AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 for my HTPC because its the cheapest solution for an OTA HD DVR. I'm using 7MC (32 bit) and I've noticed that the picture looks slightly washed out compared to the picture from my TV, and may possibly be a little less crisp, though its hard to say without a side by side comparison. The picture settings for both inputs (Antenna and HDMI1) are the same.

Is this a common problem for PC Tuner cards, or could it be something media center is doing? I didn't install the WinTV app for the card, just the drivers and let media center auto setup everything. Also, is media center doing any sort of compression on the signal because its recording it to the hard drive?

I really like the recording options using my PC, but will not put up with an inferior picture for it. I've tried changing settings in both the CCC picture options as well as the actual TV's picture options, but I just can't seem to make it look as good from the TV. Any suggestions?

Setup:

Gigabyte MA78GPM-UD2H (780g chipset) connected to a Samsung LN46A860 via HDMI through a HK AVR254 Reciever. Shark007 codec pack installed.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your TV sets and saves it's PQ quality setings separatly for each interface conection. Is it possible that your are using the same PQ settings for input from your PC connection that you are using for inputs from your other sources. The settings for each source to your TV are saved separatly to copmpensate for differences in input picture quality.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply (were you drunk while writing it though? haha). For other reasons I went from x64 to x86 Windows 7 and along the way the washed out picture problems went away. However, I still notice that the picture is slightly less crisp and defined compared to the tv's tuner. Is this typical? I figure that the extra steps of going from ANT > Tuner Card > Graphics Card HDMI out rather than just ANT > TV might incure some quality loss, as well as whatever 7MC is doing with the picture while it records it.

Alternatively, could this be an issue with my tuner card? I got the HVR 1600 only because someone was selling it for really cheap, so if there's something else out there that will give me superb picture, I am willing to spend the money.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I obviously did a poor job of editing my previous post prior to releasing it. I have now edited it.

The tuner card itself receives the same digital signal that your TV does. The PC program you are using to watch TV in conjnction with your graphics card and driver control the quality of the image being sent to your display.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
It's mostly software driven, as stated. You may have set video settings on your ANT signal that are alterating the original image into an image you apparently like more.

It could also be color issues between your PC and your TV, if your blacks look washed out. PC defaults to 0-255 color scale but TV shows are recorded in something like 16-235, I believe. There are settings within the PC and or TV to help this. I know for Samsung, it is 'black level' normal or low.

Your best bet is to get a DVD and or BD video display calibration disc and run it on your PC.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17053391

I obviously did a poor job of editing my previous post prior to releasing it. I have now edited it.

The tuner card itself receives the same digital signal that your TV does. The PC program you are using to watch TV in conjnction with your graphics card and driver control the quality of the image being sent to your display.

Im not noticing any drop in HD PQ , in fact i think it looks better.

Now sdtv, that is far inferior to my settop.

Try updating drivers and I also believe that win7 RTM has a far superior set of codecs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've got the color and blacks correct using both the TV picture options and the CCC options (changed the gamma, black levels, and pixel format among other things) but its the actual quality of the image, not colors/contrast. It just doesn't "sparkle" like the TV's HD does, like its being slightly compressed. Does the Win7 DVR compress the picture as it displays/records it?

I can't think of much else I can do settings wise to get the picture looking any better. I will continue to play around with things, but since I have a pretty bare install as it is right now, I might try the RTM version of 7 and see if its any different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.