AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a new eyeone display lt unit I purchased to use with colorhfcr for calibration of my tv. I have run into the same thing I have been seeing others run into - that same bad red reading issue which flies way off the chart. As it appears colorhfcr is the issue so I am looking elsewhere.

From my research my options appear to be calman or chromapure, correct?

I went over budget on the tv for a turkey day special, and I just cant fit another 200 bux for calibration software in.

I wish either of them offered temporary license rentals or other more budget minded alternatives for non professionals.

Are those really my only alternatives?

·
Registered
12,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz /forum/post/19577983

As it appears colorhfcr is the issue so I am looking elsewhere.

Not true. The main advantage of CalMAN or Chromapure is that when you get a software/meter bundle they can sell you an 'enhanced' version which has special offset tables to correct the response of the meter for various display types. They use a reference grade 5nm spectroradiometer to make the tables.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
tasty,

Please give more detail about "I have run into the same thing I have been seeing others run into - that same bad red reading issue which flies way off the chart."

How did this manifest itself? What specifically did you see? A copy of a chc file would help.

Larry

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Right larry, I never seen it before except with a bad probe.

Where did you buy the probe from? Probes sitting around for a while can be off even if never used.

Athanasios

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I picked up the probe from amazon hoping that they would have cycled a lot of stock giving me a fresh one.

The set I was tweaking was a panasonic th42px60u plasma, and it was surprisingly close with the settings it had entered. These were calibrated by eye as best I could with a dvd and not entering the service menu. This set had me pretty impressed.

I adjusted the drive and push to be pretty dead nuts on high and low according to the meter which resulted in a MARKED degradation visually. I knew I was adjusting it too far to be good but decided to trust the meter at first. The red was reading so low that even with the meter showing it dead on fleshtones were EXTREMELY red visually, almost glowing and very clipped.

I calibrated using avshd 709 via my ps3 and followed the greyscale for dummies guide to a T.

I searched the forum and came up with multiple threads by people saying their colorhcfr was reading reds very wrong with the eyeone display colorimeter such as this one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1103136&page=2

I no longer have the set as I sold it to help pay for the new one. I decided to post here first however so I could get some more answers. I spent a few hours chasing my tail on the last set.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi tastyratz,

I, like you, initially started with colorHCFR and an i1LT meter and also found that the meter was under reading red by as much as 10-15%.

After my initial greyscale calibration I also noticed that images of people appeared quite red. I though something was terribly wrong with the meter when I almost ran out of red in the "r-gain" slider during greyscale calibration.

I saved up and bought CalMAN enhanced Colormunki bundle. After I recalibrated greyscale with the calMAN and Colormunki the image was so much better. I only had to move "r-gain" from it's default of 25 to 26 as supposed to the previous 49 out of 50.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Granted, I don't know the details of how colorhfcr works but I would tend to doubt the software is causing a underreading of red.

I would think it would use the eyeone driver dll to ask the meter what it sees and then simply display the results.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz /forum/post/19580471

I picked up the probe from amazon hoping that they would have cycled a lot of stock giving me a fresh one.

I searched the forum and came up with multiple threads by people saying their colorhcfr was reading reds very wrong with the eyeone display colorimeter such as this one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1103136&page=2

It sounds like is your meter, these things are not perpetual, they need adjusting and recalibrating every so often. If your meter is less than a year old I would try making your warranty good.

I have an Eye-1 that it started acting up, compare to another meter... so, yes if they sit for too long or even with time they need to be readjusted.

If the meter is less than one year old go your warranty way, if not either get a new one, or recalibrate that one.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
tasty,

Two questions:

What version LT did you get -- rev A, B, or C? I have found rev A to be more stable than the others.

What TV are you calibrating?

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you had the px60u -- which has only grayscale adjustments available. That limitation on the TV and your description of the problem confuses me.

Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts