Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_up...ftware-med.jpg

Dilard and Colorfacts Introductions>

After several months of engineering, dozens of business meetings and reams of code, I am pleased to announce the imminent availability of Colorfacts and the long awaited Dilard Calibration Wizard!

The delay was due to the fact that we were unwilling to make any compromises in the quality of the final products. In case you are not familiar with these two titles, here is a brief overview:

Colorfactss>

Colorfacts is a display device analysis system that uses a highly accurate proprietary colorimeter that we helped perfect specifically for home theater and digital cinema use. Colorfacts allows you to analyze and perfect your video display device for peak performance.

http://www.avsforum.com/special/index.5.jpg

Dilards>

Dilard is an application for automating, modifying and calibrating D-ILA projectors. The new pending 2.2 release finally adds the 'calibrating' component to this claim by including the Pre-calibration and Calibration Wizards. Both of the new Wizards require colorimetric support, and use the proprietary colorimeter mentioned above. This is the least expensive colorimeter that we plan to support.

The Dilard 2.2 Calibration Wizard is a completely automated calibration of the entire projector that you can perform in your own home using a computer and the specified colorimeter. The Wizard will correct the black level, peak white, contrast, brightness, red gain, blue gain, green gain, tint, gamma (luminance output characteristics) and gray scale linearity to D65 throughout the entire visible spectrum. Exposed parameters with appropriate defaults allow you to customize the calibration to your viewing environment (for instance, trading brightness for black level).

The process is completely automated, so you will not need to baby-sit the Wizard once you have started it. An entire calibration takes approximately 9 to 11 minutes to complete.

http://www.avsforum.com/special/index.1.jpg

Pre-Order Offers>

As many of you know, Alan Gouger and Tom Strade have formed a new company called Immersive, Inc., and Milori is a supplier of software to their product line.

AVScience has agreed to offer a pre-order of these software titles, where you will have the opportunity to purchase the software at a discount if you agree to order before the glowing reviews come rolling in http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

They are taking pre-buy orders through CEDIA and expect both products to ship no later than October 22, 2001.

In addition, several people from the pre-order list will be selected and asked to participate the the Beta program which will start immediately.

Pricings>

Current Dilard Customers (with a verifiable purchase on or before August 31, 2001) have three choices:

1. Download your free software upgrade to the 2.2 release when it becomes available. You will receive upgrades to many parts of the suite, but will not be able to perform a calibration without the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter. The Calibration Wizard will not work with any other colorimeter.

2. Purchase the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter for $325 and receive the Dilard 2.2 full version on CD. The Optimageryâ„¢ colorimeter comes with a special tripod mount and lens specifically designed for front projection home theater and digital cinema applications. The price for this colorimeter with tripod mount after CEDIA will be $375 and will only be available until our first batch of colorimeters runs out.

3. As an existing Dilard customer you can also buy the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and the Colorfacts product for $895. After CEDIA the price for Colorfacts will be $1,595 retail.

New Customers (purchasing on or after September 1, 2001) have the following pre-order pricing options:

1. Purchase Dilard with the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and tripod mount for $750. The price after CEDIA will be $850.

2. Purchase Colorfacts with the Optimageryâ„¢ Colorimeter and tripod mount for $995. The price after CEDIA will be $1,595.

3. Purchase Dilard and Colorfacts together for $1,495. The price for this combo after CEDIA will be $1,995.

Ordering / Questionss>

Please click here if you wish to place an on-line pre-order for any of the above or contact AV Science at (716) 454-1460 with questions. AVScience has a list of existing Dilard customers to verify Dilard purchases prior to September 1.

Thanks!

Mark

[This message has been edited by Tom Strade (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm interested in your colorfacts product, but I don't see many details here or on the pre-order page. How's it compare with the VA-1 sold by AVS and the Sencore model?

------------------

...joe

·
Registered
707 Posts
joewmaki,

Although Colorfacts is not yet released it has many features that are very similar to both the VA-1 as well as the Sencore products. The key feature of the VA-1 is that it has "Cal Files" which are provided by the manufacturer defining the colorspace of non-CRT based displays. This feature allows one to accurately assess the light from an LCD, DLP, or Plasma display and calibrate them. Without this feature other tristimulus analyzers are capable of only CRT based display measurements. The VA-1 and Sencore use a sensor which has verified low light sensitivity capability and has been utilized by thousands of customers worldwide. This allows them to be used for video projector applications which require much higher sensitivity than that of computer monitor ICC profiling designed sensors.

[This message has been edited by ghibliss (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
Because of mark hunters temporary absence i will respond.

About half of what cliff (ghibliss) says is correct and

the other half does not apply.

The sequel sensor that cliff sells is a tri-stimulus sensor

and requires cal files to make the numbers come out right.

However the cal files really work correctly at one luminance

value. And i can prove it with graphs of his sensor

compared to standard instruments.

The sensor we use has 8 sensors in it driven from a

stepped diffraction grating. The filter curves are much

sharper, consistent over temperature and about 3db more

sensitive. Because of this the sensor is much more accurate

over a wider range of display devices. In addition it

is more sensitive. It does not need a cal file.

If we are going to turn this into a my sensor is better

than your sensor war, i will be happy to supply recently

generated graphs from an agilent 8453 that more than

prove the point. A diffraction grating beats colored gels

any day of the week.

As far as the software itself is concerned those who have

the colorfacts beta can attest to the fact that colorfacts

is lightyears ahead of colormeter in form, function and

useability. colorfacts also supports numerous other sensors

should you chose to use them instead.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I really don't want to this thread to degenerate into a pissing match. Lets save any type of shoot out for some less biased folks, shall we? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

There is plenty of interest by well respected people in the industry that have reference grade equipment and can make qualified and quantifiable comparisons - several in which already have the sofware and are helping to make it better.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
287 Posts
Colorfacts can be used with crt projection displays?

If so, why would this thread be moved? Who is Tom Strade?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Formerly tommboy2. Since I'm now in business with Alan it seemed the right thing to do was to use my real name versus an alias. I don't particularily like the use of aliases by manufactuers or dealers.

As for the moving of the thread, you are correct - Colorfacts can be used with CRTs. I only moved it in an attempt to consolidate the links to keep everything all in one place. Unforunately, I found out that there was no way to merge the threads - call me an Admin rookie, sorry.

I think we should start a new thread in the CRT forum about Colorfacts as the DILARD stuff may be leading people to believe you need to own a DILA to use Colorfacts.

Thanks!

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc. www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
A little off topic.

Mark is temporaorily absent?

When is Mark getting married? It will be interesting to see if he posts on his wedding night. He has a habit of being up around 3-4:00 AM anyhow.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
842 Posts
He gets married in a couple of weeks...and I've not been able to convince him to carry his Immersive vacation pack (laptop, cellphone, pager) with him on his honeymoon yet! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc. www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mark-

Colorfacts looks very impressive. I think this would be a great tool for home theater installers to optimally calibrate their customer's projectors.

However, it is going to be hard for me to justify purchasing this calibration tool for setting up my individual projector. I mean once I have it all setup, the use of the tool is complete. For the budget conscience, $1000 is a high price to pay for an initial calibration.

Have you ever thought of some type of weekend rental program for ColorFacts? It would be great to rent it for a weekend in order to calibrate my projector, and then return it on Monday after the calibration is complete. I would be willing to pay $100-$200 for a weekend rental.

Any thoughts?

Robert

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"No laptop. No Cell phone. No pager. No way. Not on our honeymoon."

Straight from the new boss. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

(PS - Sorry to be so off-topic myself! I just had to comment)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.