AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have Colorfacts Professional 6.0, have you ever had your dongle come up blinking ?

Tech said that the dongles memory was lost, and its been 5 days since the last response.

Have other users had this type of bad customer service ?

And if so, any other similar programs on the market ?

This will be the last purchase I make with Colorfacts, it has been pure frustration dealing with these folks.

I had this problem once before and the solution was to email me a licensing file, which worked up until last week due to the file expiring.

The program is wonderful when it works, unfortunately, customer service has been horrendous.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets /forum/post/0

For those that have Colorfacts Professional 6.0, have you ever had your dongle come up blinking ?

Tech said that the dongles memory was lost, and its been 5 days since the last response.

Have other users had this type of bad customer service ?

And if so, any other similar programs on the market ?

This will be the last purchase I make with Colorfacts, it has been pure frustration dealing with these folks.

I had this problem once before and the solution was to email me a licensing file, which worked up until last week due to the file expiring.

The program is wonderful when it works, unfortunately, customer service has been horrendous.

Any suggestions ?

Don't even get me started at the incredibly poor support from Colorfacts, or their attitudes for dealing with problems. I've literally had the creater of the program to tell me to take a hike...when I was reporting bugs and asking if there were any workarounds. I've even saved the emails...because they were so astonishing.

So I'm not at all surprised how bad your experiences have been. I'll bet the cost of the program -- that mine have been even worse. And at a $2400 cost of the program, let's just say that I'm pretty confident in what I'm saying.

I find it so amazing that a program of this high cost, has so many, MANY bugs in it -- all of which make one part of this program, or another -- completely unusable...then coupled with a complete lack of willing to even help you when you find a problem.

Gool luck...you'll need it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
hi guys

Robbyrockets, please email me your concerns and issues, and it will be resolved within 24 hours.

Please note the Datacolor / ColorFacts only offers support for the product to be used as intended, and does not support modification of its source code for other applications.

Also please note, that for products purchased from LionAV, that LionAV Inc personally provides level 3 tech support for it (assuming that the purchaser has some taken some level of training).

Happy tweeking

Gregg
[email protected]
[email protected]

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/0

hi guys

Robbyrockets, please email me your concerns and issues, and it will be resolved within 24 hours.

Man, I wish you had given me that offer when I contacted you for help last year. Maybe I wouldn't be as frustrated. Does your offer stand for me too? I'll send you my list tomorrow morning if it does.

Quote:
Please note the Datacolor / ColorFacts only offers support for the product to be used as intended, and does not support modification of its source code for other applications.

What the heck does that mean? Are you suggesting this guy is using the program in an illegitimate way, or is somehow reverse engineering it for use to create a competitive product? Why would you need such a disclaimer in this thread?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Gregg is clarifying that Datacolor's support policy is to support our products "as written" and "as delivered".

In other words, we ensure that you can use the product, and that it's featured performance works as designed.

Since ColorFacts is a powerful colorimetric and mathematical "engine" as well as a calibration tool for professionals, there IS an entire scripting language (VBA) built right in. This is for your convenience. Although the scripting FUNCTIONALITY is supported, assistance in WRITING custom macros is not considered "support".

It's considered "consulting".

Adding functionality to the product that was not present at the time of purchase (including macros) is NOT support. I can't think of a single software company where writing code (or assisting customers in writing code) is considered support. Even companies who CREATE software development systems don't assist customers who are writing code with free support.

If having the macro feature in the product is a problem, it would be very easy to remove it. No competing product has such a capability, and even without this feature ColorFacts would be the most feature-rich product in its category.

However, we would prefer to leave that feature in the product. Just please understand that assistance in extending the feature set of the product is not part of our standard support.

We would be happy to assist you with our internal development resources if you need to schedule a block of consulting.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hunter /forum/post/0

Gregg is clarifying that Datacolor's support policy is to support our products "as written" and "as delivered".

In other words, we ensure that you can use the product, and that it's featured performance works as designed.

Since ColorFacts is a powerful colorimetric and mathematical "engine" as well as a calibration tool for professionals, there IS an entire scripting language (VBA) built right in. This is for your convenience. Although the scripting FUNCTIONALITY is supported, assistance in WRITING custom macros is not considered "support".

It's considered "consulting".

