AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am noticing color "halos" with my Sharp 9000 DLP projector when viewing DVD's through the S-video input. The effect is particularly noticable with animation, because of the large fields of solid colors. For example, if a character is wearing a red shirt, you can see a faint-red blurry ring where the color kind of "bleeds" beyond the outline of the shirt itself.

I compared the S-Video input with the VGA input using the same source device (Skyworth DVD player with VGA and S-video outputs), and the VGA picture was much sharper with no noticable "halos". I would watch all my DVD's through the VGA input, except that there's no widescreen "stretch" mode available through that input.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem with the S-video input of the Sharp? Will I solve the problem if I hook the progressive component video output of the Skyworth to the component input of the Sharp?

Thanks,

Q

·
Registered
479 Posts
The Sharp's S-Video input does not have a good reputation, as noted in Greg Rogers' Widescreen Review article and posts on this forum. I use a progressive-scan DVD player (Panasonic RP56) into the Sharp's component input and don't see any color "halos."

Remember too that DVDs with too much edge enhancement can give the edges of objects halos / ghosts / outlines. That's not the projector's fault. But you said the same material on the VGA input wasn't a problem, so edge enhancement shouldn't be the culprit.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try better Svideo cable. www.pccables.com has nice, cheap ones. I bought my Belkin's 50 foot Silver Series Svideo for $27 shipped from www.cdw.com before I knew about PCCables and I love mine too. No difference between this and my 6-foot Acoustic Research Svideo cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.