AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 833 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi John,
For the "Calibration Patches" the two options "OFF" and "Automatic" are always available.
In addition, the options offered by the selected instrument are then displayed.
The option "Automatic" is actually more intended for the network server. With local TPGs a "default" setting is taken.
The option "Off" has a very important meaning in CS. For reasons of operational safety, you must always switch the Calibration Pattern to OFF first if you want to change the settings.
At the first time this may be a bit annoying, but soon you will realize that this is a very good way to avoid wrong switching of the TPG. :)

In the beginning you will - like me - start a measurement and no patterns will be displayed. Then you have forgotten that the calibration patterns are still set to "Off". When using the Network Server (Client) this happens to me all the time and so I asked Steve to check if the Calibration Pattern is "Off" when starting a measurement. :D
Peter

Reactions: T( )( )L and jrref

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Please note that 'Automatic' uses the patch size/position/BG colour/etc info from the 'Settings' menu, for those devices that support such settings.
It is not just limited to the 'Network Server', and can provide a far greater level of TPG control.

Steve

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
For those trying to calibrate a 20120 LG OLED, by default the Black Level is set to Auto from the factory. You need to set it to Low or your min luminance is going to be wrong. Best i can remember it used to be set to low by default.

Also can someone point me to the 10pt, or 20 pt profiles that i can use to check the set manually or do i need to create them myself. Not sure where to find them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since I have disks for calibrating both 4K and SDR. I can do both right? Or is it recommend to calibrate to calibrate one or the other.

Also I read to wait use the TV for awhile like two weeks before calibrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi Steve,
during the test I noticed that the measurements for black (0,0,0) and white (255,255,255) for CS are so important that they are partly automatically supplemented by the program.
Therefore some rules should be followed when using own CSV files. These seem to me to be a bit stricter than for LS.
Maybe it would be good if you give an explanation why and when these two measurements are important for CS.
Peter

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi Steve,
during the test I noticed that the measurements for black (0,0,0) and white (255,255,255) for CS are so important that they are partly automatically supplemented by the program.
Therefore some rules should be followed when using own CSV files. These seem to me to be a bit stricter than for LS.
Maybe it would be good if you give an explanation why and when these two measurements are important for CS.
Peter

black is needed as system black point for certain color spaces (e.g. BT.1886, Rec 709 does not need it) and LS own custom dE variant. white is needed as system white point for all following color science. standard stuff and a good failsafe, but CS should obviously check whether these patches exist already in the patch set.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hi Steve,
Peter
No, there is no difference with ColourSpace and LightSpace with regard to Black/White.
They are always taken from measurements, IF AVAILABLE.

But, to plot EOTF you MUST have Black/White data, so that is set from the 'Settings' menu initially, until true Black/White have been measured.
(LightSpace never plotted EOTF from manual measurements, so never needed Black/White to be set initially.)

Steve

·
Registered
159 Posts
@Iron Mike & Steve
Thank you very much.
These are good reasons and I admit that with the Jeti I secretly wanted to do without the black level measurement. :D
Peter

·
Registered
970 Posts
black is needed as system black point for certain color spaces (e.g. BT.1886, Rec 709 does not need it) and LS own custom dE variant. white is needed as system white point for all following color science. standard stuff and a good failsafe, but CS should obviously check whether these patches exist already in the patch set.
Black and white levels are always needed also for a proper dE2000 calc.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
These are good reasons and I admit that with the Jeti I secretly wanted to do without the black level measurement. :D
Peter
You do not 'need' to have a measured black value, as the value entered in the Settings' menu will be used for graph plotting.

When generating a LUT, if this value is pure zero (or an obviously inaccurate value), a more realistic black value will be generated from the profile data.

Steve

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Black and white levels are always needed also for a proper dE2000 calc.

proper is subjective - there's only the standard and variants. so it's exactly like I stated above.

·
Registered
378 Posts
so, I'm curious. I've had kind of a frustrating day and now I am curious to know if I were to look into this program, which one would be the perfect set for me? I want to be able to calibrate a Sony X950G, and others later, but I also want to create 3d luts for madvr. I am also really interested in the volumetric profiling method, so I do want to be able to do that as well. The other thing I wanted to know is if there was a modded dll for a retail version of an I1 display pro? I have a retail version, plus an EFI ES-2000 spectro

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
proper is subjective - there's only the standard and variants. so it's exactly like I stated above.
Sorry, 'proper' is not subjective.
Miki is totally correct that without an accurate black level reading you cannot get accurate dE values.

Steve

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Also can someone point me to the 10pt, or 20 pt profiles that i can use to check the set manually or do i need to create them myself. Not sure where to find them.
You can make them yourself easily.
There is an example CSV on the 'Manual Calibration User Guide' page of the website: https://www.lightillusion.com/manual_calibration_guide.html
(Near the end of the page - search for 'Multi-Point CSV')

Obviously different TVs will need different patch stimulus.

Steve

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
You can make them yourself easily.
There is an example CSV on the 'Manual Calibration User Guide' page of the website: https://www.lightillusion.com/manual_calibration_guide.html
(Near the end of the page - search for 'Multi-Point CSV')
That is a very nice guide!

Couple of small mistakes, hope you don't mind me pointing them out to make it even better:
Swap between the various patches patches and double and triple check the results, as altering one patch will effect the others
Double word typo, and then either "will have an effect on", or "will affect". ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unable to get proper profile ... ?

Hello All,

I hope that somebody can shed a bit of light for me as I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if I need to replace lamp on m projector (Sony VW520Es) or if its panels are gone.

I've tried to calibrate my projector on my new room but it seems that or I can't really get correct measurements or that my projector has something wrong :-(

I've attached a grey scale only and a 7^3 cube profile... somehow they don't seems to be right ... when I create a LUT I always get a "-100% within the target gamut" .

Could someone please have a look and tell me if there's something obviously wrong ?

My projector is a sony vw520es with ~2300 hours on the lamp.
The probes used for getting the profile are an i1display rev b and an i1pro2 spectro

Time to change the Lamp ?

thanks for the advice.

have a nice afternoon,

Benedetto

Attachments

·
aka jfinnie
4,219 Posts
Hello All,

I hope that somebody can shed a bit of light for me as I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if I need to replace lamp on m projector (Sony VW520Es) or if its panels are gone.

I've tried to calibrate my projector on my new room but it seems that or I can't really get correct measurements or that my projector has something wrong :-(

I've attached a grey scale only and a 7^3 cube profile... somehow they don't seems to be right ... when I create a LUT I always get a "-100% within the target gamut" .

Could someone please have a look and tell me if there's something obviously wrong ?

My projector is a sony vw520es with ~2300 hours on the lamp.
The probes used for getting the profile are an i1display rev b and an i1pro2 spectro

Time to change the Lamp ?

thanks for the advice.

have a nice afternoon,

Benedetto
It's a pretty nasty profile (well below RE709 gamut, bad RGB separation, brightness well below reference for even SDR) but they both build Fit Space LUTs fine for me, and report more or less representative coverages. This is what I have set to try and build a LUT. Peak Chroma also works on the 7^3 but it is very rough looking as the source profile is... pretty terrible.

To try and address the issues in your base profile you really want to try and find a display mode where the projector colour management is bypassed as much as possible if you can, and results in a better RGB separation chart. I can't believe the PJ measures quite so bad though, so you could also consider getting better quality readings by measuring from lens with a diffuser in place on the meter, instead of from screen. You can have your calibration take account of the screen still by using spectro facing screen and colorimeter facing lens, and referencing the from lens measurements against the screen measurements. I do this to great effect with my own PJ and allows you to get very quick and very good quality profiles.

Here is me building a FIT LUT. Do the options you have selected match what I have? Or do you have other options set?

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, Benedetto,
the measuring result of the VW520ES is so bad that we first have to check the measuring setup and the settings before we can judge the condition of the projector.
There must be something wrong, because 0%, 5% and 10% provide the same brightness. Was there extraneous light?
This would go beyond the scope of this thread and therefore I send you a PM.
Peter

321 - 340 of 833 Posts