AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1247 Posts

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #941 (Edited)
LG OLED Troubleshooting

Before Calibration:

A lot of CX, from the data I have; they have not good factory calibration.

C9 had better factory calibration.

If the CX you have has a good factory calibration, it will provide slightly better calibration from C9.

When you fix the factory calibration of a CX using the RGB separation chart of ColourSpace, it will provide slightly better calibration from C9.

You can see that by looking at the RGB Separation using Profile of Primary before starting Calibration. (with contrast @ 85 and Color @ 50)

You can improve the factory problem by taking multiple Profile of Primary Color and compare RGB separation charts using different Contrast settings (84, 83, 82, 81, 80) and then Color (51, 52, 53, 54, 55).

Most of the time, the factory problem's improvement will come by setting Contrast @ 80 and Color at 54-55, but each unit may need different values.

See here:

ColourSpace CMS - Next Generation Calibration... Thread

After Calibration (source related issues):

Some issues reported with older BlackMagicDesign DeckLink Cards with HD output.

When you have issues with the input signal, you can use the HDMI Diagnosis menu to determine what signal TV is receiving:

2019 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

You can use the HDMI Override menu to force HDR10 to an SDR signaling of DeckLink cards (they use Hd Fury for that with C9, with CX that secret menu can be used):

Lg Oled Terrible Uniformity

If you have a problem with any older DeckLink card with HD output, then you can disable the Deep Color to the specific HDMI you have connected the DeckLink card:

LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread

Your HDMI port will become 300 MHz, work like HDMI 1.4, without HDR support.

Dimming Issues

If you have dimming issues with 2018/2019/2020 models, you can disable GSR:

LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread

Pre-Calibration Issue using Service Menu White Balance

Its been reported that some units have problems with SM; the SM window closes several times without user prompt. (100% LG development bug)

If you have problems to pre-calibrate 109% White using SM Menu, you can ignore it and let the 3D LUT fix it.

You have to determine which OLED Light setting will provide you 124 nits @ 109% White.

Use regular TV menu RGB High controls to pre-calibrate 109% (keep one channel at the default position, reduce the other two channels only).

When you have 124 nits @ 109% White, let's say by using R High 0, G High -6, B High -15, then restore these controls to 0.0.0 and start the 3D LUT profiling.

This trick will determine which OLED light will provide you 124 nits in post-calibration.

You will do this as we don't want the problematic regular TV menu to have active processing, so ColourSpace and the 3D LUT will fix these issues.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #942
Calibration notes for LG OLED 2020 TVs

Below you will see some general calibration notes for LG OLED TV 2020 users, critical before starting any pre-calibration / profiling.

OLED Light @ Service Menu White Balance Menu

The Service Menu OLED Light adjustment, named as 'Backlight' of White Balance screen of Service Menu is now working.

It was not working with 2019 models. It was locked to work with 100 value when the SM WB menu was opened, so any adjustment was not making any measurable difference.

HDMI Black Level Setup

The TV HDMI Black Level setting for the HDMI input the PGenerator (or other RGB generator) is connected, has to configured to LOW and not to AUTO.

When you send RGB 16-255 patches with HDMI Black Level @ AUTO (the default setting), it will provide a black level of ~0.4 nits. (levels-mismatch).

Please be sure that the HDMI Black Level has LOW for the TV to provide the native (and correct) black level.

AUTO setting understands that you are sending 0-255 levels, with 0 as Reference Black and 255 as Reference White.

The Black Patch will appear as a 6.3% Gray patch instead of 0% Black.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #943
LG OLED 2020 Templates (for LightSpace/ColourSpace users)

It is available for ColourSpace/LightSpace users with a paid license level (HTL, or higher) the LG 2020 Template with iTPG support.

It will support LG 2020 BX, CX, GX, WX, ZX OLED TV models.

Users can request access to the LG Template here.

The LG 2020 iTPG, unlike LG 2019 iTPG, it will not require any additional digital level offset to reduce digital errors.

According to LG, it's a bit-perfect patch generation solution, positioned after the HDMI Input, before any processing.

However, we will need more data to figure out if it can match a reference patch generator from the TVs' HDMI Input.

DeviceControl Interface with LG OLEDs 2019/2020 iTPG support

There is available an updated version or DeviceControl Interface (2.0.19).

DeviceControl will not check for updates automatically without a user's prompt. (for more info, see here)

Users can update their current DeviceControl installation and generally check for newer versions from inside their DeviceControl Interface.

Please click on ''?'' and then ''About Program'', and the software will check for the availability of updates.

When it's available a new software version, click the download button.

It's important to close and re-open DeviceControl Interface after the installation of the update.

I have uploaded the new installers to that page, but updating from inside DeviceControl Interface will work also.

LG Templates Update Procedure

DeviceControl will not check automatically for newer LG Templates unless the user checks for updates manually.

Please click on ''Cloud'' and then ''Cloud Refresh'', and the software will refresh the ''Cloud'' area.

For more info about how to transfer a new template to the user 'Local, please see here.

LG OLED 2019/2020 Templates will require to have installed the latest version of Device Control (2.0.19).

Direct LAN for PGenerator

The latest release of the PGenerator will support the Direct LAN connectivity method. (not through router).

Users will able to connect their PGenerator directly to their notebook/desktop system using a LAN cable.

You can find info about how to download or how to update the PGeneretor here.

We recommend the users to use the direct LAN connectivity method.

Using the direct LAN method with PGenerator, it can provide increased stability during patch generation.

It can prevent any random network delay issues using Wi-Fi or LAN compared to the standard (through the router) connectivity method.

Random Network errors can introduce out-of-sync issues during patch generation with meter errors.

Before using Direct LAN, while the PGenerator is connected through the router, open the Device Control Interface using 127.0.0.1 as an address from a browser.

For the Direct LAN function to work, users have to insert ''0'' as IP address to Modify -> Modify Device -> Device IP.

The Auto-Discovery function will be enabled when the IP address is ''0''.

After applying that setting, reboot PGenerator and connect the LAN cable from PGenerator directly to your system.

When the LAN cable is connected for the first time using Direct LAN, Windows will ask if the Network is Private or Public. Please select 'Private'.

The PGenerator will appear automatically to the Network Manager of LightSpace or when you will connect as 'Network Server' Hardware using ColourSpace.

If the PGenerator is not detected from LightSpace/ColourSpace, please allow usage to the Windows firewall by adding a Windows firewall port exception.

LG 2019 Template with iTPG support for LG 2019 OLEDs

The LG 2019 Template has been updated to REV.4, to provide iTPG support also.

LG OLED 2019 iTPG will require additional digital level offset to reduce digital errors as its positioned to video pipeline after some LGs processing modules.

However, we don't recommend the iTPG for SDR since it's not matching perfectly the HDMI input signal using a reference generator.

I talk honestly and want the users to have the best possible picture.

It will be easier for me to recommend using iTPG for SDR.

However, I always want the users to know the whole truth and don't fall to marketing tricks, waste their limited free time, or have virtual good dE numbers in charts only.

I respect the free time and the passion of the enthusiast users, so they have to perform the procedure using the best possible methods for any pocket.

For LG OLED 2019 TV users who want to use iTPG, they should use 0-255 PatchScale @ LightSpace/ColourSpace Settings.

For Leon's PDF instructions for DoVi Calibration, please contact me to provide you a download link.

I will add the users to a mailing list to receive updated PDF instructions automatically when they are available.

Using the 2019 iTPG with 0-255 patch scale, it will generate 16-255 patches for SDR with TVs Contrast @ 85 or 16-235 patches for SDR with TVs Contrast @ 100.

For HDR10/DoVi patterns, using the 0-255 patch scale, it will generate 16-235 patches with TVs Contrast @ 100.

HDR10 / Dolby Vision Calibration using ColourSpace for LG OLEDs 2019/2020

For HDR10 /DoVi calibration using Leon's method for ColourSpace, LG OLED TV 2019/2029, users can use the iTPG for that procedure.

When the LG OLEDs work in a high brightness mode (HDR10/DoVi), they will provide an unbalanced output.

Due to that side-effect, it will not matter if the user will use a bit-perfect or a near-bit-perfect generator for that specific calibration procedure.

Due to stability issues with OLEDs and high-brightness output modes, the measurement's repeatability is worse compared to SDR mode.

Even if iTPG is not bit-perfect, it will not have any difference to the user, as the panels have significant deviations from one measurement to another.

Using Leon's method, the HDR/DoVi calibrations will not suffer by lifted black level or banding.

These two are known problems that users have reported using default calibration methods.

