AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I decided on buying the Nvidia 760 GTX Superclocked Video Card and I installed it into my Windows 7 64 bit PC. It replaced an ATI Radeon 6900 Video Card. I installed the drivers from the disk and then installed the latest drivers. Unfortunately when watching movies colors seem way too dark. I have an older PC (with an Nvidia GTX 460) connected to the same Panasonic TC-P42St30 Plasma TV as the PC with the new Nvidia 760 GTX and colors are much brighter. I have the exact same settings in Nvidia's Control Panel on both PC's. Both PC's are connected by HDMI to the TV. In settings I have RGB set on both PC's. Raising the brightness of the TV doesn't really help. Increasing the brightness in Nvidia's control panel makes the picture quality in movies brighter but slightly faded. I use VLC, Pot Player and MPCHC with MadVR.

Please help.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Have you double checked that everything on the TV is set exactly the same for each input? I believe all the settings have to configured individually for each input.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy05  /t/1525935/colors-way-too-dark#post_24572289

Thanks.

What setting should I check? all picture settings are the same on both inputs.

I would just systematically go through every option on your TV. In additional to typical color and contrast settings there are usually separate 'input' or 'hdmi' settings. That's usually where you choose "full" vs. "limited" pixel settings. Alternatively for testing purposes, you could just try plugging your new HTPC into the HDMI input that the working HTPC is using.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Gamma is one setting to check on TV and the PC .HDMI can output in RGB or YCbCr as yppu alresdy know your videcard can be set to output one or the other *some TV's *may work better on one or the other .The advantage of YCbCr 4:2:2 is that it can be sent as 10bit (or 12bit) video via HDMI RGB 4:4:4 is restricted to 8bit .

Maybe try a custom resolution 1080p /59Hz ....sometimes on *some sets that works better

than 1080p/60Hz .

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
Sounds like a color space mismatch, e.g. your video is played back and output by the video card as PC color space (full range) while your TV is configured to Video color space (limited range, standard on all TVs).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Forgot to mention YCbCr 4:2:2 is the usual for HDTV,Blue Ray players,DVD etc . While PS3 can be either that or RGB 0-255

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help.

The HDMI RGB Range is set to Auto on both inputs. I changed it to 16-235 and I did the same on the Nvidia control panel but I don't see any difference in brightness. The TV also has an option called "Standard" should I try that setting?

I will try switching inputs.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy05  /t/1525935/colors-way-too-dark#post_24574048

Thanks for the help.

The HDMI RGB Range is set to Auto on both inputs. I changed it to 16-235 and I did the same on the Nvidia control panel but I don't see any difference in brightness. The TV also has an option called "Standard" should I try that setting?

I will try switching input

I'm assuming any energy saver /eco settings , light or auto brightness/contrast settings are off on the TV . Other than that if Gamma on either the video card or TV is to high it can wash out the color also . Rec-709 gamma setting is 2.2 YMMV.

·
Registered
12,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy05  /t/1525935/colors-way-too-dark#post_24574048

Thanks for the help.

I will try switching inputs.
Try set TV to full range.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts