AVS Forum banner

10101 - 10120 of 10165 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
JQP,
You should not have any issues with Wolo or most other Columbia stations with the proper antenna.
Try it without any amplification first, if needed Suggest you use THIS amp in LOW gain mode to feed your tv’s:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm

Often times folks use amps when not necessary..or recommend them without proper knowledge.
At the least, make sure you have an LTE filter on the antenna to help reduce cellular interference, they are available
at channelmaster’s site as well.
Thanks. The intent was to insert amplifier only if needed. I get sufficiently strong unamplified signals here in MD for 1 TV. However, after running that signal through a splitter once or twice for additional TVs then I find just a little boost at the beginning seems to help pull in that last station on all TVs. If needed, that variable gain Channel Master amplifier should work nicely, thanks. I had not considered an LTE filter, I really appreciate that heads-up. I have lost enough hair already without pulling out even more trying figure that one out.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Thanks.... I really appreciate that heads-up. I have lost enough hair already without pulling out even more trying figure that one out.

I hear you..Let us know how you fare when you get here and get Tv going!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Been a few years since I visited this thread! :) I scanned some posts which noted the crappiness of the CW. I have the CW via directv, and note that the commercials look like bad SD, The shows are tolerable, but it appears the sound is in Stereo. My AVR tries to break it into surround, but the dialog ends up muddled, and since I have hearing loss, I end up turning on captions.

I can stream past season of The Flash from Netflix, and they are in 5.1, and I can watch without captions just fine.

Any hope of 5.1 sound from our CW station?

David

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hear you..Let us know how you fare when you get here and get Tv going!

Wanted to check in and report results for our recently purchased house on Lake Murray in Chapin, SC. I installed ClearStream 2MAX® UHF/VHF Antenna in my attic. I inserted a 2-way splitter and ran coax to 2 different TVs. I initially scanned for channels without an in-line amplifier. Both TVs "found" all 7 of Columbia's TV broadcasters (virtual channels 10, 19, 25, 35, 47, 57, & 63). However, reception of 47 & 63 were marginal at best, so I inserted the recommended Channel Master 7777 amplifier between antenna and splitter. With amplifier inserted and set to low, reception appears rock solid on all 7 broadcasters. FWIW: no apparent LTE interference (yet?). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I see that CW affiliation is leaving channel 63, and going to be a subchannel on WIS. Anyone know if Directv is going to pick this up? I watch a lot of the CW shows! I'm hoping the pq and sound will be a lot better.

D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is anything going on with channel 57 out of Columbia? I usually get it fine here at Lake Wateree, but today there is no signal.
Same for me in Lexington. I noticed last night that the signal was gone. I double checked my antenna, rescanned, etc to no avail. I stopped by here to see if anyone knew what was going on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad someone pointed me to this thread. I just cancelled my Spectrum TV package. They promised my a certain price for 12 months but jacked it up after six months so I'm back to OTA. Couldn't figure out why the heck I couldn't get Fox, which has some good college and pro football on weekends fer shure. Hope they get it fixed sooner than later.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Glad someone pointed me to this thread. I just cancelled my Spectrum TV package. They promised my a certain price for 12 months but jacked it up after six months so I'm back to OTA. Couldn't figure out why the heck I couldn't get Fox, which has some good college and pro football on weekends fer shure. Hope they get it fixed sooner than later.
You have recourse depending on what "promised" means.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an indoor antenna and can pick up all the channels I need most of the time however I do get some interference intermittently, sometimes pretty bad, especially in summer. Could I improve my reception with some kind of amplifier? Here's my TV Fool info. Suggestions much appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038968d785791

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bump. Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!

Hmmm, is anybody there??? :)

Perhaps if you tell a little about your antenna setup (type of antenna, how many TV's the cable is sending to, etc), local viewers to your area that are reading your request about adding a pre-amp might provide some suggestions. I see you said you have an indoor antenna but didn't say if its in the attic or something hanging on the wall, etc.

I do know that South Carolina is right in the area along the Atlantic that gets frequent tropo conditions and can thus cause co-channel interference from stations beyond your immediate viewing area that are on the same channel as the locals. I have a friend that lives in Moncks Corner SC and he sees TV signals quite often to central and southern Florida.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's my RabbitEars link:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=34748

My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill:

https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-...ocphy=1025530&hvtargid=pla-323258090106&psc=1

RabbitEars requires you to enter 13 ft minimum off the ground but my antenna actually sits on the floor leaning against the wall in a corner of my bedroom, this gives me the strongest signals of any placement in my apt, including hanging from the wall. I have only one tv.

I'm only interested in the 4 networks and PBS. I get good reception about 95% of the time during winter but during the summer it's more like 70% of the time.

Thanks much for any suggestions!

·
Registered
231 Posts
My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill

Thanks much for any suggestions!

The *figure 8* is the equivalent of a two bay bowtie antenna. That is the active part of the antenna or driven elements. That is the part collecting the signals. The *grill* is the reflector. That is the rear of the antenna that rejects signals coming from the back side (opposite of the receiving signals).

Regardless of what TV market you are in, you need to make sure the driven elements are pointing towards the majority of Columbia's towers. This would mean you need to know the direction inside the apartment to aim the antenna. According to the RabbitEars study, you are less than 20 miles from all of the full power signals (channels you want). Distance shouldn't be a problem, so you shouldn't have any dropouts. It would really be best to get the antenna AWAY from any walls, which have wiring, possible metal conduit and galvanized construction stud plating materials inside. All of those things can kill DTV signals. Even insulation in the walls can interfere with DTV signals. A best scenario (if you can't put it out on a balcony) is to get it as close to a window as possible (in the direction of the towers).

With your current setup, adding a pre-amp is just going to raise the noise floor and not really help the signals.

10101 - 10120 of 10165 Posts