For LG OLED 2019/2020 users, who want to use iTPG, they should use 0-255 Patchscale, to generate 16-235 patches with Contrast @ 100.

Device Control Interface Update

Before using the latest templates for LG OLED 2019/2020 TVs, it will require the users to update their DeviceControl to the latest version. (2.0.19 12/Apr/2020)

Users can update their current DeviceControl installation and generally check for newer versions from inside their DeviceControl Interface.

Please click on ''?'' and then ''About Program'', and the software will check for the availability of updates.

When an update is available, users can update from inside DeviceControl, and then restart the software.

When the users with an older DeviceControl version tries to download a Template which requires a newer DeviceControl installation, a notification window will appear.

DeviceControl Interface will not automatically check for the availability of a newer version of the software or any Template update.

Users have manually check for DeviceControl Interface updates using '' ? -> About Program' for software updates or ''Cloud -> Cloud Refresh'' for Template updates.

LG 2020 PQ Curve Free Template

The LG 2020 PQ Curve Template is free for users of any calibration software.

It will require to create a DeviceControl Interface account and then send a request for adding that username to the list of users of that Free Template.

That template can be used from any LG 2019/2020 OLED TV user, even if his display has calibrated by any calibration software or not.

Be sure that an HDR10 clip is playing from HDMI Input or TVs USB port before enabling calibration from LG Template of DeviceControl Interface.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am about to try MPVM probe matching with Leon`s 10^3 (below 3 nits removed) patch set with my l1pro2 and klein k-10,do you guy`s recommend any form of driftcomp during this? I am using the 10^3 pre roll patch also,thanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I am about to try MPVM probe matching with Leon`s 10^3 (below 3 nits removed) patch set with my l1pro2 and klein k-10,do you guy`s recommend any form of driftcomp during this? I am using the 10^3 pre roll patch also,thanks.
Is this for use on a WOLED display? (I believe you have a C8)

If so, may I please suggest just using the new FCVM process (normal 4 patches of RGBW).

I know @Anger.miki will vouch for me with this, but in our weeks of testing (and I really mean weeks of intensive testing) we could find no real benefit in using MVPM over FCVM at all. In fact, when using an i1Pro2, you will most likely have more reliably consistent results just using FCVM.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is this for use on a WOLED display? (I believe you have a C8)

If so, may I please suggest just using the new FCVM process (normal 4 patches of RGBW).

I know @Anger.miki will vouch for me with this, but in our weeks of testing (and I really mean weeks of intensive testing) we could find no real benefit in using MVPM over FCVM at all. In fact, when using an i1Pro2, you will most likely have more reliably consistent results just using FCVM.
Yes its on my C8,been using the FCVM so far but MPVM made me curious,im on the roll already with this so i well see whats up,did you use any driftcomp when profiling?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
No Drift Compensation. You need it to run as quickly as possible.

It is great that you want to try it as it is a good learning experience.

But for WOLED at least, FCVM is far more reliable, far more consistent and much easier to do. That is my opinion anyway, and I am confident that Miki would agree as we spent a lot of time testing it all together in many ways over several weeks. It was the reason I was so excited when FCVM was first added to ColourSpace and "just worked" :D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What Leon said is right (it couldn't be otherwise). Don't waste your time Niclas.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Reactions: jrref and T( )( )L

·
Registered
414 Posts
Decided to go another route after the recommendations from leon and miki,so i did a FCVM probe match in screen native mode-profiled the screen-loaded lut into tv-performed another probe match FCVM in rec 709 mode-performed a verfication run,results is kind of the same as before around 0.4dE avarage.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Following (very gratefully received) positive feedback on the previously provided Dolby Vision and HDR manual calibration guides I provided with the introduction of the updated LG Templates for Device Control that enabled iTPG capability for patch generation on 2019 and 2020 LG OLEDs, I have created a comprehensive guide for full display profiling and 3D LUT generation using an external patch generator which will apply to all LG OLEDs that have internal LUT capabilities.

This means, all 2018, 2019 and 2020 LG OLEDs.

For regular, more experienced LightSpace/ColourSpace users it will have little to no benefit. But for new users to ColourSpace it will hopefully provide direction towards obtaining the expected excellent results on their very first attempt.

Pre-calibration steps, links to very specific and important information as provided by @ConnecTEDDD and plenty of screenshots are provided with all relevant settings to aid new users unfamiliar with the interface to easily navigate and achieve great results without having to fall deep into the rabbit-hole of learning the intricacies of profiling LG OLED displays.

