AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using a Da-Lite high power screen, does the color of the wall directly behind the screen make a difference in picture quality? The walls are a beige/tan in color and are textured. The screen will be going on a 150" wide wall and the screen is 116" wide. This means there will be 17" of wall on both sides of the screen. Should I hang dark colored / velvet drapes in the corners to cover up that 17" of wall? The screen will hang 7" away from a white textured ceiling. Will this have a big effect on picture quality?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Is putting the drapes to the left/right of the screen purely cosmetic or would they improve picture quality? My screen is pull down so it does not have a velvet border around it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the screen walls extending on either side of the screen. Darken them if you prefer the aesthetics. I would worry about the low, white ceiling. Darkening the ceiling for at least six feet out from the screen should improve your black level and contrast. The narrow viewing cone of the HP will reduce light scatter to the ceiling, but the effect is by no means complete. You should also darken the rear wall (behind the viewers), as the HP is most sensitive to light from that direction. And of course you want to position your PJ as close to viewer eye level as possible--usually just high enough to clear the heads of viewers seated in front of the PJ. For best screen brightness uniformity for off-axis viewers, the PJ also needs to be about as far from the screen as the viewers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/14236326

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the screen walls extending on either side of the screen. Darken them if you prefer the aesthetics. I would worry about the low, white ceiling. Darkening the ceiling for at least six feet out from the screen should improve your black level and contrast. The narrow viewing cone of the HP will reduce light scatter to the ceiling, but the effect is by no means complete. You should also darken the rear wall (behind the viewers), as the HP is most sensitive to light from that direction. And of course you want to position your PJ as close to viewer eye level as possible--usually just high enough to clear the heads of viewers seated in front of the PJ. For best screen brightness uniformity for off-axis viewers, the PJ also needs to be about as far from the screen as the viewers.

Any ideas on how to darken the ceiling besides using paint? The wall directly behind the seating area is covered with a giant credenza/hutch. It is made out of a dark wood and takes up pretty much the entire wall. There is only about 2-3 feet of visible wall on the top/left/right. Should I drape a blanket over this or is would it not be bad since it is dark?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If the back wall is mostly covered by the dark credenza, that should be OK. As to the ceiling, there is no absolute. Thirty inches would be better than nothing. Sixty inches would be better yet. Twelve feet would be even better. If cost is a concern, just drape some black fabric up there.

Light from the bright areas of the image on the screen will light up the white ceiling, which will then reflect the light back onto the dark areas of the screen. The net effect will be blacks that look dark gray instead of black. People vary in their sensitivity to this: some are not bothered much by it; others can't stand it. You can always start with little or no darkening on the ceiling. Then if the reflected light bothers you, you can add more darkening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have aquestion about the type of paint used, My wife and I decdided to go with a dark blue, I narrowed it down to 3 choices and she picked the final one, She began painting the doors in the room while i was at work the other day, and I notice they are a little reflective because she bought Semi-gloss. Is that going to be a problem on the parts of the walls around the projector, or the side walls?

Nick

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivelostr2 /forum/post/14424666

I have aquestion about the type of paint used, My wife and I decdided to go with a dark blue, I narrowed it down to 3 choices and she picked the final one, She began painting the doors in the room while i was at work the other day, and I notice they are a little reflective because she bought Semi-gloss. Is that going to be a problem on the parts of the walls around the projector, or the side walls?

Nick

If you use semi-gloss on the side walls, they will reflect light from the screen, which may be annoying when watching a movie. Flat won't have this effect.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
the issue of light walls and screens is that light reflects off the screen and bounces off the walls back to the screen. The question then becomes, would the back wall be part of the reflections and if so how much of a difference could it make

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/14235984

When using a Da-Lite high power screen, does the color of the wall directly behind the screen make a difference in picture quality? The walls are a beige/tan in color and are textured. The screen will be going on a 150" wide wall and the screen is 116" wide. This means there will be 17" of wall on both sides of the screen. Should I hang dark colored / velvet drapes in the corners to cover up that 17" of wall? The screen will hang 7" away from a white textured ceiling. Will this have a big effect on picture quality?

I would worry about the rear wall since the HP is a retroreflective screen it will be affected by light bouncing off the rear wall back to the screen. What color is the rear wall?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts