AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1380 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have seen Pizza Hut shape and SharkFins (1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5) so far generated from CalMAN.

However, I have received today from a CalMAN Home for LG user a very strange LUT.

I can't describe the shape of that 3D LUT; it's complex.

It looks like an old MS Windows Logo, but it has a strange Christian religion cross symbol internally, a LUT with some spooky meanings.

The cross is clearly visible only from one side of the 3D LUT Viewer, creepy results for sure.

Maybe Calman is connected with "the other side" and trying to tell us something. 😂😂

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
9,846 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

I would like to thank Ted for his help throughout the process of calibrating my LG CX48. It took a while for me to understand, but I'm glad Ted was patient enough to stick with me!

I used Resolve with the CX through DeckLink card as my Pattern Generator. Worked perfectly with the Monitoring levels set to 'full', SDI to 4:4:4 and 10 bit. After having done the pre-calibration as described in the PDFs, I did the profiling and verification.

It gave me only 4 points with dE2000 above 1 with 950 points below 0.5 dE. Nothing of this I could have done without Ted's help.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Do you mean the 'Colourspace CMS Calibration guides REV3'? Because I talked with the guy who made them and he states I need a Rasperri Pi with PGenerator. Or which one do you mean?
I used Resolve with the CX through DeckLink card as my Pattern Generator.
First of all, good job on getting your TV calibrated. Did you also Calibrate HDR/DV? I do want to make sure you didn't buy the DeckLink thinking it was necessary for calibration. We had a conversation about you being able to connect to the CX iTPG which doesn't cost anything. According to your reply you said someone told you that you needed to buy an external iTPG. I want to make sure that you found out it isn't true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First of all, good job on getting your TV calibrated. Did you also Calibrate HDR/DV? I do want to make sure you didn't buy the DeckLink thinking it was necessary for calibration. We had a conversation about you being able to connect to the CX iTPG which doesn't cost anything. According to your reply you said someone told you that you needed to buy an external iTPG. I want to make sure that you found out it isn't true.
I only calibrated for SDR REC709.
There was a little bit of confusion whether Resolve could output full data levels, but in the end I got the confirmation from Ted that it was possible.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
I do want to make sure you didn't buy the DeckLink thinking it was necessary for calibration. We had a conversation about you being able to connect to the CX iTPG which doesn't cost anything. According to your reply you said someone told you that you needed to buy an external iTPG. I want to make sure that you found out it isn't true.
Hi,

Resolve users get video signals from dedicated cards, which work only when you have the BlackMagicDesign Resolve working, to be sure they will get bit-perfect 10/12-bit output.

The LG iTPG not reliable, and we never trust it for 5000 SDR 3D LUT measurements.

When you use iTPG of LG, you will have 5000 full fields 100% Magenta flashes before displaying a patch, which is not good as it's heating up the panel even more.

LG iTPG of 2020 in SDR / HDR will display these magenta flashes; in HDR, the problem is even more extensive as it's 100% Magenta full field in HDR, so it's stressing even more and degrade the stability of the panel.

When you use PGenerator with LG 2020, while it's a better solution, you can perform both SDR / HDR10 calibrations without HD Fury since you can use the HDMI Override menu to convert PGenerator (or DeckLink HDMI RGB output) to convert the signal to HDR10.

The DoVi iTPG is not displaying these magenta full-field flashes.

2020 LG OLEDs have a hidden HDMI override menu.

It will allow the configuration of the HDMI input metadata by overriding it.

It's the available configuration of Colorspace, EOTF, ST2086 metadata, also MaxCLL, MaxFALL.

While you send an SDR signal using PGenerator, highlight the picture mode in the main menu, and press ''1113111'' from the TV remote.

The HDMI Override menu will appear.

Then set these options for HDR10 calibration/verification:

Configuration settings can be stored per HDMI input.

It will not require to have HD Fury when you have only a 2020 LG OLED to calibrate/verify HDR10. (for LG OLED 2018/2019, it will require HD Fury)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The LG iTPG not reliable, and we never trust it for 5000 SDR 3D LUT measurements.

When you use iTPG of LG, you will have 5000 full fields 100% Magenta flashes before displaying a patch, which is not good as it's heating up the panel even more.

LG iTPG of 2020 in SDR / HDR will display these magenta flashes; in HDR, the problem is even more extensive as it's 100% Magenta full field in HDR, so it's stressing even more and degrade the stability of the panel.
TED, You are a great addition to these forums. However I do not cometely agree with this.

I have owned a DVDO TPG for a few years now. When these magenta flashes started occurring a few firmwares ago I was a bit worried as well. I did thorough testing between my DVDO and the iTPG. I did do the SDR 5000 patch set using both methods. Comparing the 2 yeilded results with no meaningful difference.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
According to your reply you said someone told you that you needed to buy an external iTPG. I want to make sure that you found out it isn't true.
Just to clarify, I didn’t tell him he needed to buy an external TPG. The specific question I was asked by the user was....

I downloaded PGenerator, but I don't know what to do with the RPI file.
To which I replied....

To set up PGenerator, all steps are explained thoroughly in the PGenerator thread.
And....

PGenerator is a Raspberry Pi based external pattern generator. So yes, it is installed on the SD Card memory of a Raspberry Pi unit.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,351
TED, You are a great addition to these forums. However I do not cometely agree with this.

I have owned a DVDO TPG for a few years now. When these magenta flashes started occurring a few firmwares ago I was a bit worried as well. I did thorough testing between my DVDO and the iTPG. I did do the SDR 5000 patch set using both methods. Comparing the 2 yeilded results with no meaningful difference.
Can you upload the 2x profile data files to take a look?

The verification of 1000 points also.

DVDO produces flashes also since it's updating each subpixel, so you are comparing 2 TPG where they produce flashes right now.

PGenerator displays a solid patch at once, the same way as Murideo.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Can you upload the 2x profile data files to take a look?

The verification of 1000 points also.

DVDO produces flashes also since it's updating each subpixel, so you are comparing 2 TPG where they produce flashes right now.

PGenerator displays a solid patch at once, the same way as Murideo.
Sure. I just moved, so all my stuff is still boxed up. Might take me a few days to get organized. I don't recall my DVDO producing magenta flashes at all though. Only the iTPG.

This is the model I have

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The DVDO doesn't flash Magenta between patches in the same way the 2020 LG iTPG does. But it does flash as it updates the next patch.

Here is a very quick comparison between the Raspberry Pi PGenerator and the DVDO AVLab TPG (the same one you have) when doing a basic scroll up and down the greyscale.

The first (visible) video is PGenerator, click the arrow to the right ot see DVDO.

This flashing has the potential to cause issues if Extra Delay is not correctly set.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The DVDO doesn't flash Magenta between patches in the same way the 2020 LG iTPG does. But it does flash as it updates the next patch.

Here is a very quick comparison between the Raspberry Pi PGenerator and the DVDO AVLab TPG (the same one you have) when doing a basic scroll up and down the greyscale.

The first (visible) video is PGenerator, click the arrow to the right ot see DVDO.

This flashing has the potential to cause issues if Extra Delay is not correctly set.
Interesting. I will check it again.
I always adjust the meter reading delay for repeatability.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,355
DVDO introduce some flashing and refreshing issue.

The problem is larger when you change between color patches, because looking at Leon's example, in grayscale, the effect is less visible.

It's a known problem from the release date of the device.

So, it will require to add some additional delay to match the stability of a solid pattern, and it will increase the total calibration time.

Many of my contacts with DVDO have bought PGenerator for that reason.

When DVDO was available, it was not available other affordable external pattern generator.

It's not that I'm saying that DVDO is not good, I have DVDO also, but you get better results with OLED and PGenerator or Murideo Six-G compared to DVDO.

Right now, you have 2 TPG, which provide a different kind of flash/flicker.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,356

Broken patch generation of LG 2020 iTPG example.

Before each patch generation, a fullscreen magenta pattern will be displayed.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Broken patch generation of LG 2020 iTPG example.

Before each patch generation, a fullscreen magenta pattern will be displayed.
Wow. That's appalling!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It’s not just the Extra Delay though.

When you consider that the patch sequences used for display profiling have been sorted to retain an average patch power, and the suggested meter settings, Pre-Roll and Stabilisation settings have all been tested and combined to prevent display drift, then these flashes have the real potential to negatively impact the final outcome.

That’s not to say that it will affect it, but it does have the real potential to, especially with the full field bright magenta flashes introduced when using the iTPG of the 2020 LG OLEDs.

This is one of the main reasons it is generally advised against using the iTPG, along with the fact it sometimes (for no apparent reason) fails to display a requested patch and also has the potential to lose sync when connected wirelessly (which many users are).

As for my DVDO, it’s great! It’s known to be accurate in both RGB and YCbCr with the added bonus of being a great pixel analyser. It’s perfect for manual calibration, but I personally never use it for multi-thousand point display profiling because I know that in my own testing that the flashes that happen on each patch change did have an impact on display drift (albeit minimal). I would use my notebook HDMI output (tested for accuracy with the DVDO of course) before using the DVDO itself.

In addition to this, the guides were created purely as a stepping stone for new users of ColourSpace unfamiliar with the tried and tested (and throughly refined) methods that have been used over several generations of LG OLED. It is assumed that these users have little to no knowledge about display profiling/LUT generation and will most likely be using consumer, low cost equipment. This is why X-Rite probes are used and referenced in the guides, as well as PGenerator (although passing reference is made to alternate TPGs).

Of course, anyone is free to experiment with whatever combination of hardware/settings they like. But as far as the guides and general recommendations go, they are intended to provide tips on getting the best final outcome first time, every time.

I hope that clears up a little about why certain recommendations are made.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,359 (Edited)
ColourSpace Beta 1.0.0.856 (13 January 2021)

Release Notes

Updated ASUS SDK to support PQ22UC.

Pre‐populate profile name change text box with original name.

Added initial integration for Plura displays.

Fixed issue with Sub Space and graphs, when doing manual measurements.

Fixed crash with Avical Patterns TPG when IP address entered, but no hardware connected.

Probe Integration time 3rd decimal place setting now remembered.

Added Cancel button to LUT Save Yes/No dialogue.

Fixed crash with hardware IP connection, if repeatedly toggled on/off.

Changed Disable 3D LUT option in madVR to Tick Box.

Fixed crash with Servant selection if Master not connected.

Fixed graph error with toggling Sub‐Space and Manual Measurement.

Temporary change to dpi‐aware operation to fix layout when display scale is over 100%.

NOTE: New Download Instructions

Please read about the new download instructions here. (Please refresh your browser cache to see the new instructions)

Installation Notes

ColourSpace Installer will completely overwrite any previously installed version, not just update it.

It will not require to un-install older releases before installing a newer version.

Update Notes

While ColourSpace is working in beta, when the users will start ColourSpace, it will not pop-up notification to inform about the availability of newer beta.

However, I will update this thread but also refresh the form page with release notes text per each beta.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Resolve users get video signals from dedicated cards, which work only when you have the BlackMagicDesign Resolve working, to be sure they will get bit-perfect 10/12-bit output.

When you use PGenerator with LG 2020, while it's a better solution, you can perform both SDR / HDR10 calibrations without HD Fury since you can use the HDMI Override menu to convert PGenerator (or DeckLink HDMI RGB output) to convert the signal to HDR10.

The DoVi iTPG is not displaying these magenta full-field flashes.

2020 LG OLEDs have a hidden HDMI override menu.

It will allow the configuration of the HDMI input metadata by overriding it.

It's the available configuration of Colorspace, EOTF, ST2086 metadata, also MaxCLL, MaxFALL.

While you send an SDR signal using PGenerator, highlight the picture mode in the main menu, and press ''1113111'' from the TV remote.

The HDMI Override menu will appear.

Then set these options for HDR10 calibration/verification:

Configuration settings can be stored per HDMI input.

It will not require to have HD Fury when you have only a 2020 LG OLED to calibrate/verify HDR10. (for LG OLED 2018/2019, it will require HD Fury)
Hi Ted,
Could we use the method to calibrate HDR 10 by using PGenerator and ColourSpace ZRO ?

1341 - 1360 of 1380 Posts