AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I had the privilege of having a PLV-60 in my home for a trial.

In general I found the unit very very good with a progressive scan DVD player. Two areas that I found the unit could have improvements in are:

1. Contrast in very dark greys. For example I could not see the details of black suits (lapels and pockets) in two DVDs I viewed: Titanic and Driven. Tried to turn up the contrast of the projector but that caused the whites to be too bright.

2. Color seemed off in Toy Story 2. In particular, scenes that involved 'daylight'; the yard sale scene was too yellow.

Any suggestions? Would a proper calibration help this?

Ray

------------------

Still looking for that Home Theatre.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Don't worry about Toy Story 2. I have seen this movie 10,000,000,000 times with my 3 year old on a Panasonic 34" 16:9 HDTV picture tube running progressive scan. Yes the daylight scene for some reason looks like someone spilled a gallon of yellow die on the film.

JT :)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Gray screen should help contrast and make colors more accurate. Grayhawk is best but pricey as it has more gain than typical gray screen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Radar,

I too have recently had a demo of the Sanyo. While I can't comment on the whites which remained white, the blacks certainly did merge altogether into dark grey. The library scene in The Mummy showed the curators jacket as a single black, merging into the black(?) border. Colours though were very deep and saturated.

What was disappointing was that my 'demo man' set it up with Avia and the filter kit with three days tweaking before I viewed it. Edge detail was tizzy to boot. Admittedly, I should see it on a Grayhawk but access to one in the UK at a local level is difficult.

The Sanyo 60 has unfortunately been removed from my list leaving the Sony 11HT, the new Hitachi sx5500 and possibly a look at the Plus Piano 848x600 DLP.

Miro.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping to consider the Sony myself, however, Sony's marketing policies have really turned me off.

Sony will only sell their product through a 'certified' audio/video store in Canada and will fix the price. I was hoping to get the unit from the Professional dealer, but when the Sony rep. learned that the Dealer was planning to sell to a Home Theatre user instead of a commercial institution, he would not allow the sale to continue.

Sony are off my list for any future purchases until they change their attitudes.

Sorry for the rant, but we live in a capitalist country, l don't appreciate a company dictating how to sell product to their dealers.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.