AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!


I'm in a brain-frying problem concerning color issues when connecting my PC to my LCD TV via HDMI.


I've just bought a Dell Core2 Quad computer and upgraded the video card to an ATI Radeon 3450 HD with HDMI output to take advantage of my 46" Sharp LC46D64 TV's 1080p capabilities. I'm now faced with severely washed out colors and an annoying flicker that's reminiscent of old tube TVs with low refresh rates. This is not simply a video playback software problem - it's everything it displays, including bootup screens! I've upgraded the video driver, fiddled with ATI's Catalyst driver settings, changed to Limited Range RGB, tried every single display optimizer setting possible, but to no avail. The washed out colors and flickering persists.


Can someone saavy enlighten me on this? I'd greatly appreciate it.


Thanks!


-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Though I am not familiar with that particular TV, do you have your PC plugged into a "PC designated" HDMI port? I know that with my Samsung LCD tv, it operates differently when my htpc is connected to that particular HDMI input. So, you could always try plugging your PC into a different port just to eliminate this as a possibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Have you plugged anything else into the hdmi inputs to rule out problems with the Sharp or the cable?


I realize this has nothing to do with the boot screen, but does the tv accept 1080p over hdmi? I seem to recall that being a fairly rare feature when this tv was introduced. Just because it says "1080p" doesnt' mean you can input that signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plugged it in the HDMI port that used to serve my DVD player (which is a 1080p upscaling device). The only PC-designated port on the LC46D64 is the VGA port. The color and refresh rate problems don't appear when I plug it in as VGA, but it won't push full HD - which is the reason why I took the ATI Radeon 3450 HD card with HDMI upgrade. I pushed the resolution to the max at 1920 x 1080 (the TV's native pixel resolution), but the color/flicker issue doesn't dissapear when I set it lower. As I said, this is not a purely video problem. It has to do with everything it displays.


I haven't tried it on any different ports on the TV. But according to the instructions, every HDMI inputs should work. I'll let you guys brainstorm a bit, so here's a link to the instruction booklet that came with my TV for reference:

EDIT: crappers, I'm not a spammer and this is my 2nd post! You should find it at the sharpusa.com website... sorry. =(


Thanks a lot for all your help!


-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheng81 /forum/post/15562060


I plugged it in the HDMI port that used to serve my DVD player (which is a 1080p upscaling device). The only PC-designated port on the LC46D64 is the VGA port. The color and refresh rate problems don't appear when I plug it in as VGA, but it won't push full HD - which is the reason why I took the ATI Radeon 3450 HD card with HDMI upgrade. I pushed the resolution to the max at 1920 x 1080 (the TV's native pixel resolution), but the color/flicker issue doesn't dissapear when I set it lower. As I said, this is not a purely video problem. It has to do with everything it displays.


I haven't tried it on any different ports on the TV. But according to the instructions, every HDMI inputs should work. I'll let you guys brainstorm a bit, so here's a link to the instruction booklet that came with my TV for reference:

EDIT: crappers, I'm not a spammer and this is my 2nd post! You should find it at the sharpusa.com website... sorry. =(


Thanks a lot for all your help!


-B

I use an Nvidia 8600GT with HDMI output and I works great with my 52 inch XBR4. The computer is an HP with a quad core
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheng81 /forum/post/15560450


I've just bought a Dell Core2 Quad computer and upgraded the video card to an ATI Radeon 3450 HD with HDMI output

Did YOU upgrade the card after buying the computer, or, was this a Dell upgrade when you bought the PC?


If you upgraded it, I am just wondering if there is a driver conflict or something with the previously installed hardware. In addition, have you tried plugging the PC into a regular computer monitor just to eliminate certain possibilities...?


I read throught the Sharp manual, and I can find nothing that leads me to believe that it is a setting issue in the TV. It really seems like the card is "confused" as to the EDID data that the TV is supplying or something along that line.


Also, when changing inputs on your TV, does it temporarily display the current refresh rate/resolution?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a Dell upgrade.


The display status shows 1080p as input resolution. Not quite sure what refresh rate it is, as it doesn't show. I uninstalled the original driver that came with the computer and upgraded it with the latest Catalyst driver from ATI's website. The colors display fine and the screen doesn't flicker when I use the VGA connection, but I can't push it past 1360 x 768. It's the HDMI connection that's a little wonky.


-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts
hmmm, very interesting it looks like from the manual the TV should take the input no problem, infact it even mentions accpeting PC input on any of the 3 HDMI ins.


Make sure the TV is "dot by dot" mode.


In Catalyst Control Center, put it in advanced mode and go into digital Panel settings, check all the information to make sure it's consistent with your display. Then go into HDTV support and make sure you are set to 1080p. Setting it from there will make sure not just the resolution is correct, but also the refresh rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdrock /forum/post/15564756


You might try reading these posts...

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/fo...thread/100798/


I found this blurb on another site...


I have a Sharp Aquos LC52D64U and the manual http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_do..._46_52D64U.pdf states only Input 6 can handle the PC res, out of the 4 HDMI inputs available.


In addition, I am wondering if it might be a HDMI 1.3 communications issue.

Also, I am wondering if it might be an HDCP issue as well.

THe manual he links cleary states on page 15 (17 of the pdf) that pcs can be connected of 4, 5 or 6. Also he isn't trying to get PC resolution he is trying to get regular 1080p out of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15565341


THe manual he links cleary states on page 15 (17 of the pdf) that pcs can be connected of 4, 5 or 6. Also he isn't trying to get PC resolution he is trying to get regular 1080p out of it.

Yes, I read the manual. However, it was just a thought. The manual for my samsung LCD doesn't mention a couple of things that are pertinent to the PC input, in particular, 120Hz processing and strange color behaviour when a particular HDMI input is not labled correctly. In addition, I understand that he is trying to get 1920x1080 resolution. I am not sure why you thought I was confused about this. Do you have any suggestions other than picking my suggestions apart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay.


Now, I've done a fresh reinstall of Windows Vista Premium using the recovery DVD supplied by Dell. I proceeded with installing the latest Catalyst drivers, and now it doesn't even recognize the HDMI port's plugged in display! I'm using my old monitor to jiggle around the settings, but no matter what, I can't get the 2nd display via HDMI to work! I've tried all the input ports, and it's currently hooked to Input-5. The "Detect Display" button in the Catalyst Center doesn't find anything.


AARGH it's killing me! Please help...



-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdrock /forum/post/15565682


Yes, I read the manual. However, it was just a thought. The manual for my samsung LCD doesn't mention a couple of things that are pertinent to the PC input, in particular, 120Hz processing and strange color behaviour when a particular HDMI input is not labled correctly. In addition, I understand that he is trying to get 1920x1080 resolution. I am not why you thought I was confused about this. Do you have any suggestions other than picking my suggestions apart?

Well the link you provided didn't work, so it was hard to verify what you were saying. The fact that you knew he was trying to provide a standard HDMI resolution means that even if refresh rate was an issue it should be addressed in the driver an not the TV.


I'm sorry I dont' mean to be a dick about it, but at the same time your post conflicted with alot of what I had said in the preceding post, yet was less accurate to the specifics of the situation. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong for presenting them, just trying to rule out things that shouldn't be a problem so that the OP can stay on the right track to solving his issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheng81 /forum/post/15566493


Okay.


Now, I've done a fresh reinstall of Windows Vista Premium using the recovery DVD supplied by Dell. I proceeded with installing the latest Catalyst drivers, and now it doesn't even recognize the HDMI port's plugged in display! I'm using my old monitor to jiggle around the settings, but no matter what, I can't get the 2nd display via HDMI to work! I've tried all the input ports, and it's currently hooked to Input-5. The "Detect Display" button in the Catalyst Center doesn't find anything.


AARGH it's killing me! Please help...



-B

bad cable/bad card.


If it doesn't detect the monitor when it's plug directly in and you click detect monitor it may be more of a hardware issue than a software one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/15566528


Well the link you provided didn't work, so it was hard to verify what you were saying. The fact that you knew he was trying to provide a standard HDMI resolution means that even if refresh rate was an issue it should be addressed in the driver an not the TV.


I'm sorry I dont' mean to be a dick about it, but at the same time your post conflicted with alot of what I had said in the preceding post, yet was less accurate to the specifics of the situation. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong for presenting them, just trying to rule out things that shouldn't be a problem so that the OP can stay on the right track to solving his issue.

Fair enough.



As far as other suggestions go, man, I am really stumped here. I seem to recall having a similar issue with CCC and my old DLP TV when I connected another monitor to my PC. The more I tried to repair things, the more CCC screwed up. In the end, I had to do a total reinstall of XP, CCC and all was well.


You might just google around for Vista/Radeon 3450 conflicts. It seems very unlikely that this is a unique issue to your TV.


Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,


I'm sorry to have bothered you all. The problem is indeed fixed, and it was all because of an honest amateur mistake. Two things:


- The HDMI is sent to my AV receiver in the DVD port, which transmits the video feed to the TV. All I had to do for the computer to detect my TV was to change the output on the receiver to DVD... and miracle!


- The color issue was due to another family member who played with the TV's settings and set the sharpness, backlight brightness and contrast to 100%. No wonder colors were washed out, and severe clipping is found on both ends of the color spectrum! Oh well, for the life of me I couldn't figure that out. Ha ha!


The TV is now calibrated, and it displays full RGB range (full enough for a mid/high range LCD panel) - thanks to the LCD tests found at www.lagom.nl . My next mission would be to plug the computer directly to the TV (bypassing the AV receiver and freeing up an HDMI input), and use the 5.1 multi-channel output of the computer's sound card to feed the AV receiver.


Thanks for all your support and feedback! I really appreciated the time spent here, and will leave a little wiser.


Cheers,


-B
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top