AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I've moved to a new house and started a new room. After adding 3 more soffits to balance out the room, I couldn't decide on a way to finish the ceiling that would still allow me to access stuff later. Who knows what the surround format wars will bring! :) So I decided on a drop ceiling using a standard 2x2 grid and tiles from www.ceilume.com. (btw, those guys are great!)

Anyway, the entire room is 16'x24' with the drop ceiling area 12'x18'. The ceiling grid is standard Armstrong from Lowes and ceiling tiles are Ceilume 2x2 translucent Westminster tiles. Lighting is from 6" cans that were there from the builder with Philips HUE bulbs. I've added some pics to get feedback and show my progress...

More to come soon/On the drawing board...
- New PJ and Screen (replacing Epson 8350 and Carada 110" - thinking JVC X500R and ST158")
- Screen wall with hacked Ikea Besta storage units with fabric wrapped doors.
- Chair rail with some type of wall covering. (Taking votes on panels or curtains.)
- Seating (replacing 4 Berline 090's w/ Dark Blue bonded - had too many kids!)

Current Gear
- Power = Belkin PureAV Theater surge protector
- AVR = Pioneer SC-85
- Sources = FiOS and Oppo BD-103D (Thinking about Plex?)
- Speakers = Polk RTi70 Towers, CSi40 Center, FXi30 Surrounds, playing with Atrium 4s for Atmos/Backs, Velodyne 12" (Looking for replacements) :)
- Control = Logitech Ultimate Home w iPad Mini

Anyway, here's to getting your feedback and input.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finished installing the ceiling grid, leveling and popped in all the tiles. Btw, it took much longer than I thought to level out the grid. Add some shots with lights off, on, and some odd Hue multi-color setting.

Room layout is still up in the air, I like it 24x16 (short) to maximize the width and options for max people without needing a riser; but know that 16x24 (long) will provide better surround placement and will need a riser. Thoughts? Ideally need to seats 8.

Also taped off 158" diag 2.35:1, part of me thinks it's a little big (wait, did I really say that?).

And temporarily put my old Berkline 090s and old Polks and Ikea storage in place.

Oh, and ignore the hanging sheets (thanks for the idea Steve); they're my temp wall and imaginary barn doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Interesting...

How much space is there between the can lights and the translucent ceiling tiles? I would think a more diffuse light source would look better.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...

How much space is there between the can lights and the translucent ceiling tiles? I would think a more diffuse light source would look better.
The can lights are standard 6in cans that were pre-existing. The bulbs are the original HUE lamps (UPC or EAN No.: 046677426361) and there's about 7 inches between the ceiling and the tiles. With the brightness all the way up, they are very hot and don't diffuse much. I've thought LED strips might be a better choice around the perimeter and will try it with the 1 strip I have this week. Honestly, part of me likes it even though its novel and I turn them all out when watching anything.

My real concern with the translucent tiles are what they look like with the PJ on; that testing will be about a week from now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finished installing the ceiling grid, leveling and popped in all the tiles. Btw, it took much longer than I thought to level out the grid. Add some shots with lights off, on, and some odd Hue multi-color setting.

Room layout is still up in the air, I like it 24x16 (short) to maximize the width and options for max people without needing a riser; but know that 16x24 (long) will provide better surround placement and will need a riser. Thoughts? Ideally need to seats 8.

Also taped off 158" diag 2.35:1, part of me thinks it's a little big (wait, did I really say that?).

And temporarily put my old Berkline 090s and old Polks and Ikea storage in place.

Oh, and ignore the hanging sheets (thanks for the idea Steve); they're my temp wall and imaginary barn doors.
Ok, I'm back from Orlando and going to Infocom 2015! Cool event and lots of interesting AV and IT gear. Not much more progress, but I did manage to tape out 2 walls and cutout some foam to represent some potential inwall speakers.

3rd pic still has sheets instead of wall and barn doors. And if you look close enough, you'll see part of a foam bar I built to visualize the future.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm back from Orlando and going to Infocom 2015! Cool event and lots of interesting AV and IT gear. Not much more progress, but I did manage to tape out 2 walls and cutout some foam to represent some potential inwall speakers.

3rd pic still has sheets instead of wall and barn doors. And if you look close enough, you'll see part of a foam bar I built to visualize the future.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Ok, I'm looking for some feedback on a couple of layout options.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Personally I prefer a chair to a couch but like @Stereodude said it's a personal preference.
The long layout looks better and gives you more separation from your rear surrounds
Tough to tell but what are your seating distances in the long layout?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I prefer a chair to a couch but like @Stereodude said it's a personal preference.
The long layout looks better and gives you more separation from your rear surrounds
Tough to tell but what are your seating distances in the long layout?
Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding. The room is currently setup in the long layout (screen on right side wall). The room is 16x22, and the first row is about 9ft from the 140" 16:9 screen. Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 sounds great in this layout due to the separation of channels.

·
Registered
26,917 Posts
Curious about this topic, too. Have a Grafik Eye (3106)

I have an outlet that my current rope lighting plugs into that is one zone of my Grafik-Eye. It is set up to dim.

