AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba HDTV coupled to a Hughes e86 stb. The CBS shows really look good and my one of the best is "The District" on Sat. night. The picture is quite stunning. The "richness" of the color makes the picture look like film. Is the color depth better on the HDTV picture or is it just the much better resolution of 1080i that makes the picture look so much better? Whatever it is, it is worth all the money and effort that I have invested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am *not* an authority, but I do believe that in all of my reading about the new ATSC standard that is does, indeed, define a new color standard for the broadcast. This color standard was intended to provide a truer and more predictable color that NTSC.

Are there others that can confirm?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The improvement in color in HDTV is a combination of two items:

Color Resolution:

In our old NTSC system because Color was added after B&W the amount of the color resolution is equal to about 100 lines of hortizontal resolution while the B&W was about 330 (these are for broadcast TV). In HDTV the Color Res. is the same as is for B&W so there is no more smearing or color shifting within the image . The Hort. Res for HDTV runs from 700 to 1200 depending on the source.

Improved Color Palette:

Our old NTSC system could not reproduce certain colors that were outside of the frequency range of the system. Colors like HOT PINK or ROYAL PURPLE were beyond the NTSC system. But with HDTV these colors and many more are now reproducable. In essence the spectrum of colors is greater with HDTV then it was with NTSC.

Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.