AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

BACKGROUND:   I purchased my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV (a CRT based model) on 11/14/06.  As this was my first HDTV, I was literally amazed by the picture quality and the color.  

PROBLEM:  Fast forward eight years later to February, 2014.  The picture quality deteriorated.  Color flares were evident for plum-purple, lime green and lemon yellow.  I called a HDTV Repair Service and, from my description of the problem, they said it sounded as if the picture tube was failing.

ATTEMPTS TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:   I tried to trouble-shoot the problem by what I read in the Sony Owners Manual and information from Sony’s website.

I disconnected the HDTV from the electrical outlet for 30 minutes.  I removed stereo speakers from the room where the HDTV is located.  I restored the HDTV Factory Settings from instructions in the manual.  I restored the HDTV Picture Settings from instructions in the manual.  I changed the HDTV Picture Settings to see if this would make a difference.  I searched the Internet for solutions.  I changed the HDTV from 480i to 480p to 720p to 1080i.  None of what I tried corrected the color flare and picture quality problem.  I also called SONY and they had no suggestions on how to correct the problem.

THE MIRACLE HAPPENS:   In late May of 2014, after I ordered a new HDTV, I turned on my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV.  The COLOR FLARE problem was gone.  The PICTURE QUALITY was sharp and clear like the day the HDTV first arrived.  What happened?  If the picture tube was going bad I don’t understand how, all of a sudden, the HDTV problems disappeared.

I’ve subscribed to DISH Network from the day I purchased this HDTV.  It was almost as if DISH Network had flipped a switch and now the color flare and picture quality problems were gone.  But I don’t understand how DISH Network could have caused the color flare problem.  DISH Network may have had a role in the picture quality but I don’t know.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I’d appreciate knowing what you think caused the color flare and picture quality problem.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Here's an example of what I mean by "color flare."  When watching The Cleveland Show, between his eyes . . . on the bridge of the nose on Cleveland's brown face was the color plum-purple, not brown as it was supposed to be.   Another example . . . when watching the Olympics or MSNBC, depending on the color background, the person's face would have the color plum-purple.  The color plum-purple would be displayed on the person's forehead and sometimes the legs.  The color flare could be anywhere from 1/4 inch wide to 1/2 an inch long, and 1/2 inch wide to 1/2 inch long.

Wish I had taken a photo of the problem but unfortunately I didn't.  Hope my explanation of "color flare" helps.  Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
342 Posts
What you describe almost sounds like bad convergence, but this will never fix itself. This points to a source problem, but we don't know enough about your equipment to say. Some HD boxes, DVD/BR players etc. support "deep color" over HDMI, this is a problem with older displays that do not support it, but I am guessing you did not fiddle with this or the dish box does not use it. Cable or socket problem perhaps? If a connection isn't proper and tight with some inputs you may get a picture, but an improper one, maybe a cable is crimped or frayed somewhere, or a socket loose.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMinor  /t/1525718/color-flare-problem-magi...-fd-trinitron-wega-xbr-hdtv-why#post_24566036

Hope my explanation of "color flare" helps.  Thanks.

Jim

Yes and you're welcome. Sounds more like what 'Snake is referring to and not a gauss problem. Bonus for me I learned about the deep color over HDMI on older displays problem, good to know down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts