AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1188 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
As of about 5 weeks ago, the last time I was checking mid-Missouri reception in south-central Gasconade county, KRCG did not have any sub-channels.

You do realize that ANYONE can edit Wikipedia articles, I hope.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,

I moved to Columbia back in August. I live near the intersection of Nifong (actually Vawter School Road) and Scott. I seem to be in a relatively high spot. I bought this Winegard FlatWave antenna when I moved here http://www.winegard.com/get-free-tv/hdtv-antenna/flatwave/ . I got everything except KRCG-CBS from the start. The antenna comes with a 15' coax, and I was able to move the antenna around until I found a spot on the wall where I got a signal in the high 20s for KRCG. It's good enough for a steady picture probably 80% of the time. I don't have any problems with the other channels.

There is one oddity about this market that I have never seen before. The PBS affiliate from Warrensburg (sp?) broadcasts in 720p. I thought that all PBS stations were 1080i?!? Also, is there a back story as to why DirecTV carries this channel in 480i? They just lop the sides of the picture off to make it fit 4:3. It's awful, and PBS is one of my favorite channels.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
533 Posts

I had not noticed KMOS was 720p but yes, just checked and confirmed that. Interesting. Another oddity about KMOS is they are actually in the Kansas City market, but serve as the PBS affiliate here as Kansas City also has KCPT for PBS. It is possible that DirecTV may regard KMOS as an out of market import ("significantly viewed" rather than local) and not give them bandwidth priority. Not sure on that -- just a theory.

And on KRCG -- that's pretty impressive for the flat wave -- that type of antenna is usually not great with VHF in my experience with a few similar models. KRCG is just difficult to get in Columbia. I have a Winegard FV-HD30 and am on a high hill on the north end of town, almost line of sight to KRCG (if there's anywhere in Columbia that would be almost line of sight to the KRCG tower, I think it would be near my location). But still only about 50-55% signal strength and have to put up with some signal breakup. My wife's parents live near your location, but at the bottom of a hill, and also using a FV-HD30, they only see about 15% signal strength. Their TV doesn't have a chance of locking it in. KRCG really needs to apply to turn up the power or move to UHF -- now that they are under Sinclair ownership, I wonder if Sinclair might invest a little in the station.  Also the only newscast in the market not in HD.

·
Banned
983 Posts
LWN will be back in. KC area in the near future. Sinclair know KRCG so it could add digital sub channels. KMOS is not KC area Cable Systems but KTWU SD is. Another problem with Wiki is for Mundofox it doesn't show 62.2 yet but KSMO TV Wiki does and not even Mundofox Website shows 62.2 yet.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Most people in and very near Columbia would be best served by a two-antenna system consisting of a VHF antenna pointed towards New Bloomfield (ch 8 & 13) and a separate UHF antenna pointed southwest (everything else, ignores ch 25). The elements need to be aimed roughly 90 degrees apart, depending on one's actual location.

I modified a ClearStream 2V for my nephew when he was attending Mizzou two years ago and it worked great for his off-campus apartment. I put the VHF element on an extension above the reflector and rotated it 90 degrees.

·
Registered
533 Posts
KQFX is now simulcast on KMIZ 17-4 in 720p. With 2 720p streams and 2 480i streams running on one channel, the picture quality on any of the KMIZ feeds has decreased further. They are now broadcasting approximately 7 Mbps per program which makes the HD channels very blocky at any significant movement on screen -- compare to KQFX-LD itself which is over 15 Mbps. 17-2 and 17-3 are both less than 2 Mbps.

·
Registered
797 Posts
At least more of Central Missouri can see the Fox programming albeit at a sacrificed quality. At only 15 kW as an LD station, KQFX has a pretty limited coverage area.

·
Registered
533 Posts
At least more of Central Missouri can see the Fox programming albeit at a sacrificed quality. At only 15 kW as an LD station, KQFX has a pretty limited coverage area.
Yes. Now I wish KRCG would get a UHF translator in Columbia and KOMU would add one in Jeff City. Then all networks would be easily receivable in the market's main population centers. The VHF signals might as well be treated as low power too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lost my KOMU!

Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, folks...

I have an issue.

I live in Fulton and I am using a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with an amplifier. Using the information on AntennaWeb, I aimed the antenna precisely in the middle of the signal directions. For years now, it's worked flawlessly, getting all the channels in the area just fine, save for the occasional hiccup during storms and sometimes in icy conditions, but that is expected.

