AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1639 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1
also coming from autocal sh.t (deactivated, uninstalled, deleted - I will never install it again for all those resets, unplugs, non repeatable and not acceptable results - my CX deserves better treatment...). ColourSpace is masterpiece, believe me, although I am home amateur compared to lot of great guys here.

Reactions: Andy112 and Callek

·
Registered
661 Posts
Depending on what software you're coming from, you might be used to some kind of "automated" process. Colourspace does not have that kind of functionality. This is intentional and a welcome change. But it does take some getting used to at first. The process for calibrating an LG OLED is fairly straight forward (so long as you don't forget any steps like SOME people around here :whistle: LOL). Typically you won't be touching the 1D LUT at all and instead will focus on creating a 3D LUT. The end result is a beautifully calibrated panel. I'm definitely not the person to be discussing the process itself. There are many experts in this thread that may offer assistance with that. This is a REALLY amazing group of people. The effort to learn this software (which is EXCELLENT and keeps improving with every release) is well worth it.

NOTE: I started with another product that claimed to "automate" the process and was not satisfied with the results. Ended up here with Colourspace and have never looked back.

EDIT: Sorry meant to include this link as well:

ColourSpace | LUT Calibration (lightillusion.com)
I've been manually calibrating displays for a while, but I'm definitely a complete amateur. I got started manually calibrating the 2-point Bias/Gain on my professional CRTs with HCFR, then moved on to calibrating my Kuro Plasmas and 2014 LG OLED with HCFR.

It was only recently that I decided to try the automated process of calibrating my LG C8 & C9 OLEDs and it went poorly which has me looking for other solutions. My point is that manual calibration isn't new to me, but 3D LUTs, HDR, Dolby Vision, and all the intricacies of these newer LG OLEDs are very new to me.

Should I seriously consider picking up a spectroradiometer for calibrating my displays? If so, what's the most affordable one that's considered to produce good results? Is my X-rite i1 d3 going to be able to calibrate near-blacks if paired with a spectroradiometer?

Also, will I be able to calibrate Dolby Vision on my LG C9 using the ITPG with ColourSpace?

I read through the link you posted but it seemed to keep things very high-level while ColourSpace seems to have a significant amount of options available. Is there a guide that someone has written up with step-by-step instructions for calibrating LG C8/C9/CX OLEDs?

Thanks!

Reactions: samuel.c.casilla

·
Registered
493 Posts
@SpeedDemon I started the CalMAN Home for LG thread here on AVSForum. I hang out here now and my calibration has never been better. I did add a used i1 Pro 2 spectro, to my tools after using ColourSpace for a while. It improved the accuracy of my i1 Display Pro Plus. ColourSpace has a specific EDR for your i1 Display Pro with your LG OLED that will do just fine until you invest in a spectro.

The spectro will not improve the accuracy of very low luminance readings by your i1 Display Pro, that is a limitation of the meter. In SDR, ColourSpace has features that smooth out the low luminance readings to keep the near black under control.

I have not calibrated HDR or Dolby Vision beyond setting the white point in the service menu. ColourSpace can not set the 3D LUT for those modes. If you are skilled in manual calibration, a 21 point HDR calibration is possible with a HDR pattern generator.

Instead of a spectro I highly recommend the Raspberry Pi PGenerator. It is inexpensive and RGB SDR 100% accurate. The AVSForum thread for that pattern generator is here: Dedicated Raspberry Pi PGenerator Thread.

Licensed users of the paid versions of ColourSpace can get a step by step guide to calibrating your LG OLED through @ConnecTEDDD. Read and follow the steps carefully and your panel will be the best it can be.

LeRoy

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Should I seriously consider picking up a spectroradiometer for calibrating my displays? If so, what's the most affordable one that's considered to produce good results? Is my X-rite i1 d3 going to be able to calibrate near-blacks if paired with a spectroradiometer?
A Spectro of some kind is recommended if your budget allows, It will always give more "accurate" results as your i1d3 will be profiled to a reference of some kind. If you can find a calibrator local to you to create a meter profile, that would be more cost effective than purchasing your own. Profiling to a Spectro just corrects it to read colour more accurately, ColourSpace contains a "generic" EDR for WOLED panels which helps, but profiling to a Spectro will always be better.

But the i1d3 is a beast, it is truly an excellent probe. I have been (re-) performing some tests again lately comparing it to a Klein K10-A with both meters profiled to a Jeti 5nm Spectroradiometer with outstanding results. I hope to find time to post the data at some time in the near future.

But rest assured, profiling your display for LUT generation with an i1d3 is perfectly acceptable.

Also, will I be able to calibrate Dolby Vision on my LG C9 using the ITPG with ColourSpace?
Yes, see below.

I read through the link you posted but it seemed to keep things very high-level while ColourSpace seems to have a significant amount of options available. Is there a guide that someone has written up with step-by-step instructions for calibrating LG C8/C9/CX OLEDs?

If you decide to go down the route of using ColourSpace to calibrate an LG OLED using its internal LUT capabilities, there is a step-by-step guide that I have created which you will be provided with when requesting access to the LG OLED Templates for Device Control.

The guide was initially outlined in this post and gets updated when necessary. The package also contains information doing HDR and Dolby Vision using the iTPG, along with any relevant patch sequences, etc.....

It is only provided to validated holders of a ColourSpace HTL license (or higher) that have been granted access to the LG OLED Templates for Device Control.

@ConnecTEDDD will provide more info on request, you can contact him here.

Edit: I hadn’t actually noticed that @LeRoyK had already just answered all these questions. But there you have it, double whammy 🤪

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
And that is why this community rocks. :) These are some of the experts I was referring to. liberator72 helped me IMMENSELY when I first started out and again recently when I screwed up the process by forgetting a step. These are the people you want to be listening to. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is HTL the correct licence to calibrate an LG CX using 3D LUT? I have been using PGenerator along with Calman Home for LG and an iD3 Pro Plus to calibrate manually but not getting good results even though graphs looks good.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Is HTL the correct licence to calibrate an LG CX using 3D LUT? I have been using PGenerator along with Calman Home for LG and an iD3 Pro Plus to calibrate manually but not getting good results even though graphs looks good.
It is the lowest license level that can produce and export 3D LUTs. For more advanced functions, such as LUT Tools, you need HTP or above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anyone know how I can use the DeviceControl LG 2019 Template to download the factory 3dlut for Expert Dark? I want to mix that lut using photoshop with my ColourSpace LUT Image with my Extended Patch Scale Profile lut of Expert Bright.

I cannot see a "download 3dlut" button. I assumed that one existed after all the discussion of how you can "backup" the lut data with DeviceControl.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone know if TED is ok? I used the form on his website to request the new OLED calibration guides, but did not get any reply. Or is there a different way to request the guides? I have not tried to do a new calibration since April-May last year I think, so I don't know what's the latest procedure.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Does anyone know how I can use the DeviceControl LG 2019 Template to download the factory 3dlut for Expert Dark? I want to mix that lut using photoshop with my ColourSpace LUT Image with my Extended Patch Scale Profile lut of Expert Bright.

I cannot see a "download 3dlut" button. I assumed that one existed after all the discussion of how you can "backup" the lut data with DeviceControl.
All externally generated LUTs are loaded to separate memory slots and do not overwrite the factory defaults.
The 3D LUTs they are talking about backing up are the ones they generate themselves. LightSpace and ColourSpace allow you to do this easily, while CalMAN really does not.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I believe LG may not allow read/write operations on the factory 3D LUT. All externally generated LUTs are loaded to separate memory slots and do not overwrite the factory one.
If you think about it you would never want to overwrite the factory LUTs incase there was a problem with the TV you wouldn't be able to bring it back to it's factory default.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
If you think about it you would never want to overwrite the factory LUTs incase there was a problem with the TV you wouldn't be able to bring it back to it's factory default.
I agree. I was responding to the other poster and used "read/write" out of habit (I've also done a lot of messing about with vintage computers lately).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think that is a problem for me. I have an LG C9, ColourSpace HTL, an i1 Pro 2 and an I1Display Pro 3. The i1Display produces inaccurate readings near black (it has errors of around .006 nits). My LUTs are crushing blacks according to my Astronomy camera which has errors of around .0001 nits. The LUT Mixing description on lightillusion.com recommends mixing a null LUT Image near black with a measured LUT above that in order to leave my near black levels alone.

A null LUT will not correct the native LG panel at low-light back to rec.709. I believe what I need is an accurate LUT below .1 nits that I can mix with the accurately measured LUT that I have above .1 nits. Hence my question above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a problem doing repeat measurements for 95% and 90% grey. After the initial measurement it starts measuring a percent lower than I want

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think that is a problem for me. I have an LG C9, ColourSpace HTL, an i1 Pro 2 and an I1Display Pro 3. The i1Display produces inaccurate readings near black (it has errors of around .006 nits). My LUTs are crushing blacks according to my Astronomy camera which has errors of around .0001 nits. The LUT Mixing description on lightillusion.com recommends mixing a null LUT Image near black with a measured LUT above that in order to leave my near black levels alone.

A null LUT will not correct the native LG panel at low-light back to rec.709. I believe what I need is an accurate LUT below .1 nits that I can mix with the accurately measured LUT that I have above .1 nits. Hence my question above.
Going out on a limb here but would it be worthwhile to give BlackJokers patchset a go?

Based on Leons comments here:

"As for the benefits for consumer probe users, it's not about patches below 0.1 nits. The fact there are fewer points measured, also means there are less "very" low luminance patches to be measured, thus reducing the potential of the consumer probes limitations in low light performance to contaminate the profile with unreliable readings. In addition to this, fewer patches measured means faster profiling time which equals lower chance of display drift."

I'm guessing that less very low light readings would result in a more linear near black interpolation by the LUT?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone know if TED is ok? I used the form on his website to request the new OLED calibration guides, but did not get any reply. Or is there a different way to request the guides? I have not tried to do a new calibration since April-May last year I think, so I don't know what's the latest procedure.
Ted replied after two days, and asked me to let you know he's alive :), just busy.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ted replied after two days, and asked me to let you know he's alive :), just busy.
I needed same thing as You, long time since last calibration and it´s best to follow instructions than waste hours because forgot something.

Big thanks Leon and Ted for Guide!

I suppose I can use those upcoming reports afterward, so if I calibrate at this week and check later with reports.
6eur for pie is little too much for me, however pie is very tasty ;)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've got a problem doing repeat measurements for 95% and 90% grey. After the initial measurement it starts measuring a percent lower than I want
There is a bug in the latest build that causes this. It has already been reported.

Edit: 2 Minutes after I posted this, I noticed that a new release has been made available that contains the fix for this bug.

Going out on a limb here but would it be worthwhile to give BlackJokers patchset a go?

Based on Leons comments here:

"As for the benefits for consumer probe users, it's not about patches below 0.1 nits. The fact there are fewer points measured, also means there are less "very" low luminance patches to be measured, thus reducing the potential of the consumer probes limitations in low light performance to contaminate the profile with unreliable readings. In addition to this, fewer patches measured means faster profiling time which equals lower chance of display drift."

I'm guessing that less very low light readings would result in a more linear near black interpolation by the LUT?
The patch sequence in use is not the cause of the issue being raised, of that I am 100% certain ;)

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
ColourSpace Beta 1.0.0.1025 (25 March 2021)

Release Notes

Updated Eizo SDK.

Fixed Remote Control Resolution & Patch Scale operation. (The Servant always uses the local Settings configuration)

Fixed issue with Slider Lock and patch Presets .csv lists.

Additional change to Slider operation when set to %.

Fixed error in FW Stabilisation patch size.

NOTE: New Download Instructions

Please read about the new download instructions here.

Installation Notes

ColourSpace Installer will completely overwrite any previously installed version, not just update it.

It will not require to un-install older releases before installing a newer version.

Update Notes

While ColourSpace is working in beta, when the users will start ColourSpace, it will not pop-up notification to inform them about the availability of newer beta.

However, I will update this thread but also refresh the form page with release notes text per each beta.

·
Registered
647 Posts
ColourSpace Beta 1.0.0.1025 (25 March 2021)

Release Notes

Updated Eizo SDK.

Fixed Remote Control Resolution & Patch Scale operation. (The Servant always uses the local Settings configuration)

Fixed issue with Slider Lock and patch Presets .csv lists.

Additional change to Slider operation when set to %.

Fixed error in FW Stabilisation patch size.

NOTE: New Download Instructions

Please read about the new download instructions here.

Installation Notes

ColourSpace Installer will completely overwrite any previously installed version, not just update it.

It will not require to un-install older releases before installing a newer version.

Update Notes

While ColourSpace is working in beta, when the users will start ColourSpace, it will not pop-up notification to inform them about the availability of newer beta.

However, I will update this thread but also refresh the form page with release notes text per each beta.
At last. I thought I was going mad - no change there!
I have been using Master/Servant remote control to perform volumetric probe matching between my i1Pro3 and i1Display - but ever since the Patch Scale changes in ColourSpace I get screwed results - for the Servant measurements - such that I have kept a copy of the CS version just before the changes and continued to use it instead. I assumed because no one else mentioned an issue, it must be me - but this latest BETA release may be just what I was waiting for.
Thanks Ted & Steve - I'll install the new version, and run some checks tonight.
Regards, Mike.

1581 - 1600 of 1639 Posts