So, what do I need to get a rope light that changes color and are rope lights dimmable and OK for use on a Grafik-Eye?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
So, what do I need to get a rope light that changes color and are rope lights dimmable and OK for use on a Grafik-Eye?
I'm not sure that's a possibility. Pretty much all the color changing "rope" light I've seen is low voltage LED strips and requires a special controller. I don't know how you could interface that to a Grafik-Eye. Connecting it to a Phillips HUE system is possible though.

·
Registered
26,917 Posts
I'm not sure that's a possibility. Pretty much all the color changing "rope" light I've seen is low voltage LED strips and requires a special controller. I don't know how you could interface that to a Grafik-Eye. Connecting it to a Phillips HUE system is possible though.
Thanks. Note that the outlet itself is one zone of the Grafik Eye. Plug the transformer in and go??.. Still possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
Thanks. Note that the outlet itself is one zone of the Grafik Eye. Plug the transformer in and go??.. Still possible?
That's not how the various strings I'm familiar with work. They use PWM dimming on each of the three RGB channels with a constant DC voltage. Or, each LED is individually addressable and RGB data is shifted to them from a microcontroller. Reducing the voltage to the power supply won't dim the LEDs.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updates

I bought new speakers for the theater and posted about my buying experience in the speakers forum as TruAudio B23-465s Rock! They're awesome and I've been moving them around the room while thinking about which layout I like the best.

I've also been reviewing the forums and some links that Big sent me for wall panels. I like the idea of building panels and have come up with the attached concept.

For the side walls, I was thinking of building upper and lower panels separated by a rail with some LEDs. The panels would be typical 1x2s with acoustic material and fabric.

For the front wall, I was thing about floor to ceiling panels with 1x4s built to hold the in wall speakers and acoustic materials and facbric (except where the speakers are) and then a AT screen in front of those panels on Z clips.

Thoughts, dos' and don'ts?

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updates

I bought new speakers for the theater and posted about my buying experience in the speakers forum as TruAudio B23-465s Rock! They're awesome and I've been moving them around the room while thinking about which layout I like the best.

I've also been reviewing the forums and some links that Big sent me for wall panels. I like the idea of building panels and have come up with the attached concept.

For the side walls, I was thinking of building upper and lower panels separated by a rail with some LEDs. The panels would be typical 1x2s with acoustic material and fabric.

For the front wall, I was thing about floor to ceiling panels with 1x4s built to hold the in wall speakers and acoustic materials and facbric (except where the speakers are) and then a AT screen in front of those panels on Z clips.

Thoughts, dos' and don'ts?
Ok, I've decided to do 2 rows and not do sectionals. I've updated the drawing with my latest idea. 21' Throw using JVC X750R on a 160" 2.35 AT Screen. First row 9' from screen, Second row 15'. I've used the Theater planning spreadsheet from Carlton Bale and I think everything will work. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Column or Panel to cover window?

Ok, now that I've decided to arrange the room in the best layout, with 2 rows of seats and a riser. I have a new problem that I'd like some advice on. What do you think the best method/layout would be for the side speakers? As you can see, the room has a window. In the theater room image column image below, I drew two ideas.

Idea 1 (Upper wall with Window) - build 2 wall columns with scones. hide the window behind a fabric wall panel. install the speaker in the wall and hide behind a fabric wall panel.

Idea 2 (Lower wall no Window) - similar to the Martin Logan demo room at CEDIA2015, build a single wide column with the speaker inside that would hide the window, with two side panels led lit from the back.

Note, the speakers are TruAudio B23 in walls with their own enclosures.

I've also added a pic of the entire basement so you get the feel of the flow/layout. And I've decided to go with new Fusion seating to maximize the number of seats. They have some great options that aren't super wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front wall acoustic options?

I've build some frames for the front LCRs and will have about 21" of space behind them. I did a search on "screen+wall+acoustics" and looked through the acoustic treatment thread. Please help me figure out the best treatment for the wall behind the front LCRs. Note, the wall is already finished, poured concrete, 2x4 framed, 1/2 drywall with R19 insulation. I assume that some simple bass traps in the corners and some 1-2" foam or materials from acoustimac would work?

Also, how are most people getting their insulation black?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've build some frames for the front LCRs and will have about 21" of space behind them. I did a search on "screen+wall+acoustics" and looked through the acoustic treatment thread. Please help me figure out the best treatment for the wall behind the front LCRs. Note, the wall is already finished, poured concrete, 2x4 framed, 1/2 drywall with R19 insulation. I assume that some simple bass traps in the corners and some 1-2" foam or materials from acoustimac would work?

Also, how are most people getting their insulation black?
Anyone? No? Ok, we'll I've made some minor progress and picked up a new years gift. Out with 2015 and the Velodyne CT-100 I've had for a very long time; and in with dual SVS PC-2000s! Still NIB and will try and get to them soon, but I've made some progress on designing a screen wall and figured out it's just big enough to hide the rack. Minor progress pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Screen wall pics or drawings with a door integrated

Anyone have some pics or drawings of a screen wall with an integrated door to hide equipment? I only have 23" of depth to work with and about 30" on each side of the screen. The pic below shows to speaker frames to hold the LCRs. Primary Screen frame posts not there yet, and I just received my Acoustimac fabric samples. Thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts