AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is something covered elsewhere, but I must be using the wrong search terms. There's probably even an AVS forum name for it.

I've got an old Infocus X1a with 155 hours on the lamp. It's probably from '04, and we only watch DVDs on it via component. Not a dedicated room, so I've got a pull down screen and just set up the pj on movie nights (hence the smallish hours total).

Anyway, it hasn't gotten much use the last 6 months or so. Last night I broke it out and noticed the problem. The movie looked OK (a bit dim, maybe) but then I noticed a horizontal band of purple/pink straight across the middle of the screen. It was maybe 3 inches thick on a 90" throw. It appeared in the middle and then slowly moved towards the top, to be replaced by a similar band, this time greenish. The color bands are really faint, but both the wife and I noticed them. I think they only started appearing after the pj had been running for a while. I let it cool down and then put in another movie. They were gone, so I watched for 20 minutes and they started up again.

I'm wondering if the bulb is going, or the color wheel needs cleaning, or something else.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It sounds like you're picking up some interference. Check the InFocus splash screen. If it doesn't show up there, one of your video cables is probably picking up interference from another device.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There is NO way a lamp could be the cause, nor can it be attributed to the color wheel.

Moving bands of interference can almost always be traced to induced interference, as TF Ghost said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm sure you guys are right, though I haven't been able to check it yet. I added a Wii to that hookup since the last time the pj has been used--I bet that's the cause.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's where I would start. If you can't figure out what's causing it you can do a search on "ground loop" and find some helpful tips on troubleshooting the issue. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts