Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm just starting to look at Digital projectors to set up a home theater in my basement. The walls there are an off-white and a "little" textured and I was wondering if I was going to have to repaint. If so, what color and what type of paint?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you buy a manufactured screen or decide to take the DIY route (checkout the DIY Screen forum) you have a few options. For sure you want a black boarder around the screen. Not only this will give you a professional look, but it will help with perceived contrast, and if there is any light spill around the edges, it will soak that up. If you have white or light colored walls/ceiling, it can affect the picture on the screen because the light from the projector will reflect off of them. Many people don't have a choice in the matter. If at all possible try to use darker colors. I painted my back wall dark black and the side walls and ceiling a dark blue. The screen looks as if it is floating in space, to cool.

Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtekoth
Hi All,

I'm just starting to look at Digital projectors to set up a home theater in my basement. The walls there are an off-white and a "little" textured and I was wondering if I was going to have to repaint. If so, what color and what type of paint?

Any advice would be appreciated.
i got into the projectors world a few month ago... i got the 4805, and i was on the same place as you are now.

My first thought was.. how the walls could make my picture look worst? i didn`t pay attention to the advice and i bought the 4805.. when i play it on my white room... i was like..wow... they are right. I did like the picture but it was really evident how the white walls affect the picture quality,specially blacks!

When i turn the projector on it was like turning on a HUGE Lamp.. on bright screens the whole room turn on like someone turn on the light on.. this of course hurt the picture quality a lot.

My advice.. paint those walls for some darker color, i choosed dark chocolate.

I really notice the differnece and it payed off. My cousin who saw both and he didn`t know a lot of projector or PQ, said the change was significant.

SO yeah, it does matter.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I struggled with this for months, and finally decided to bite the bullet and paint. I hate painting.....

Now that it's done, I think it was the best decision I made. Mine is a very dark, flat green.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Another option for those of us renting or without dedicated rooms is the new DNP supernova screen. I am hoping and betting the farm that this new technology will allow the use of FP in rooms with white walls.

**fingers crossed**

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have used my X1 on a flat off white wall and it really worked very well but now I have a PLV-z3 and I have my settings so sweet I can get the blacks to look pure black and the picture is amazing. I see no reason to get a screen ever.... :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suade907
I have used my X1 on a flat off white wall and it really worked very well but now I have a PLV-z3 and I have my settings so sweet I can get the blacks to look pure black and the picture is amazing. I see no reason to get a screen ever.... :)

Man, a CRT would shock the hell out of you if you think the Z3 has great blacks. :D

Of course, unfortunately, you'd realize how far way from pure black the Z3 really is afterwards. If you want to know how far pause your DVD on a complete fade to black and put your hand in front of the lens and look at your hand's shadow on the "black" screen. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJack
I struggled with this for months, and finally decided to bite the bullet and paint. I hate painting.....

Now that it's done, I think it was the best decision I made. Mine is a very dark, flat green.
So, go with a flat instead of an eggshell enamel or a semi-gloss?

I'm surprised that a dark screen is better than a light one! Movie theaters don't go that route...

What about the other walls? Should they also be dark to keep the reflected light down?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't think he painted his screen area dark green ;-)

Yes, every wall in the room should be as dark as you (or the wife) can deal with. Light reflects off the screen (it has to or you wouldn't see a picture) and then reflects off the ceiling and other walls right back to the screen. This secondary light is just like turning a lamp on in the room and washes out the picture. It may not seem like it, but you can only notice the improvement if you paint. Since you want fewer reflections, the walls should be flat or no higher than eggshell. In fact, a gloss black might reflect more light than flat white (who knows?).

For all you renters out there... Just write and sign a letter stating that you will return the room to the original color before moving out or he may penalize your security deposit. What's the big deal?

Bobby

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Amtekoth: you asked about walls in general, ohers talked about the screen area of the wall. so what is the question? walls in the room or part of wall that you want to use as screen because you don't want to buy a screen?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Color of walls matter?
The color of the walls, ceiling, and floor matter much more than most of the performance differences agonized over on these pages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
Amtekoth: you asked about walls in general, ohers talked about the screen area of the wall. so what is the question? walls in the room or part of wall that you want to use as screen because you don't want to buy a screen?
I'm a total noob, so pardon me if I ask stoopid questions :confused: . I have no intention of buying a screen. A friend at work recently bought a digital projector and raved about the size of the image and the image clarity compared to his old TeeVee. I have room in my basement for a similar set-up and this seemed to be a way of getting a huge, clear image for a lot less than splurging on a very large plasma or LCD. I had no idea how expensive the high end projectors could get.

Anyway, for a wall-image the screen area should be painted...?

I've already gathered that the rest of the room should be painted flat/as dark as possible.

Thanks for the advice so far!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, for a wall-image the screen area should be painted...?
my guess is white and no texture, don't know anything else, I use a screen. You could check the screen section on this site. Even though I don't read that forum I know there is discussion on the subject of DIY screens

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi,

Check out the DIY screen section if you are going to paint a screen. Many use Behr Ultra Pure White in flat texture, from Home Depot and seem to be happy. That's the simplest. For more complexity, look for MMud. . .

Another solution for darker walls that noone has mentioned yet is curtains. My basement room isn't huge, so we are hanging dark velvet curtains on the sides and front wall. Doors are painted a very dark burgundy, and the ceiling is chocolate. The dark velvet curtains soak up *much* more ligh than a flat painted wall. They're like a black hole.

Once my room is done in the next couple of days, I'll have to work on some better auxiliary lighting, as the room is *so* dark now with a little light on that you almost can't see to walk!

Wes

ps the short answer is that painting or covering your walls and ceiling with dark colors will greatly enhance the perceived contrast of your projected image.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have black carpet, bottom 3rd of walls are black, rest is a dark red (including ceiling). My projected image does not even look projected it's so bright (blacks are great too).. I can even use dimmed sconces and notice no affect on my image. Definately paint if you can.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
wes: yes velvet curtains are the best for that, the only possible problem would be that they might deaden the sound too much

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.