AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my monitor settings I have the option to set it to two different colour temperatures either 6550K or 9300K. I can also set it to a custom level with bars for red green and blue. I am curious as to what would be the best setting?

I find that 6550 gives everything a red tint while 9300 gives a blue one. I am using Colorific and the Adobe Photoshop calibration programs though I am having difficulty in getting the settings to match. i.e. what works in the tests doesn't look good.

Can anyone give a recommended procedure for colour calibration? i.e. firstly the driver gamma brightness and contrast, then the monitor adjustments, then run the calibration program..

Thanks for anyhelp..

Martin

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've done some further research it seems 6500K is the recommended setting for graphics work, but I am still unsure as to the correct setting for DVDs. Apperently most monitors are set to 9300K as default because most users prefer the brighter results.

For the desktop I have also heard some contradictary advice about the correct gamma setting for windows apperently the default is 2.2 and that is the best setting for web browsing. However some adivice for graphics work says 1.0 is recommended.

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Martin

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is what I'm doing to adjust colors. It may be wrong.

First, change color temperature to 6500K. Some says 5500K is better for images, but I'm using this monitor for both text and image. So, I'm using 6500K. If you feel color is too red, adjust contrast and brightness of the monitor first. Often, our eyes feel red if the brightness is not enough.

Second, adjust brightness and contrast by monitor. I don't use computer side brightness or contrast. Use gray-scale bar from white to black to adjust both.

In order to adjust color correctly, color filters are needed. I don't want to buy them, so I just adjust images by my eyes. :)

After that, I modify gamma little from DVD players if it's possible. You also can use Adobe gamma for imaging purpose, but I think it doesn't work for overlay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.