Adding functionality to the product that was not present at the time of purchase (including macros) is NOT support. I can't think of a single software company where writing code (or assisting customers in writing code) is considered support. Even companies who CREATE software development systems don't assist customers who are writing code with free support.

If having the macro feature in the product is a problem, it would be very easy to remove it. No competing product has such a capability, and even without this feature ColorFacts would be the most feature-rich product in its category.

However, we would prefer to leave that feature in the product. Just please understand that assistance in extending the feature set of the product is not part of our standard support.

We would be happy to assist you with our internal development resources if you need to schedule a block of consulting.

Sincerely,

Unfortunately to the lay-reader, it's not apparent from Gregg and Mark's responses that they are atually talking to me without telling YOU so. I know they're talking to me; they know they're talking to me; but they're not saying they're talking to me. I knew this from Gregg's first response, and that's why I asked Gregg to clarify what he was saying.

As you could expect, Mark's view of the world and my view of the world are two completely different things. Mark believes I was asking for help writing macros, when in fact, I wasn't. I'm a very well accomplished (and fairly well known) software and firmware designer.

I was finding bug after bug after bug in the macro interface routines, and emailing Datacolor for an explanation of what the expected outcome should be. To Mark's credit, he pointed me to the documentation of the VBA routines and said they were, by definition, the output I should expect. Unfortunately the output didn't match the specifications. The output of the routines wasn't what the VBA was reporting them to be -- and that's why I was asking for help -- for clarification, for an explanation. The quest seemed simple.

Not only did I find bugs in the VBA interface, but I found and reported bugs in the main product as well -- bugs that anybody could encounter. Datacolor promised to fix those bugs and give me an update by the end of that week. Now more than one year has passed, and I'm still waiting. Subsequently, I found a few more bugs in the main program -- all of which were reported to Datacolor.

Mark eventually seemed to think I should PAY to get Datacolor to answer whether or not I found a bug...and I didn't think I should pay. After all, I was doing all the work isolating the problem, telling them how to reproduce it, giving them the code to reproduce it -- with the goal of helping them make a better product. They didn't care. They did promise to give me responses, and that's when I began waiting. I was patient, waiting through Mark's tax season, then Mark's vacations, then Mark's post-vacations, and Mark's other product schedules. This fiasco literally went on for months. When every milestone came and went, so did another broken promise to respond.

Eventually my frustration became so high, that I was offered a full refund of my money. I refused to accept the refund because I wanted the product fixed, and if it wasn't, I also wanted the right to complain about the product. Without being an owner, I didn't feel like I had that right to complain any longer.

I understand why any company would not want to help idiot users and people who are into a project over their heads -- and may want to charge consulting fees for that purpose. As a software developer, I fully support these types of policies. But quoting Mark above, he says: "Although the scripting FUNCTIONALITY is supported, assistance in WRITING custom macros is not considered "support"." And that's the real problem -- the functionality is not supported either. I was reporting bugs in the functionality of the scripting interface -- even sometimes crashes and data corruption -- not asking for help writing source code.

The notion I was not using their product in its intended way, was modifying its source code, or reverse-engineering it was, and is completely ludicrous. I found two or three bugs in the main program, and reported them. I found numerous other bugs in the scripting language interface; bugs that would cause incorrect results, data corruption, and program crashes. If this interface is included in the product, documented with the product, and (according to Mark above) also supported by the company, then one would expect to get bug reports taken seriously, and promises for responses to be met without months of runaround and suggestions that a user should pay for the privilege of helping them find, reproduce, and fix their own bugs in their flagship $2500 program.

Doesn't sound like too much to ask...to me. But then again, I only write software for a living, and run my own departments this way. Why should I expect the same thing out of Datacolor? I guess that really is expecting too much.

I'll give you the lask word Mark (if you want)...I've said all I want to say. I will only respond again, if there seems to be a need to drag out excerpts from our email threads.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pencils, I'm curious as to what bugs youve found, and what effect each has on the program ?

Do any of the bugs have anything to do with poor readings below 30 IRE ?

Dont mean to keep this going but customer satisfaction should be what drives development and product improvement.

Up until Gregg stepped up to bat, support has been horrendous, a year later and the company decides that replacing my dongle was in fact the right thing to do.

Poor customer service CAN bring down even the finest product line.

Colorfacts should be giddy with delight that there customer base is willing to beta test there products. And recommend improvements at that.

When the product worked I was very satisfied, but as with anything in life there is always room for improvement.

For instance I could have purchased AccuCals software and an Eye One Pro for about the same money, and gotten far better readings at 30IRE and under, the Spyder2 really does a terrible job with the lower end of the grayscale, why they switched from the Eye One to the Spyder is beyond me, from all the forums I've been to the Spyder doesnt get alot of respect.

If my problems are finally solved after a year of waiting I'll have Gregg to thank for that.

Heres hoping this issue finally gets solved once and for all.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyrockets /forum/post/0

Pencils, I'm curious as to what bugs youve found, and what effect each has on the program ?

Do any of the bugs have anything to do with poor readings below 30 IRE ?

Dont mean to keep this going but customer satisfaction should be what drives development and product improvement.

Up until Gregg stepped up to bat, support has been horrendous, a year later and the company decides that replacing my dongle was in fact the right thing to do.

Poor customer service CAN bring down even the finest product line.

Colorfacts should be giddy with delight that there customer base is willing to beta test there products. And recommend improvements at that.

When the product worked I was very satisfied, but as with anything in life there is always room for improvement.

For instance I could have purchased AccuCals software and an Eye One Pro for about the same money, and gotten far better readings at 30IRE and under, the Spyder2 really does a terrible job with the lower end of the grayscale, why they switched from the Eye One to the Spyder is beyond me, from all the forums I've been to the Spyder doesnt get alot of respect.

If my problems are finally solved after a year of waiting I'll have Gregg to thank for that.

Heres hoping this issue finally gets solved once and for all.

I really don't want to drag this out either. I only wanted to respond in the first place, because I knew they were talking about me, without having the guts to say it directly. You'll notice I haven't really aired this publicly before, and I really don't want to keep it going. Instead, I purchased a much more expensive competitor's product, and have been using it ever since without any problems whatsoever. ColorFacts just sits on my computer...doing absolutely nothing...except waiting for my long-ago-promised update.
If future threads come up about ColorFacts Pro, I would simply refer to this thread instead of rehashing it all over again.

I did experience data reading problems below IRE-30, but those weren't the problems I was complaining about. I had a feeling the Spyder was the culprit -- as I watched the consecutive readings vary 30% or more. I never even complained about that -- because I didn't think it was the software at fault; but was the Spyder sensor. I figured the real solution was to buy a real sensor -- not the toy sensor that ships with their flagship product (never mind that this product costs $2500 and ships with a useless sensor).

Here's the problems I recall (only as they relate to the main program, not all of the problems I encountered in the macro interface):

First, my dongle didn't work...but that seemed easy to get solved. They were very helpful there.

The first real bug I encountered in the main program, concerned that customer reports -- really just an aesthetic thing -- not a real show-stopper (in my opinion). If you increase the number IRE readings from the default (10) up to -- say 65 -- then the customer reports are completely hosed.

I also found problems in the main program with the RGB results. As I recall, if you read a grayscale image, and report the results in RGB values, there was something wrong with blue -- I think it was stuck at 255 no matter what level you were reading. (I'm responding without looking at my prior emails...but I'm pretty sure that's it.)

I also had a problem getting the main program to work with the Sencore VP403 signal generator -- even though support is built in. It's funny, once again, I was writing macro code to prove to them how it didn't work -- because they didn't seem to believe me. I was just trying to get it to work in the main program -- and writing the macro code to prove to them how the main program was screwed up. Personally, I think every time I sent them a macro source code, their eyes glazed over, and they just blew it off. I think this eventually took more than a week of going back and forth to get this solved. Funny how it was the office help -- who ended up helping me -- not any of the support staff. The problem was evenually solved when they sent me a registry hack to enable the Sencore VP403 functionality. It's beyond me why the product didn't work in the first place, or why I had to write macro code in a vein attempt to prove to them that it didn't work. I guess it was just endemic of the way things operate over there...first deny that a problem exists, wait until the customer is really pissed, then clean up the mess by actually solving the problem...and don't bother to apologize for wasting 30+ hours of the customer's time when you could have solved it in 15 minutes of simply paying attention...in the first place.

I also seem to recall that I found one other functional bug in the main program, but my memory is even more vague without looking it up...so I won't bother to speculate what I think it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.