AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a JVC RS-35 and have been having a good crack at calibrating it. Setting the colour of black using the colour temp offsets, would you set it to D65 or go for the darkest colour possible, which wouldn't be D65?

In very dark scenes, the JVC's colour temp can get quite wayward. I have an i1Pro and a Display 2 with Calman, and a Radiance XD to control and set it.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjulio /forum/post/19504003

I've got a JVC RS-35 and have been having a good crack at calibrating it. Setting the colour of black using the colour temp offsets, would you set it to D65 or go for the darkest colour possible, which wouldn't be D65?

In very dark scenes, the JVC's colour temp can get quite wayward. I have an i1Pro and a Display 2 with Calman, and a Radiance XD to control and set it.

In theory, it wouldn't even be D65, since black should be the total absence of light-no color. But since displays really can't produce this, D65 should probably be the target. With that said, good luck finding any meter that reliably reports color at levels near black. What I'd do is get to D65 at the lowest possible luminance I can trust my meter, then look for any color tint at black. Finally, I'd adjust as necessary to eliminate the tint.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjulio /forum/post/19504698

That's what I've been doing. Just wondering if I'm sacraficing much black level for accuracy.

Honestly, I doubt that you are. If you're really concerned, put up a grayscale ramp or step pattern and try lowering the black level a click or two at a time while watching for color shift or tint at the low end. Hopefully you can get better blacks without a tint creeping in.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/19504757

Honestly, I doubt that you are. If you're really concerned, put up a grayscale ramp or step pattern and try lowering the black level a click or two at a time while watching for color shift or tint at the low end. Hopefully you can get better blacks without a tint creeping in.

That's basically what I do visually using ramps and such. Use a reliable measurement a fair bit above black, then visually compare to make sure there's no obvious tint happening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts