AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a Nvidia Shield TV (non-pro) to replace a Fire Stick 4K, so i could passthrough all the audio formats with Plex. I'm using it with my still awesome Pioneer KRP-500M 1080p Kuro Plasma. While the audio is great, I'm noticing color banding issues on streaming apps (Netflix, HBO Max). This is not happening on my Fire Stick 4K. I tried changing various settings on the Shield to no avail. I then moved the Shield to a different 1080p TV with a different HDMI cable, and it is having the banding issue there as well. Thinking it must be defective, I exchanged it with another Shield, but it is doing the exact same thing.

Besides some older posts related to banding issues on some LG OLED TVs, I haven't seen anyone else complain of this issue. Does anyone have some ideas on what might be going on or what I can possibly try to fix this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
What are your video settings set to in the Shield? You said you tried the "various settings" but what do you mean exactly? I see banding if I push my Shield's settings too high into my Sony PJ. My setup is 4K, so I have to keep my bitrate and refresh rate within the specs of my PJ. But if I do, I don't see any banding at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I literally tried every setting available under Advanced Display Settings. I tried every Color Space, changed Dynamic Range, tried different refresh rates, etc. I'm only streaming 1080p, so it shouldn't be that demanding.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since it happens on multiple TVs, it may be time to investigate whether a different Sheild TV has the same problems. I suspicion an interference problem internal to the Shield TV (or maybe with the cable).

Rather than firewalling all of the settings out of the gate, set everything to minimum and work your way up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since it happens on multiple TVs, it may be time to investigate whether a different Sheild TV has the same problems. I suspicion an interference problem internal to the Shield TV (or maybe with the cable).

Rather than firewalling all of the settings out of the gate, set everything to minimum and work your way up.
I've already replaced the Shield with another with the same results. What settings should I change to their minimums, and what would those minimums be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm curious about the Display settings you have on your Shield, considering you are using a 1080p display.

I would think settings such as - [email protected] - - RGB 8-Bit or YUV420 - 8bit REC 709 would be some of the options available.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those settings are available. I can't say I tried different resolutions, but I could try that. I can't see why I would need to lower the resolution to get things working properly though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried those options, and they didn't help with the problem. This is just crazy to me. I can't understand how I could be having this issue with multiple Shield devices on different TVs, whereas I'm not having them with the Fire TV stick.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've already replaced the Shield with another with the same results. What settings should I change to their minimums, and what would those minimums be?
I'd start with the factory settings and try a different HDMI cable (since you're probably not using that cable with the Fire Stick).

Always look closely at all the common bits if the problem appears across different setups.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what I've tried:

1) Performed factory reset and used default settings
2) Tried all the settings under Advanced Display Settings (Color Space, Dynamic Range, refresh rates)
3) Used multiple HDMI cables
4) Moved it to a different TV with a different HDMI cable
5) Exchanged it for another Shield

None of these have changed the behavior. I have multiple Fire TV sticks and a couple TiVos with the same streaming apps and have never noticed the color banding. I can't imagine no one else hasn't noticed this issue, and I have to believe that I didn't get two defective Shield TVs. Is there any issue using these on a 1080p TV?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts