Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a ATI component adapter for my Radeon 8500 and Sony 36" XBR. So I load the old catalyst divers off the disk they sent with it, set it all up, and reboot. Up comes the screen on my TV no prob, the resolution is all messed up but the colors are fine(In fact I was amazed at how good it looked and couldn't wait to get powerstrip going so I could fix the res.). So from here I load the latest catalyst drivers off the net and reboot. When it booted back up the colors were screwed up bad. You could barely see what to click on the screen, but I managed to make it viewable by cranking the contrast and color temp way down. The Problem is that it still looks like crap and i know from my first boot up with the old drivers that this is not right! Also a note: since then I have fixed the res. with powerstrip. So I am asking for any guidance you HTPC people could give a newbie on this subject.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the colors went as soon as I rebooted after updating catalyst. This was before I put powerstrip on my system. I was thinking about going back to the old drivers but from what I have read I think that would reduce or limit my functionallity. what do you think?

Kevin

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Are you sure that the first set of drivers you had installed truely initialized the ATI HDTV adapter? I have seen it look like it has but it really isnt turned on properly. Then when you reinstall and reboot it'll not work. I have a feeling you may not get it back, my boss had an older HDTV and it was really off on colors, the picture had an odd bend at the top only on one side though.......

Also what res are you using that is showing up odd? I have seen may reports of users not being able to use 1776x1000i and other resolutions with anything over cat 3.2

Try cat 3.2 and see if it helps :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too have had this problem...

I setup a new box this week with a Radeon 9600 and with both Cat 3.4 and 3.7 drivers had to crank my contrast in powerstrip all the way down to be able to do anything with the resulting image.

As I'm using a key digital transcoder with the 9600, I thought it might be the transcoder and swapped the 9600 out and dropped in an 8500 with the component adapter and it too had the exact same problem.

As a sanity check on my TV's inputs, I dropped in a Nvidia fx 5200 and through the transcoder, the contrast issue disappeared.

I'll give it a shot with the cat 3.2 drivers later this week and post back.

Any other thoughts as to what could be done on this would be appreciated. While cranking the contrast down to -300% in powerstrip makes the system workable, any app that mucks with these settings produces an image that's bound to destroy my rptv in short time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.