It will be provided in PDF format (for compatibility) and will be available to all users with a paid ColourSpace licence of HTL or higher that have been granted access to the Device Control Templates for LG. As before, this restriction is due to the functions required to connect to, and upload LUTs to an LG OLED are contained within the Device Control Template for LG, and access to these templates are are only granted to users with a licence of HTL or higher. It has also been added to the zip package that Ted hosts for me that contains the guides for Dolby Vision and HDR. Please contact Ted for more information and to receive a download link.

Regarding the previous guides: In the near future, I will hopefully also be revising and updating these to contain instructions for when using an external TPG, such as the Raspberry Pi based PGenerator in combination with an HD Fury device.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have created a comprehensive guide for full display profiling and 3D LUT generation using an external patch generator which will apply to all LG OLEDs that have internal LUT capabilities.
Just read the whole document, great work!

The only thing I stumbled over:
In the verification part, in the past readings of several posts and how-tos, there was everytime the recommendation to set the patch scale to 16-235 instead of 16-255.
But that's unfortunately not the case in your new guide, I'm quite new to all this, so can you explain why?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just read the whole document, great work!

The only thing I stumbled over:
In the verification part, in the past readings of several posts and how-tos, there was everytime the recommendation to set the patch scale to 16-235 instead of 16-255.
But that's unfortunately not the case in your new guide, I'm quite new to all this, so can you explain why?
When Ted tutors new users I believe he usually recommends to profile with 16-255 and verify with 16-235. But the guys in the team who initially came up with the process always verify in the manner they profiled.

You can verify both ways, but with the little internal competition we've had going, 16-255 has been used for verification as it measures the full range of the uploaded LUT.

Ted does recommend verifying with the patch scale set to 16-235 though and for new users that is probably the safest way. I have added a note to this effect in the guide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you, for your quick reply - that makes sense. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have officially joined the "dark side" and bought ColourSpace as my Calman Home license was expiring. Please let this be the last calibration license I have to buy for a while!!! Can't wait to dive in. I would never have switched if it weren't for Ted and Leon's guides.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have officially joined the "dark side" and bought ColourSpace as my Calman Home license was expiring. Please let this be the last calibration license I have to buy for a while!!! Can't wait to dive in. I would never have switched if it weren't for Ted and Leon's guides.
As someone how did the "switch"* recently: NO REGRETS!
It's just awesome and 1000-times more intuitive to use, once you've learned the basics (And Ted's & Leon's excessive manuals, how-tos, guides and super-fast mail responses!).

* Just bought CalMAN in April and it really is annoying in so many ways!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just did my first pre cal sweep after adjusting my SM WP. I am using an i1 Display Pro Plus and PGenerator for slides. I used Leon's guide so far. I haven't done the 3D Lut profile yet. I saw this on my pre calibration RGB Balance* chart and was wondering if I need to worry yet? The WP balance looks good after adjusting the SM but the low end seems strange.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just did my first pre cal sweep after adjusting my SM WP. I am using an i1 Display Pro Plus and PGenerator for slides. I used Leon's guide so far. I haven't done the 3D Lut profile yet. I saw this on my pre calibration RGB Separation chart and was wondering if I need to worry yet? The WP balance looks good after adjusting the SM but the low end seems strange.

View attachment 3038504
That’s actually your RGB Balance chart and it looks perfectly normal. That wide spread at the bottom is just your black reading, which your meter can’t read correctly.

·
Registered
457 Posts
That’s actually your RGB Balance chart and it looks perfectly normal. That wide spread at the bottom is just your black reading, which your meter can’t read correctly.
That was my assumption. I must say the SM white balance trick worked real nice. Running a 3D lut profile now.

My initial hesitation was that coming from Calman, none of their charts visualized the error like that for near black. Also, don't be me. While I disabled all the power saving and processing settings on the TV properly, I totally forgot to set my laptop to not sleep. It stopped 10 minutes in and I had to start over.

Really like the interface of ColourSpace so far. Using "windows" in Windows. Who would of thought??!

EDIT: Here is the LUT cube. I used just over 5000 points to profile. 1000 point pre roll. Only anomaly I believe I see is in blue. EOTF is straight as an arrow.

941 - 960 of 1247 Posts