AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My projector is got a problem as the color is not uniform from left to right on the screen. It is getting worse by the day. I have contacted the manufacturer and they are sitting on the fence as to the problem without looking at it.

I am wondering if it is the lamp or projector causing the issue. The lamp has 1600 hours on it.

Has this happened to anyone and which was it. I don't want to send it in if it just the lamp.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Nope, that will not be a lamp issue. There is no way the lamp can give you uneven color. Why? Because for one thing, the light is unfocused at that point. Only when it goes through the optics is it directed and focused and MIXED. Second, the lamp is not capable of producing different shades of color across the field. It puts out uniform light.

The projector has a problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 /forum/post/18235083

My projector is got a problem as the color is not uniform from left to right on the screen. It is getting worse by the day. I have contacted the manufacturer and they are sitting on the fence as to the problem without looking at it.

I am wondering if it is the lamp or projector causing the issue. The lamp has 1600 hours on it.

Has this happened to anyone and which was it. I don't want to send it in if it just the lamp.

Thanks

Hi Kiwi. You did not say what brand & model is your PJ. LCD or DLP? Could you post a picture of the problem? On a white field, do you see the screen reddish on one side and bluish on the other? LCD: bad convergence, burned or dirty polarizers could cause this. I do not think this is a lamp problem, but, depending of the PJ and the use (1600 on high? to many on-off cycles? etc.), it coud be very dim by now, and now you are seeing more the problem than before when it was very bright.

Fernando

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
On a white field, do you see the screen reddish on one side and bluish on the other?

Yes my friend that is the problem exactly. It is LCD.

1600 hours on low. Never more than once per day on/off

I will send it in, maybe get a replacement!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What odds do members put on the manufacturer being able to repair the color unformity issue? I think that means the panel is ruined.

I have had 3 different projectors from three manufacturers over the last 5 years and all have sucummed to this problem, some sooner than later.

My bet and hope is that they will replace rather than repair.

Odd, my previous display a SONY KP 5020 front projector would last 25 years plus and these boxes average 1 year each.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

I had a similar problem develop towards the end of the life of an Infocus SP5000 (LCD).

I also see the same issue on a brand new Mitsubishi HC3800 (DLP) I unboxed last week.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I gather the issue is somewhat widespread on the HC3800s.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just heard from the manufacturer on the repair for my color uniformity issue. They state it is the "lamp assembly" that requires replacement. I have no idea what this part is but is it possible that this will correct the issue I am having where on side of the screen is blue ish and the otehr side is reddish?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
What make and model again? Lamp assembly could mean a lot of things.

Generally with LCD this is can be a polarizer issue, the polarizers could be in what could be called the "lamp assembly" I suppose. Depending on actual design.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Who's the manufacturer? That sounds like BS to me. It's a problem with the optical block, but it sounds like they're pushing you to buy a new lamp.

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhite4777 /forum/post/18263348

I had a similar problem develop towards the end of the life of an Infocus SP5000 (LCD).

I also see the same issue on a brand new Mitsubishi HC3800 (DLP) I unboxed last week.

Based on anecdotal evidence, I gather the issue is somewhat widespread on the HC3800s.

You would be correct, it is widespread on the 3800s. And, according to Mitsubishi's Engineering Manager at the CA repair facility, "It is not a malfunction, but completely normal with that model line."

However, on the 3800, it seems to get better (clear up a bit) with time on the bulb rather than worse.

Search the 3800 thread and you will see pics and several posts about this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its a very common problem with all LCDs. In fact I suspect that almost all of them suffer from the problem. Fortunately it only really shows up grossly in B&W movies and when you try to calibrate the machine.

I will not buy an LCD again because of this problem.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sheriden 1952 wrote

Quote:
Nope, that will not be a lamp issue. There is no way the lamp can give you uneven color. Why? Because for one thing, the light is unfocused at that point. Only when it goes through the optics is it directed and focused and MIXED. Second, the lamp is not capable of producing different shades of color across the field. It puts out uniform light.

The projector has a problem.

I have googled the part number sanyo are saying is the lamp assembly and all it is is a replacement lamp. You have stated this cannot be the case for the reasons outlined above.

6103235998 LAMP ASSY F/PLVZ4 1 $450.00

The projector is sanyo z4 and it was fine with perfect color up until very recently.

Now what?

·
Registered
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 /forum/post/18304135

sheriden 1952 wrote

I have googled the part number sanyo are saying is the lamp assembly and all it is is a replacement lamp. You have stated this cannot be the case for the reasons outlined above.

6103235998 LAMP ASSY F/PLVZ4 1 $450.00

The projector is sanyo z4 and it was fine with perfect color up until very recently.

Now what?

Well, they are saying over on the Mitsubishi HC3800 DLP projector thread that the 3800's color uniformity issue IS from the bulb and that with time on the bulb (200+ hours) the problem will fade for the most part. AND, I have seen this for myself. My 3800, which is DLP and NOT LCD, arrived with really bad color uniformity with the screen looking reddish to white to bluish across the screen. After about 200 hours on the thing, though, it had faded away greatly. Guys over there on that thread who have seen this on their own DLPs have said that color uniformity on DLPs often settles or fades with time on the lamp.

Did you know that it has been estimated that over 95% off information on the web is incorrect? Of course, that estimate was found on the web.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Consider that in a DLP projector, the light from the lamp must pass through the color wheel and then a light tunnel before it enters the imaging chamber. It is not possible for any variation in color uniformity to pass though unaffected. The light is bounced around inside the tight tunnel as it passes through. Any variations (however unlikely) are evened out across the image field.

In an LCD projector, there is a diffuser immediately after the lamp, then the light passes through multiple splitters to separate the light into 3 paths, then bounces about with some mirrors, then the light is directed through polarizers, then the LCD panels and finally into the prism, where all three light paths are recombined and directed out the lens.

I understand that other people have reported this issue, I just don't see how it's possible.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dlp and lcd are like apples and oranges and thier differences are not the subject of this thread.

My problem is that my lcd projector started to exhibit a color problem. It did not have the problem when new nor in the second or third year of operation.

It has nothing to do with dlp as this is a separate technology.

Thei issue is whether it is simpy a lamp issue as sanyo suggests or is it a projector issue. Also what can be done about it?

I am sending a letter to sanyo repair to try to ascertain if they actually tried the replacement lamp to correct the problem or are they merely suggesting this as a possible fix.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You're correct, I missed that part. However, someone DID mention DLP projectors in this thread. However, I did edit my reply to properly address your question.

But my opinion remains unchanged. As I said, I don't see how it's possible in EITHER technology because of the optical path designs in each.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 /forum/post/18304888

You're correct, I missed that part. However, someone DID mention DLP projectors in this thread. However, I did edit my reply to properly address your question.

But my opinion remains unchanged. As I said, I don't see how it's possible in EITHER technology because of the optical path designs in each.

+1.

LCD non uniformity causes (my take):

Bad convergence and/or

burned polarizers and/or

dirty internal optics/polarizers/LCDs.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ferbal wrote

Quote:
LCD non uniformity causes (my take)

Such as?

you also wrote

Quote:
Bad convergence and/or

burned polarizers and/or

dirty internal optics/polarizers/LCDs.

The repair depot is stating it is simply the lamp that needs replacement, no other adjustment or anything else required. What can I do or say to rebuff this?

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

My Panny ae700 developed this issue overnight after about 3 years of use, the screen was became red on one side and blue on the oher. Believe it or not I was able to correct the problem by going into the service menu and selecting the option that allows you to cycle manually through different solid colours. I did this for about 5-10 minutes, and the problem improved drastically. Did it again and the problem went away. I posted this solution a year or so back and it seemed to solve the problem for somebody else too. Give it a try, it won't cost you anything

1 - 20 of 37 Posts