AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My powerbuy copy of Colorfacts finally arrived late this afternoon (I guess a lot of forum members took advantage of a great deal, and there was quite a backorder on the product) and I'd like to play with it tomorrow - but I have one question:

The QuickStart Guide suggests that you "reduce ambient light as much as possible" before taking the reading. Can anyone advise as to how critical it is to reduce the light, and just how dark does the room need to be??

Thanks.

htomei

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
the darker the better, ambient light falling on the sensor can cause misreadings.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Htomei,

Any results yet? I just received my key this AM - starting to go thru the process. My initial measurements are somewhat interesting – I now know that:

· Contrast radio is somewhat surprising: ~900:1

· My device primaries are pretty far away from the ntsc standard (esp. red and green. Blue is relatively close.)

· Color temp is not exactly D65.

· This is going to take a little tweaking.

One problem that I am having is saving the graphs and data. I right click on the graph and select the ‘save chart’ or ‘save data’ and nothing happens. Same if I select it from the file menu…

Anyone see this before? Any suggestions? I really don’t want to start making major changes before I can save the initial measurements as a reference.

Thanks for the help,

-jeff

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff,

Haven't been able to start calibration yet. As the pj is much easier to move than my computer (which is basically built into custom cabinetry), I'd hoped to bring the projector into the den (where the computer is located), but that room's very bright with very limited light control. I'm waiting for my hubby to return to town so he can disconnect and move the computer.

By the way, where did you place your sensor relative to the lense of your pj? Were you able to use just the included mount, or did you have to use a tripod as well?

htomei

·
Registered
704 Posts
I used the mount as well as a tripod. also had to use 3 chairs to make up the difference in height to the pj's lens. I started with the sensor about 18" or so away from the lens - at this distance I was around 3K on the aim meter utility (not sure what the max range is).

I think that I am going to try the sensor closer next time to see if I get a different contrast ratio number, the 900+ seems a little high (maybe not enough sig digits on the black level value).

have fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.