AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seeing a line of colored pixels at the top of some Fox network programming? Please note that this is not the same as the stretched bit at the top of 4:3 content, or the VBI data at the top of upconverts. I first noticed this on the second segment of 24 on 5/14, and have been seeing it on some network HD and SD ads on Fox since then. It is never there when the splicer is running from the local side, which leads me to believe that this is something going on at the network end. Station is KSAZ-DT Phoenix via Cox cable, with a QAM tuner. No issues with any other channels, and this is visibile on various different decoders. I have included some screenshots of this.

24 from 5/14:

Commercial during Bones on 5/16:

Commercials from tonight, 5/20:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I just watched tonight's Simpsons and didn't see it -- however, my display has a bit of overscan. I played it again through a monitor that has underscan, and yes, it's there. As you say though, not on everything -- just pops up on random items. Weird. Almost looks like some kind of data, though if that was the case, I'd think it would there all the time.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz /forum/post/0

Has anyone else seeing a line of colored pixels at the top of some Fox network programming? Please note that this is not the same as the stretched bit at the top of 4:3 content, or the VBI data at the top of upconverts. http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5739/ksazcolors4qp9.th.jpg[/IMG][/url ]

The late Cliff Watson stated that this is indeed VBI data , I believe if I recall correctly closed captioning.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Closed captioning allows deaf people to watch the programs along with the dumb people.

It looks like its on the first active line of video, which is line 26? The upconverted captions are also on this line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts