, and can stretch your budget a bit, i would recommend either the sony kdl-32l4000 or samsung ln32a450.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 37's cost roughly the same as a 40. IMO go with a 32 if your on a budget, I know how it feels since I'm in the same boat as you with the whole college thing, money is tight right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't you find a friend / family member to donate a CRT tv to you? When I was in college I found a 25 inch console tv that my family no longer wanted. Seems like with the piles of 32 inch crts headed to the graveyard you could find a free option.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i'll sell you my sony 34 inch crt xbr960 if you live anywhere near jersey for that price with the stand but you have to pick it up cuz its heavy

much better picture

oh and try craiglists for older crt's that are much bigger than some rinky dinky cheap lcd's...you'll find a decent crt at around that price

but then again your going to college and in a dorm and lugging around some bulky tv is probably not ideal

try walmart...i see 700 dollar 32 inch lcd's all the time...and there are some good 40 inch 1080p lcd's that may be going out of production that go for like a 1000 if your patient and can save for a bit more

here is a 37inch for 700 http://www.plasmawholesale.com/produ...productid=3281

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think a cheap used front pj might be your best bet. Portability vs screen size factor is huge.

How about a large lcd monitor, you can double for computer use as well as tv. for 600 you should be able to get a nice 24in widescreen with hdmi.

I imagine in school you wont have so much real estate in that room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts