AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need a color meter to complete my CRT PJ 'dialing in' but that's as far as it goes.

What makes/models are recommended?

Where do I go to get a good price (used is OK by me)?

Does anybody rent them?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, I need a color meter more frequently, and bit the bullet and bought a CA-1 from this forum. I am happy with it. However, if you only intend to cal your projector, you may want to have someone do it, or rent a unit. The CA-1 was about $1200. They only go up from there. The philips goes for about $4500. Used? Unlikely.... I looked for a long time, but maybe you get lucky.

Marc

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
The AV Science On-Line store was doing a power buy on the CA-1 at an additional nice discount, although I'm not sure if its over or not.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That would be the discount that I bought mine at :) A nice little unit, but you DO need a laptop or computer to use it. Any laptop that can run at least windows 3.1 with a serial port will work. I have tried this on a 486 toshiba and it works fine. Still, it's expensive if you only use it once a year to calibrate your projector. I do a lot of monitors as well, so for me it pays off. I think the buy is still valid, btw.

Marc

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I would recommend both the CA-1 and the Minolta CL-200. The CA-1 are very affordable priced and very accurate, but needs some time to be postioned correctly, and it dosen't measure light-output in any useful manner.

The Minolta CL-200 are a more expensive unit with a proper light diffuser, so it is just to held and measure, and it is very fast, and it measures light correctly if thats important.

If you only want an affordable and accurate device to measure x,y values then you can't go wrong with the CA-1. If you more frequent measure different projectors and also need to accuratly need to measure light-output - then the Minolta should be considered. The Minolta is twice the price of the CA-1!

Per Johnny Ødegaard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.