AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just received my Epson 8700UB and have discovered that the owners manual assumes a degree of knowledge I do not yet have. I need to tone down the amount of green in the THX picture setting but have no idea what the difference is between hue, saturation and brightness, much less offset or gain. I tried searching these terms but have not found information that I think would apply to adjusting a projector. Would someone either clue me to what these terms mean to me regarding my projector or point me to a site that would help me to learn what I need to know. I plan on having the projector professionally calibrated but have read I need to wait a little while. I also ordered the Disney WOW Blu-ray but am watching Inception tonight and really miss (or am just used to) the look of the Panasonic 900 I replaced. As always, thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid13 /forum/post/19630604

Greetings,

I just received my Epson 8700UB and have discovered that the owners manual assumes a degree of knowledge I do not yet have. I need to tone down the amount of green in the THX picture setting but have no idea what the difference is between hue, saturation and brightness, much less offset or gain. I tried searching these terms but have not found information that I think would apply to adjusting a projector. Would someone either clue me to what these terms mean to me regarding my projector or point me to a site that would help me to learn what I need to know. I plan on having the projector professionally calibrated but have read I need to wait a little while. I also ordered the Disney WOW Blu-ray but am watching Inception tonight and really miss (or am just used to) the look of the Panasonic 900 I replaced. As always, thank you in advance for your help.

Offset is used adjust of the low end of grayscale, gain is used to adjust the high end..

If you do not have a meter and know how I would not mess around with these settings. If you think your picture has too much green try using the tint control to take it out.

I would also recommend getting a display setup bluray such as digital video essentials that comes with a filter to adjust tint by eye.

If you really want to learn about color/grayscale calibration, I highly recommend this article...

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I read the first posting and it was very helpful. The second recommended article will take some time to get through but is wonderfully informative. I must admit it made my eyes glaze over a little. Anyone wondering if it's worth having a pro come in and calibrate their display needs to look at that article. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.