Until yesterday. All of a sudden, I have stopped receiving KOMU/CW (8.1/8.3) totally. It says I have no signal. This baffles me, because I called KOMU and they said there is nothing wrong with their broadcast signal, yet while their station is not even coming in, I am able to get the three PBS stations (6.1/6.2/6.3), the three KRCG stations (13.1/13.2/13.3), the four KMIZ stations (17.1/17.2/17.3/17.4), Fox 22 (22.1) and KNLJ (25.1).

KOMU has always been the powerhouse station, the strongest signal out there, yet boom...nothing now. So please help me: Is there any way to get it back? I wouldn't think it's the antenna, because every other station is fine. Do I press KOMU on the issue? I want that station back!

Thank you.
Keep trying with them. I had some trouble with the KOMU signal last night too, during the first half of SNF. Couldn't tell for sure if it was an issue with KOMU or with the actual feed coming from Denver, but the signal periodically broke up then the screen went to black. It is coming in fine today though.

Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.

I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.

Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering? Due to the low frequencies used, in our home we've found that activities such as turning a vacuum cleaner on or off, running the microwave, or even turning a fluorescent bulb on or off can temporarily interrupt being able to get KOMU and KRCG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to rule anything else out, can you temporarily rotate the antenna to aim straight at KOMU and see if that causes the station to come in? KOMU does actually operate at the smallest power output of any Columbia-Jefferson City station and on the lowest frequency, which do combine to make them the most difficult digital signal to receive at much distance from the station. But since they've been the strongest for you in Fulton, that shouldn't be a factor.
I aimed it as close as I could, and nothing.

I would also recommend checking all cable connections between the antenna and the TV, including at the antenna, any splice or splitter points, wall, and TV.
I did, and I got nothing.

Here's the funny part...at one point KOMU did work for a while on both TV's I have. The smaller one worked instantly, but the other TV had to be reset. It only lasted about 15-20 minutes or so, because it has gone black again.

Are there any new devices in your home that might be interfering?
No, nothing new.

Now this you will find hard to believe, but I swear on everything good and holy that I am not lying. I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's. I kid you not. My wife was making fun of me about it, LOL.

Keep trying with them.
I guess I am going to have to. This makes zero sense...it has to be on their end. Not a single KOMU signal, but everything else is perfect. I am baffled.

·
Registered
533 Posts
KOMU has an application with the FCC to turn up their power. If they were already the strongest signal you had, and then they just turned up the power, the signal might actually be too strong and you're getting severe multipath. Do you have an amplifier of any sort? If so, does it work if you turn the amplifier down or off?

·
Registered
797 Posts
KOMU last changed their ERP several years ago. Most likely, today's issue is due to some new electrical interference or signal ingress.

What are you using for an amplifier?

I affected the signal when I got too close to both TV's.
That suggests signal ingress to me, perhaps due to a bad F-connector or similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I checked out everything...ran the antenna without amplifier, with and all measures in between. Nothing worked.

Then all of a sudden, everything was fine and remains so. Oddness for sure. I am glad to get my station back!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, folks...me again.

I swear I have the worst luck. After my above issues some time back, my television OTA reception was just fine. About a week ago, I lost stations...as in, only KOMU came in, with KRCG, PBS and KMIZ coming in occasionally and even then not totally clear. Now for the last two days I have had nothing. Noting but KOMU and KNLJ. That's it.

I tried waiting it out, but nothing seems to be happening. I checked how my antenna is pointed, and it's still firmly as it was, pointing toward the weaker KMIZ with KRCG and KOMU to each side as they are stronger. I then checked the signal booster, in case it went haywire. Nope, that didn't do it, either. Connections and cables are fine. I even reset my TV and ran an auto scan of channels, just in case. Nada.

I am at my wit's end. I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it'll magically fix itself again, but man this is frustrating. Any ideas?
The heat and humidity are causing distant signals to cut in and interfere with the local ones. See http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html for predictions on which days will be especially bad. Here in Mid-MO most of our locals are lower power, even if not technically low-power stations like KQFX, and they're getting trampled on by more powerful distant stations on the same frequencies. On the flip side, it looks like today would be a great day to pick up Springfield stations... With a powerful antenna and perfect conditions, might even see Joplin, Fort Smith or even Tulsa.

1161 - 1180 of 1188 Posts