AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: Well, rather embarrassing confession here, the following thread is fairly pointless.

After further testing, I found that adjusting the saturation in the menu does not appear to change the iA color settings. However, after getting my HDMI cable, finally, I was quite happy with it, even indoors at night (though with all my lights on) No complaints at all once I got it on the TV (Have been using the computer prior to this update).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The optimal setting probably varies depending on the scene. For daylight you might want -5 for night time you might want +5, for indoors 0. I'm not exactly sure what that particular setting does for you, but it should be fairly easy to run some tests. Low light shooting is problematic, due to the lack of light, you don't have much color information to work with.

I found a batch plugin for gimp named batch-lab-colorboost and I'm finding it very handy. To the point of abandoning all forms of efficiency and processing my videos as images to be run through a modified version of said plugin (fewer parameters / simpler syntax). Slow as molases, but something about it makes the fuzz that is digital imagery get sharp-ish. Without having to do the usual scale to 25% to get that level of sharpness/detail.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard /forum/post/19636600

Most people complain that the colors seem "dull" or less saturated than might be desirable.

Any recommendations?

Who are the "most people" you speak to?

Japanese tend to prefer saturated (fantasy) colours. Fujifilm was always more saturated than Kodak - and some Americans tend to like saturation too. Ektachrome was more saturated than Kodachrome. I won't venture into other cultural stereotypes (eg. Indians). Deserts are a good measure of cultural affinity for saturation.

IMHO, like waffles and deserts, saturation feels good at first - and then it doesn't. Too sweet.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 /forum/post/19644168

Who are the "most people" you speak to?

Japanese tend to prefer saturated (fantasy) colours. Fujifilm was always more saturated than Kodak - and some Americans tend to like saturation too. Ektachrome was more saturated than Kodachrome. I won't venture into other cultural stereotypes (eg. Indians). Deserts are a good measure of cultural affinity for saturation.

IMHO, like waffles and deserts, saturation feels good at first - and then it doesn't. Too sweet.

"Most people" include German review sites, Austrian review sites, American review sites and Japanese review sites (in terms of their equivalent sensor/lens/body models, some specifics are different between the models). Perhaps I should have called them "most review sites around the world that I have found that provide some documentation of at least attempting a scientific analysis and comparison of video footage." (and some of those comparisons were fairly striking). However, despite this issue, all the sites I can recall rated their respective models higher than the other models I was considering.

In addition, numerous users comment on the need to edit the colors, though, to be sure, the average user is overwhelmingly pleased with the various models that would be considered fair comparisons to the SDX1.

Finally, I cant leave without saying, I know a bit about Japan and Japanese. They certainly prefer fantasy colors in their anime and actual fantasy genre films, but that is simply not the case when talking about realistic fiction, historical fiction, normal television viewing (except when they insert animation of course) or home videos...in my experience. At least, not significantly more exaggerated than the rest of the world.

And I believe that there are several other notable Japanese brands out there.....

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I suppose that one could always read the manual

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...DCSDX1-MUL.PDF

Page 34 for white balance (not sure if this is what you're referencing).

1) The effective range of Automatic white

balance adjustment on this unit

2) Blue sky

3) Cloudy sky (rain)

4) Sunlight

5) White fluorescent lamp

6) Halogen light bulb

7) Incandescent light bulb

8) Sunrise or sunset

9) Candlelight

Page 62 has info on cinema color.

Page 65 for info on your basic white balance and related settings.

Page 71 for white balance specifics

Otherwise I didn't see a -5 to +5 page for color. Many camcorders have a cine mode for the cinema color thing. But it's generally ON or OFF.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real issue here is wanting to set it and leave it before giving it to my wife, and not being able to really test it out with my wife always around. I mean, I don't want to set it on +5 and have it at a saturation level of some 95%, but maybe it operates on a 1% increase per point? I didn't know if such settings were common in camcorders...if you dont know, then thats ok.

Of course I read the manual though, it is page 65,

"[COLOR]: Depth of the color of the image"

You have to enter it through manual mode, but when you go into the actual setting you are presented with a -5 through +5 option that changes the iA mode color depth (which, right or wrong, is what I was referring to as saturation).

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard /forum/post/0

The real issue here is wanting to set it and leave it before giving it to my wife, and not being able to really test it out with my wife always around. I mean, I don't want to set it on +5 and have it at a saturation level of some 95%, but maybe it operates on a 1% increase per point? I didn't know if such settings were common in camcorders...if you dont know, then thats ok.

Of course I read the manual though, it is page 65,

": Depth of the color of the image"

You have to enter it through manual mode, but when you go into the actual setting you are presented with a -5 through +5 option that changes the iA mode color depth (which, right or wrong, is what I was referring to as saturation).

Logically, 0 would be neutral ( normal), +5 would boost color saturation and -5 would cut it down, possibly?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is how I understand it, and that is what I observed when taking a few test shots. It is just that at the moment I don't have much money, and so my tv is not calibrated, it only outputs 720p, and it is a plasma...so the colors are pretty exaggerated as is. However, I would like to film in optimum settings.

I am worried that if I just try to eyeball it, I will actually be recording in significantly oversaturated colors, and in the future will regret having changed the settings. Does that make sense?

Several sites have comented on the colors being somewhat undersaturated. Camcorderinfo.com rated it at approx. 85% saturation. though I don't fully know how to translate that into anything meaningful. Many higher quality camcorders seem to rate at about 90% (again, not fully understood, just what I have observed from that site). I would like to approach what most people seem to consider the ideal range (after all, who wants to look back at their videos and think they look dull?), but don't want to just run it up all the way to +5 and pretend like I know what I am doing.....

For video where I am going to play around with editing this doesn't matter, but for my memories and family vids, I think its relevant.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard /forum/post/19645492

....I am worried that if I just try to eyeball it, I will actually be recording in significantly oversaturated colors, and in the future will regret having changed the settings. Does that make sense?....

I would suggest leaving it at 0. You can always adjust it to your taste later upon playback, be it on a TV with the color saturation adjustment on it, or in post production while editing on a computer with software.

One thing to note is, it's better to have to cut down color saturation after recording, rather than trying to boost color information later on. Doing so would inevitably rise the chroma noise level also.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard
EDIT: Well, rather embarrassing confession here, the following thread is fairly pointless.

After further testing, I found that adjusting the saturation in the menu does not appear to change the iA color settings. However, after getting my HDMI cable, finally, I was quite happy with it, even indoors at night (though with all my lights on) No complaints at all once I got it on the TV (Have been using the computer prior to this update).
We didn't tell you that this color adjustment was only for Manual Mode? Oh well. As long as you're "quite happy with it", THAT'S the most important thing!

Nothing to be embarrassed about! Forums are there to ask about things, even if we find them out by ourselves sometimes! LOL.

Asking questions is what leads to wisdom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts