AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SDTV CRT and my screen, at the moment, has a very noticable purple tint all throughout. It's not in a certain spot, it simply has taken over where the black should be. Here's the thing: It was a green tint when I first got it, however, I went into the service menu and managed to scale back the green(still noticable at times, although it seems all of my tvs have too much green) but I am completely unable to get pure black.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHigh /forum/post/14316127

I have a SDTV CRT and my screen, at the moment, has a very noticable purple tint all throughout. It's not in a certain spot, it simply has taken over where the black should be. Here's the thing: It was a green tint when I first got it, however, I went into the service menu and managed to scale back the green(still noticable at times, although it seems all of my tvs have too much green) but I am completely unable to get pure black.

Any ideas?

By scaling back the green, what service-menu control did you use?

Did the control label contain "bias/offset" or "gain/drive"? Or just "green" or "red"?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Change the landing setting. If that's not the case then it's either a magnet interferance or

the tube itself. It's very common on any CRT to have colored "blob/haze" on the picture.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/14316248

Did the control label contain "bias/offset" or "gain/drive"? Or just "green" or "red"?

Thats what i was going to ask. Since it not just a "blob" in one spot it sounds like a grayscale issue, and OP probably adjusted the green cut/drive, that or the tube itself can be on it's way out. Thats what happened to all my old crts as the tube started going, all the colors got tinted looking though, not just blacks. Ultimatehigh, did you buy the set used? or do you buy it new and it was already out of whack from the getgo? Look around on here and other places and see if you can come across that sets default service settings for the cuts/drives. Even though every set has different settings , it should look better than the green/purple tinted blacks. Greyscale is one of the few things in service menu that i would never try to tweak by eye and without the proper test equipment. Plus i'm not even sure thats what your problem is, and i wouldn't want you to mess that up when it could be something else. Also if you don't want to go through the trouble yourself see about getting it repaired professionally if you are worried about messing it up anymore. All depends on how much you care about the set and how long you plan on keeping it. You might have better luck posting about this on the "display calibration" section of this forum, where seem of the professional calibrators can help you.

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon /forum/post/14321159

Thats what i was going to ask. Since it not just a "blob" in one spot it sounds like a grayscale issue, and OP probably adjusted the green cut/drive, that or the tube itself can be on it's way out. Thats what happened to all my old crts as the tube started going, all the colors got tinted looking though, not just blacks. Ultimatehigh, did you buy the set used? or do you buy it new and it was already out of whack from the getgo? Look around on here and other places and see if you can come across that sets default service settings for the cuts/drives. Even though every set has different settings , it should look better than the green/purple tinted blacks. Greyscale is one of the few things in service menu that i would never try to tweak by eye and without the proper test equipment. Plus i'm not even sure thats what your problem is, and i wouldn't want you to mess that up when it could be something else. Also if you don't want to go through the trouble yourself see about getting it repaired professionally if you are worried about messing it up anymore. All depends on how much you care about the set and how long you plan on keeping it. You might have better luck posting about this on the "display calibration" section of this forum, where seem of the professional calibrators can help you.

And as a reminder to the original poster: Bias/cutoff and Drive/gain are to be set when viewing gray patterns. They are not for adjusting Color or Tint controls.

Bias controls the mid- down to darkest grays, and Drive is for upper-mid to whites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/14316248

In the service menu there's: Green, Red and Blue Bias, Red and Blue drive and also CR PED and CB PED.

I've messed with all of them but can never get simply black without like turning brightness way down. I also bought the set new a couple years ago and it had this problem(huge green push). I sent it away for fixing but I got it back in the same condition. I would get it repaired professionaly but I would rather just save up the money and get an HDTV instead. I would like to attempt and fix this problem, even if a little, by "myself".

There's something odd that I noticed though. It seems that every single set in my house has a green push in it. 1 is really bad like that, another isn't that noticeable but it's definitely there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts