AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because I believe I've narrowed the issue down to the Pioneer but I'd like a second opinion.

I just got a 60" Panasonic ST60 and a Intel NUC to run XBMC under Windows 7. I already owned the Pioneer VSX-1019AH. Everything is connected via HDMI and the sequence is NUC -> Pioneer -> Panasonic. When I view static images or video with solid blues or reds I get some wicked banding or crush? I'm not sure what it's called but it looks like there is supposed to be a nice red gradient but instead you get awful splotches.

I tried all kinds of settings on the NUC and no matter what I did I could not correct the colour problem. Then on a hunch I bypassed the Pioneer and connected the NUC directly to the Panasonic. This caused 99% of the problem to go away. If you stand right up to the TV and look hard enough you can still see a bit but it is significantly better than when running the video through the Pioneer.

I've done a bit of a hack so my audio will leave the NUC via HDMI and go into my Pioneer and the video will leave via DP and go directly to the TV. This works for now but ideally I want everything running through one cable again all through my AVR.

Do I sound like I'm on the right track? The issue must be the Pioneer VSX-1019AH at this point messing up the colour space of the video signal. Are these units known to have this problem? I did some quick Googling and couldn't find anyone complaining about it. Would an upgrade to a AVR with a better video processor solve my problem and let me go back to running everything through the AVR and only needing to use one input on my Panasonic? Is there some settings on the Pioneer I can't find that lets me control the colour range or HDMI signal settings that I should change?

I've been eyeballing those Marantz 600x/700x AVRs and this seems like a really good excuse to upgrade if it will solve the problem.

If additional detail is images are required I can provide just ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am having the same issue, but with a Pioneer VSX-1122-K 7.2 AV receiver.

When I connect through the receiver (HDMI), I see color banding on my TV no matter what source I use (DirecTV, Chromecast, etc.).

When I connect the DirecTV receiver directly to the TV, I see no such color banding.

Fizi, did you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts