Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am wondering how close everyones 6UY is as far as color calibration is concerned (using DVE or AVIA). The blue and red are close on mine, but the green is WAY off. Can this be "tweaked" or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Eric,

I've been wondering about this too (and meaning to post a message similar to yours). Using DVE, I was able to get my blue and red dialed in pretty easily, so that I had a uniform color across the test pattern on both. However, my greens have several noticeably different shaded blocks. I'm wondering if anyone knows which (if any) of the service menu adjustments can be used to adjust the green?

Chris

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Those color filters can be off. I had my plasma (5uy) professionally calibrated. I also used Avia to calibrate prior to this. What I found:

Eventhough blue and red seemed to be "on" via Avia green was shown as being underdriven by 20%. The pro calibrator using colorfacts 6000 on the same DVD player, showed quite a difference. Red and green were pretty much in line with each other at 85%, however, blue was at 100%. He adjusted these in the service menu using the cutoffs and gains to get each color to 100% at a 100 IRE window.

I think you will find that is about as good as you are going to get, unless you get colorfacts 6000 or have the unit pro calibrated. I posted my settings here .

Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Rich,

The "color" adjustments you are describing are actually gray scale adjusments. Colorfacts was measuring the amount of red, green and blue that make white, in relation to the D6500 standard. I'm also Colofacts user/owner.

The problem Eric is describing is in the color decoder and is actually a separate issue. I have spent a tremendous amount of time in the service menu trying to correct the color decoder, and so far, I'm convinced that the green saturation cannot be corrected using the standard service menu parameters. It may be possible with some dangerous registry data change procedure, but I'm not willing to attemp anything like that.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Thanks Steve and yes, I ususally do get the two confused. I did notice that, after the pro calibration, that the filters did still show the green to be underdriven. I had written it off to "filter error". Oh well, I guess all is not utopian in plasma land.:(

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Rich,

This appears to be a common (maybe universal) issue with the Panasonic plasmas. IMO, it's intentional and has something to do with the green phosphor that Panasonic uses. Someone recently disagreed with me about this, but every Panny owner with whom I have discussed this has the same issue. I have tried adjusting the color decoder while turning on the individual color "guns" in the service menu (i.e. not using the colored filters) and still had no success.

I really don't think it's a problem. The picture quality is outstanding and the colors look fine. One Sunday while watching a football game in HD, I looked out the window at my front lawn and realized that the grass was the exact same color as the field shown on the plasma. That made me feel a lot better, you really can't complain about what the test patterns show you when the picture looks that good.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the "green" filter that comes with Avia and DVE are "leaky" (confirmed with a lab-grade dichroic filter that I have access to). They allow some red and blue to come through, so you can't really do the color assesment on green, you can only estimate it. It won't look quite right using the gelatin filter supplied in the kit.

If you get blue and red setup well, the green will usually fall pretty close, inspite of what the filter lets through.

Stacking several pieces of green filter together seems to make it a little better.

To the best of my memory, I think the DVE filter I got was a lot worse than the Avia filter. May have been the other way round, it's been a while since I've had them out. One is worse than the other, neither does the job completely.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Nuke,

Unfortunately, I also checked the color decoder by turning off the red and blue "guns" and got the same result, so I don't think it is just a case of poor filters.

-Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've read this thread and am a bit confused.

Are folks saying that the Panny 50 6UY has a green push? I've been looking at the consumer 50 at magnolia and for the life of me...it looks a bit green to me. I've gone into vivid, standard, and other modes and adjusted the tint around, but compared to the Panny 42 HD next to it, the 50 looks green. Can't seem to get rid of it.

Any thoughts? Is this an isolated incident or do other folks see this on their 50" sets? I was all set to pull the trigger on the 50 6UY, but the color on this set is making me pause.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This discussion actually refers to "green pull" which means that there is less green saturation than there should be. This is a color decoder issue and implies that green colored objects such as grass are less green than they should be.

Your obsevations sound more like a gray scale problem, meaning that instead of being neutral, white (actually all shades of gray) is tinted green. This would tint everthing in the picture slightly green, not just green objects. This is easily correctible with a calibration using the appropriate equipment (or by hiring an ISF tech who will have the equipment).

-Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grunt,

SLB is right. The Pany actually doesn't push the green at all. The only reason I brought this up is because when I looked at the green calibration chart with the decoder, it was a little below normal. As far as viewing is concerned, the picture is spectacular. You definately can't go wrong with this display....pull the trigger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.