AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I calibrated my 36" Toshiba with DVE this weekend, and while I am very happy with the way the brightness and contrast turned out, my colors now seem "weak" and less vibrant then before. All colors, particularly red, don't have as much "pop" to them. Is this how the NTSC video is actually supposed to look, or did I use the color filters wrong? I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
The colors certainly shouldn't look flat, but usually TVs are horribly over-saturated with color and this is un-natural. If you followed the instructions and used the blue filter correctly you should have accurate color. I would suggest some time to get used to accurate settings, and compare the way things look to the real world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVE demonstrated that the red channel might be oversaturated even after using the blue filter and called for lowering the color setting a bit. Doing so made the red, green, and blue channels "equal and level" (to use their terminology), but did weaken the colors somewhat, though I certainly wouldn't say they were flat. Perhaps you are right about having my eyes adjust to the picture. The entire purpose of DVE is to make the images we see appear exactly as they were filmed in the "real" world, correct?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GoNYIsles
The entire purpose of DVE is to make the images we see appear exactly as they were filmed in the "real" world, correct?
Thats not entirely correct. The purpose of DVE is to make images appear exactly as the director of the film intended. As I'm sure you've noticed many films have a dominant tint to them (Underworld, Matrix, etc.) so the image on the film itself doesnt look exactly as it was filmed in the "real" world.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can usually get the blues calibrated perfectly, but do struggle more with the reds and especially the greens. Is this pretty common? I don't have many adjustmment options, so I'm sure I'll have to compromise some. Also, is the best way to tame an oversaturated red to lower the color or decrease the tint?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
If your set exhibits red push, lowering the color saturation does NOT solve the problem, but may make it more palatable. Use blue as your reference, and if red push is objectionable, then you can tweak color saturation to taste. If you're using red as your indicator, you may end up with too much color drained away, which is worse IMO, than having more correct colors albeit with red push.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that if a person on TV and is also standing next to it(TV), you should have the same color saturation and (tint) as on the set as the person live in the room. We are calibrating for a reason right!?

The problem with many sets "red push" is that as you turn the color setting down let say to where red should be the other colors as really lacking and too close to black and white. Kind of a shame of manufactures are going that route but that is realistic. 95% of the time red push can only be reduced by way of the service menu. All controls in the service menu interact is some way sooooooooo

Dave

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Red push, if present in consumer grade displays, is usually not correctable without some creative changes on component in, or through color-decoder adjustments (which is a very rare feature to have even in service menus). It is *not* a global red adjustment, which is also usually accessed in service menus.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do any of you deviate from DVE's "true" color settings? I just seem happier with my color set 10-15% higher than what it's "supposed" to look like. I was just curious how many of you only use the color filters as a general reference but tweak to suit personal preference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.