AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Question 1:

For Blu-Ray 1080P 24Htz calibration -

Under preferences, then references tab...

should gamma calculation be:

Display Gamma

or

Display Gamma with black level compensation

Also should the gamma calculation be the same for every source device?

Blu Ray

HD DVD

SD DVD

PC

Question 2:

SD DVD like Avia

Color Space should be:

Standard: SDTV - REC 601 (NTSC)?

Question 3:

Calibrating a Gaming PC for use on a Pioneer Kuro Elite for 0 - 255

Color space should be:

Standard: sRGB?

More Questions:

What is Display test color during measures?

What is Colors to add when measuring primaries and secondaries?

What is Reference colors for saturation graphs?

What is Black level?

What does Calibrate internal sensor offsets actually do?

How often do you need to recalibrate while calibrating, or not at all?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow, there's a lot of questions here, and I'm not sure I can answer all of them sufficiently, but hopefully others can.

I'm pretty sure on question 1 that everything is set up just fine. Using Rec 709 and display gamma with black compensation is the right thing for you there.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a firm answer on questions 2 and 3. I think I know, but it's far better if someone who actually knows can tell you.

"Display test color during measures" I believe gives you the option to put up a black screen when you are measuring (useful for measuring in the dark, so that your screen doesn't interfere with the measurements.) "Colors to add when measuring primaries and secondaries" will determine what colors the program will ask you to measure when you do primary and secondary measurements (i.e. white, black and white, or neither). The reason you might want this is because you can make sure that you are giving it the appropriate percentage level of white as a reference (like if you are using 75% color windows, you can then measure a 75% white at the end, so it is consistent). I don't know about the saturation question.

The black level section is actually quite important. This is kind of a "calibration" for your meter. Your meter can fluctuate its measurements for a variety of reasons, so you need to give it a baseline to work from. That baseline is pure black. So, you block all light from the sensor (there are lots of ways to do this, but you must make sure you are blocking ALL light) and hit, "calibrate internal sensor offsets". That will recalibrate your sensor's black level. I think the general recommendation is that the eye one display do this every 10-15 minutes, but I could be mistaken.

I hope my answers help some, and that others will be able to answer the ones that I could not!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.